Author Topic: At the end of my rope with cates weeing  (Read 4847 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: At the end of my rope with cates weeing
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 15:14:44 PM »
It is usually a sign that the cat has anxieties, whether unhappiness or feeling that they are under threat. My friend's cat who I babysat for 2 years started doing it when a large entire tom moved into the neighbourhood and started beating up anything that moved. He has already been doing it on an off, and had previously done it at their place when kept in at night. Now he is back with this mother, and permitted to come and go whenever he likes, they have not had any further probs. I have had only two other cats do this, and both were highlystrung cats who had difficulty coping with my multi-animal household.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 13:54:14 PM »
I don't think it's always a sign of unhappines, and what starts off as a problem can just become habit, but when cats need to mark their territory indoors in this way it does often indicate some anxiety which needs to be addressed, imo. 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 13:08:22 PM »
is spraying always a sign of unhappiness?  All three of the people I know are just putting up with it, and one of them told me it was just a habit the cat had got into, fortunately I've no experience of it so really don't know

No, I don't think so, for instance my Joe does it very occasionally - just after he's had a mad dash around the house - its like a sort his finishing flourish LOL! and he's a very happy cat. ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »
is spraying always a sign of unhappiness?  All three of the people I know are just putting up with it, and one of them told me it was just a habit the cat had got into, fortunately I've no experience of it so really don't know

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 07:37:05 AM »
I Can understand neither of you wanting to rehome one of them, but this could have health implications, and it is a sign of unhappiness. Good luck, it is a hard thing to live with.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 17:25:14 PM »
But the fact that Willow is peeing everywhere indicates an unhappy, overprotective cat. I can thoroughly understand your OH not wanting to rehome Willow (I'm sure you both love her very much) and I can understand your mum being attached to Shelley, but if both cats are likely to be happier in the opposite homes isn't that what matters?

Sorry if that comes across as judgemental Mark, it really isn't meant that way. It's just I would imagine it affects the way you all interact with Willow as well to a degree. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 16:42:29 PM »
Mum is still having various problems with SHelley but is attached to her. OH won't hear of rehomimg Willow, or Kylie come to that so I suppose we just have to live with it
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 18:05:23 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 16:09:52 PM »
Is your mum still having trouble with Shelley? Angies (i think it was her) idea last time round was a good one.
It really sounds like Willow needs to be an only cat as hard as it is for you. Kylie would probably flourish without her prescence. Its a tough call but Willows health & happiness needs to come first.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 13:35:17 PM »
Mark can sympathise with the spraying we have a couple in the Clan Cats and our new home has wooden sealed floors and tiles the only place we have carpet now is the stairs and upper landing and they use them as scratching area's although the lounge rug had a hammering after Sky's couple of mistakes

We clean it up and move on and have tried retraining but it caused the couple of feral boys to much stress so its not everyday but every once in a while they have a huff about something!

We also have a couple in the Clan who are not the most popular or basically do not like other cats but they have their own area's and are pretty much left alone by the others but Brady and Merlin have stand up fights and grwoling sessions but merlin is loved by all the others so just think its a clash of personalities - both are domestics!

I have to say since bringing Sky home most have suddenly become the best of friends in a united cat front in fact Merlin adores Sky and Brady doesn't!

We live and let live and sometimes its hard to do that but we have 3 bedrooms shut off from the mob and they are used to the closed doors on these area's now and spread themselves around the rest - also means not as much housework to do to remove the ever growing casting hair!

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 11:40:10 AM »
Hmmm, nope. Exposing tummies is most definately not an intimidation technique. (Sorry, Marks OH!) Kylie is trying to show she isn't a threat, probably so she doesn't have to cope with Willow being confrontational all the time. Poor girl, sounds like it isn't working.

And your cats have never touched noses? Sniffing each other is not a bad sign, but it's more to just make sure they recognise a scent than acceptance.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »
Yes, Kylie does it all the time. OH says she is trying to intimidate Willow but I don't think so. My cats have never touched noses although Clapton & Kylie sniff eachothers booty & tail  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:36:57 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »
Mark, she only pees on carpet? (Floorwise.)

