Author Topic: "Funny Business" - Reassurance please  (Read 1815 times)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
Re: "Funny Business" - Reassurance please
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, except you've all got me even more worried now!!

I actually popped into the vets on my way home yesterday and managed to have a quick word with the vet. She said as they're not showing any interest in each other yet (still too interested in da birdy, ping pong balls, climbing curtains and eating  :evillaugh:), and also that most cats tend to breed in the spring, then not to worry too much, and they should be fine. I know that's not guaranteed though.

Helen -good idea, I hadn't thought of that

Thanks
Emma x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »
the next couple of weekends we're quite busy and so I wanted then in on a Friday and then be able to spend the weekend with them.

Friday is not always the best day to have them done, if there are any complications most vets are shut on Sat and Sun so you'd have to take them in as an an emergency if there were any complications. If you were able to get the Friday off work you could have them done on a Thursday then have Thurs night, Fri, Sat & Sun with them and then if there were any complications the vets are there Friday to see them again.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 08:02:05 AM »
I agree with Ela, I was talking to my vet about it in Dec when Shadow was spayed, as despite being small for her age, she was a week off coming into her first season, and the vet said she has dealt with 3 and 4 month old farm cats who have either been in season or pregnant. And we have had 8-10 month old cats come in with kittens, so they have got pregnant quite young.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 20:24:37 PM »
and I have to say that Smidgen, Born 8 May (can't do the maths now) has been showing an unhealthy interest in Esther from time to time. She seems to have sorted out his ideas (being a mature woman of the world and quite a bit his senior, as well as speyed) but I am monitoring the situation closely, nevertheless...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 16:06:11 PM »
5 months is pretty much the VERY earliest that cats can become sexually mature - one of my girls concieved at 5 months old, the other at 6 months.

I am afraid I must disagree, we have males (usually ginger) that have been mature at 4 months and it has been known for kittens known to be only 6 months old to have kittens themselves or come into season when about 4 months old. It does not happen every day but it can and does.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:58:09 PM »
5 months is pretty much the VERY earliest that cats can become sexually mature - one of my girls concieved at 5 months old, the other at 6 months.

So to be on the safe side it's probably best to keep them apart til they've .... *whispers* ..... had their little bits seen to.

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
Are they showing any signs of sexual maturity at all?

I had my first 2 kittens done as soon as they were showing this and it was around 7 months, my male was showing the usuall signs- grabbing the other at the back of the neck, and my female did not come into season at all before she was spayed and she did not like my male cats advances.

I would keep them separate while no one is at home just to be on the safe side.  :shy:

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
"Funny Business" - Reassurance please
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 12:32:36 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I was wanting a bit of reassurance really. I phoned the vets this morning to book Fergus and Polly in for, sshhhh  :scared:, incase they're listening, "having their bits seen to". They are 5 months old this week and the next couple of weekends we're quite busy and so I wanted then in on a Friday and then be able to spend the weekend with them. So I booked them in for 5th October. The receptionist asked me if they are interested in each other at all, as she had real problems with her cats and they had to be shut in different rooms. I haven't noticed any funny business going on, but then we're out at work during the day. She's just got me a bit worried and panicky now, I feel like I need to go home now and keep an eye on them. Do you think it'll be ok waiting until the 5th, it's only 3 weeks away?

Thanks
Emma

Link to CatChat