Author Topic: Bad habits  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Bad habits
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 13:08:28 PM »
She may then realise that there's nothing that interesting up there after all and stop going up there.

Perhaps you would like to explain how that works to my Peewee.
Well with Mosi it's very much a case of what he can't have he wants, and what he can have he doesn't want!  Obviously that doesnt' work with them all...  :wow:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 11:41:01 AM »
She may then realise that there's nothing that interesting up there after all and stop going up there.

Perhaps you would like to explain how that works to my Peewee.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 11:38:30 AM »
Thanks for the tips will try them..............

We have however decided that we are not getting a christmas tree this year.....   :'( Decided its probably best this year with 2 kits that are 7 mths especially as Jet has the habit of bringing in large sticks from the garden and also that way they tear around the house chasing each other.  It has disaster written all over it!!!

Aww shame, one of my most enduring christmas memories as a kid was coming down the stair each morning to find the 7 foot christmas tree on the sitting room floor and trying to work out which of the cats it was, for kids it was a great treat to be able to redecorate the tree that many times!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 09:56:22 AM »
We have however decided that we are not getting a christmas tree this year.....   :'( Decided its probably best this year with 2 kits that are 7 mths
Aw - just think of the fun they'd have with it!  :rofl:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 09:40:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips will try them..............

We have however decided that we are not getting a christmas tree this year.....   :'( Decided its probably best this year with 2 kits that are 7 mths especially as Jet has the habit of bringing in large sticks from the garden and also that way they tear around the house chasing each other.  It has disaster written all over it!!!
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:31:30 AM »
Try having a water bottle handy and when she jumps up at the work surface say a firm No and spray her with the bottle.  My lot learnt pretty quickly.  Good luck.
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 09:29:10 AM »
Well cats do like high places so apart from shutting her out of the kitchen there's not a whole lot you can do!

However, you can try putting foil on top of the counters to discourage her (cats are supposed to dislike foil but Mosi loves it :sneaky: ), set up a booby trap that will cause a negative association with jumping on the tops or try spraying her with water when she jumps up.  They may work or they may not, and even if you succeed in deterring her when you're around there's a good chance she'll be up there as soon as your back's turned!  Unless of course it's her own idea not to go up there.  Personally I think I'd just keep the work surfaces as clear as possible and definitely clear of food so that there's little of interest up there.  She may then realise that there's nothing that interesting up there after all and stop going up there.

Mosi used to be a terror for going on kitchen worktops but he's got a bit bored with it now and doesn't jump up there much.  He has, however, discovered that the top of the oven (the eye level grill) makes a great place for a nap!  :scared:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »
I was affraid that would be the answer........hehe

Oh well will just have to carry on removing her each time and hopefully she'll get the message.  She's such a little madam!!!!

:innocent:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:24:52 AM »
When you have found the answer please let me know.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
Bad habits
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:20:36 AM »
I know its not the end of the world but can anyone help with the following habit that is appearing in one of my kits Jet.  She has now discovered that she can jump up onto the kitchen tops and I really want to stop this if possible.  Obviously I always clean the tops before I prepare any food but obviously the main concern is that she'll possibley burn herself on the hob.  If I'm in the kitchen and see her up on the top I'll try saying down! (she just looks at me) then I'll pick her up put her on the floor and say no.  She'll then walk to the other end of the kitchen and jump straight back up.  This can go on until I leave the kitchen and she follows me out.............any ideas????  Cruz is quite happy to sit on the floor and watch her sister be naughty and thankfully shows no desire to join Jet.

Link to CatChat