So Willow has only ever tolerated feline company? She's never done the whole touching noses thing with the other two? Exposing tummies to another cat is as far as I'm aware, a sign of submission. Does Kylie show her tummy more than Willow?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
neutered males and females spray, two of my friends offending critters are female!

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 11:24:29 AM »
mm This is a problem thats bound to happen to me ! If Toms are neutered do they still spray ?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 11:22:30 AM »
funnily enough two of them have quarry tiles in the hall (they both have front door sprayers) and the other has sealed wood maybe that's why it isn't such a pain

She ruined our lower ground floor so we had the carpet replaced with a sealed oak floor. She doesn't pee down here any more  :-:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 11:19:52 AM »
The only problem I have is Penguin (our boy cat) will spray on anything that has cat nip on it, he’s ruined one of the scratching posts and I had to dive across the bedroom to save the wiggly waggler the other day.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 11:17:13 AM »
funnily enough two of them have quarry tiles in the hall (they both have front door sprayers) and the other has sealed wood maybe that's why it isn't such a pain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 11:15:14 AM »
Puddles I could cope with but carpets  :no:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
I have three friends who have spraying problems and even as a cat lover it does amaze me how patient they are on hands and knees cleaning up puddles - you know your cats best Mark if you think one would be happier elsewhere you're probably right

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 10:27:08 AM »
Willow does scratch and rub her face on things in front of Kylie. They both roll and show their bellies to eachother which I thought was a friendly thing but it can't be  :Crazy:

OH had Willow First for a couple of years and brought her over from France. Clapton was meant to be a companion but she has always been horrible to him. Not really agressive but she chases him etc. Clapton had been there for maybe 5 months when I moved in with Kylie and thats when the fun started. Luckily Clapton is happy being at the bottom of the pecking order so never has fights but him & the girls just tolerate eachother.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 10:11:16 AM »
It's odd, isn't it? When Ember was staying she decided my little junkie was the perfect playmate. Him being ten, he thought he wasn't! But instead of putting her in her place, he just let her jump all over him, and if she was lying down on something he'd skulk past hoping she didn't notice him!

It does sound like Willow would benefit from less feline comapny to be honest. She obviously feels threatened in the "pecking order" by Kylie,(And quite rightly from what you've said about her being able to win in a fight!) and that will make her do things like spray, and scratch furniture. (Does she do that one or is it just spraying?) When you got Willow was Clapton already there? And is Kylie a newcomer in comparison?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 09:49:32 AM »
I think Clapton has a cast iron bladder. When he wants to be in the kitchen, we have started closing the door - Its a big room and he has his own sofa in there etc. When he was left on Sunday for about 8 hours (about the longest he has been left alone in the last couple of years!) he used the tray in there but yesterday he must have held on to it. I was aware that he might run into the dining room or upstairs so was ready to take him downstairs to the garden after he had eaten (he eats in the hallway)  but the phone distracted me. They are going to have to be denied free access from now on. Its a shame but has to be done. As for Willow, she is getting really confronational with Kylie. Por kylie tries to avoid it and idn'tbeing aggressive at all but willow won't even let her go to he food bowl without growling or even jumping out in front of her. I'm amazed but kylie just puffs up and oes that funny "slow motion" walk away from her - if she had a mind to, she could rip willow to shreds  :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 08:53:40 AM »
5 years is long enough to try to make it work. I have been rolling around Peri's garden with her lovely mastiff/boxer Missy and realise how much easier dogs are ...

I tend to agree, Mark. If you've tried every bit of advice given to you regarding Willow and she is still aggressive and confrontational towards Kylie, maybe she just can't deal with sharing. Also, how old is Clapton? Has he had problems with his bladder before at all? Lots of cats want feeding and need the loo at the same time, they don't generally just relieve themselves on the floor! (Well, not to my knowledge anyway, I could be wrong!)

