Author Topic: Never a Sound  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Never a Sound
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 23:35:55 PM »
Hi Juliees

I wouldn't worry about Tammi being the silent type, my cat has never been able to meow either (have had her since she was a kitten).  The only annoying thing is that she can't wake me up by meowing so she attacks my head with her paws instead!  It's odd how you can't hear Tammi purring though as Tiggy has quite possibly the loudest purr ever to compensate for her lack of voice, she still does the mouth opening but all that comes out is a little gasp of air sometimes if she is really desperate for me to notice her.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 18:50:48 PM »
Hi and Welcome to Purrs

As other have said this is more common than you would think ... too be honest there are times when I wish my little lad also had a silent miaow ... he's an Abysinnian and doesn't understand the term quiet!  He is VERY VOCAL!! of course I love him dearly and would miss his shouting if it wasn't around.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 16:17:16 PM »
She maybe is making a sound but it's beyond the range which humans can hear.  Jaffa sometimes does the silent miaow thing except it's not totally silent - he makes a very slight raspy sound in his throat!  I'd be grateful she doesn't make a noise tbh - Mosi sometimes makes rather more noise than I'd like if he thinks I'm not listening.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 15:39:49 PM »
I know one cat - the quieter girl of a brother and sister pair - who virtually only ever makes a sound when they're playfighting if it all gets a bit much - and it's only a little squeak then. I think it might be fairly common - certainly there's nothing at all wrong with the cat I know. Perhaps her brother does all the talking for the 2 of them so she feels no need?
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 12:49:14 PM »
I'm of the opinion that some cats are just more vocal than others; although as far as I can tell, when cats get older they get noisier! I really wouldn't worry too much unless your cat looks uncomfortable when doing its silent miaows. One of mine does it fairly regularly, but believe me, when he wants to make noise, he can!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline juliees

• Kitten
Never a Sound
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:28:35 PM »
Hi Everyone

We have 2 gorgeous 2 year olds, Marvin and Tammi.  Tammi has never made a sound since we got them - she opens her mouth but no sound comes out.  I can feel the vibration in her neck when she purrs but there isn't a sound.  She is a very happy, healthy, playful cat and her brother does a lot of her talking for her!

I wonder if her voice box has never developed properly - has anyone ever heard of this?

Julie x

Link to CatChat