With regards to dogs....don't let chilling out and havig the fun part with a dog fool ya! My mum has a beautiful rescue dog (husky x alsation) and we all love him huge amounts, but he is a high maintenance pooch! ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 07:57:54 AM »
If Willow is doing it due to the 'stress' of Kylie being there, I think you have to consider rehoming one of them, as it will have an impact on her health - when was the last time you had a urinalysis done on her?
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:18:46 AM »
nice to know Medway nursing staff have such a commonsense person in charge. Good on both of you. But don't give up on the problem, just take a bit more time away from it and it may go away by itself. As I have discovered myself recently, we can be our own worst enemies when it comes to our animals' emotional well-being.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 00:35:00 AM »
Well I'm back from my mate Peri's - she forced me to drink a bottle of wine, smoke fags & cigars and talk  :evillaugh: She is the devil itself but talks sense. She was my old next door neighbour in London but now lives in Kent (round the corner  :evillaugh: ) and even though she is the assistant director of nursing for medway, she is still my old p head mate  :evillaugh: - she said I am too wrapped up in cats and the house - I realised its true  :evillaugh: - so as far as cats are concerned, its shape up or ship out. Willow is a sprayer, Gillian, you hit the nail on the head. Clapton wanted feeding but also had a full bladder. He didn't spray, he relieved himself. I spoke to OH who's answer was to have the carpets up, get the floors sanded and varnished to stop it. There is no feral cat, its willow. She will still not accept kylie. even though kylie is not being aggresive with willow, willow is being a brat and confronting her all the time. Kylie could knock 7 colours out of willow if she chose to but tries to appease her with no luck. I think willow really may have to be rehomed. 5 years is long enough to try to make it work. I have been rolling around peri's garden with her lovely mastiff/boxer Missy and realise how much easier dogs are - I have known her since she could fit through the catflap and she could break my arm but is a soft as sugar  :evillaugh: - also made friends with a (ridgeless) ridgeback over the downs  :evillaugh:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 22:16:31 PM »
Sending my sympathies as spraying seems a very difficult thing to deal with. Archie has begun standing in his litter tray which is the kitchen and spraying everywhere except the litter tray. I have a feeling it is in response to one of my permanent visiting cats and also an aggressive tabby that tries to take his food. Anyway he frequently sprays all over his food. I am just going to clear another lot up, Alison

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 20:41:38 PM »
i dont know how you cope mark

im very particular and i hate cat wee in the tray

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 20:15:17 PM »
I knew you had trouble with Willow weeing random places, but I don't remember you saying Clapton sprayed too. Poor you. :(
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 20:15:36 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 19:43:44 PM »
ummm, have you considered the possibility that there might be a new feral cat in the neighbourhood. I know Ralfie was particularly active around doors and windows as a means of defending the house from marauding cats ...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 19:18:07 PM »
Willow peed (sprayed) in a new place in the dining room after a guest told her to get down from the table  >:(

I was giving Clapton his fortekor & chicken when the phone went. In the 2 minutes I was gone, he empied his bladder in the dining room - a huge puddle on the carpet  >:(

Oh Mark, I can sympathise - I've got sprayers too. Harry's always done it, but since Jasper arrived, Jasper has taken over as king of the sprayers  >:(

I expect you've got the feliway diffusers, but what I've found is that if you consistently use the feliway spray it does reduce (not stopped yet) the spraying. I have to go round and spray all the different areas twice a day, and what I've noticed is that it will stop the spraying in those areas, but instead sometimes a new area will be marked, so you kinda have to start again with the new area, but I think if I persevere, and can take a mortgage out for all the bottles of feliway I need, then I'll crack it  ;D - but you may have already gone down that route.

By the way, what WAS that guest thinking, telling Willow to get off the table indeed! - was maybe Willow's revenge?  :evillaugh:

Clapton doesnt usually do that does he? Do you think he just got caught short?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
At the end of my rope with cates weeing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 18:47:23 PM »
I had to ge some totalcare next door as I didn't have time to go to PAH as I had used up a whole container in less than 2 weeks. Willow peed (sprayed) in a new place in the dining room after a guest told her to get down from the table  >:(
I treated that and 2 other areas. Way behind with the B&B stuff. I was giving Clapton his fortekor & chicken when the phone went. In the 2 minutes I was gone, he empied his bladder in the dining room - a huge puddle on the carpet  >:( - I used the last of the bottle I bought today on it. I am going for a walk on the downs with my friend Peri and have to decide what to do with them - it can't go on.

Link to CatChat