Author Topic: Issey not well  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Issey not well
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 11:42:50 AM »
Fingers crossed for her, but i would give her mainly wet, Tom suffered with it on both prescription obesity and urinary dry food, wet food and cystaid worked well with him. You might want to look into what could stress her though, it might be something that isn't immediately obvious.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 20:20:54 PM »
has she had urinalysis done to check for the different types of crystals michelle ?

No she hasnt Lynn - would that be a good idea then ?

I collected the antinflamatry injection this afternoon and gave it to her about 5pm. She has now done a wee.
My Vet didnt give her antibiotics in the end, he said she just needed the injection

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 16:44:28 PM »
Yes cats definately know when we have problems and are upset. I hope that she feels better soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 16:34:16 PM »
Ruth had trouble with Lexy when she went on diet biscuits, coincidence?!  :shify: :shify: :shify:

Edit to add, that most cases of cystitis are not bacterial, il find the % for you, something like 5%.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 16:36:39 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 14:10:20 PM »
Hi gillian, She does have wet food (whiskas or felix) but mainly Dry.
They are on CR light or obesity.
I just asked vet if that could be the problem and he didnt think so as he said it is a quality food

Trouble is dry foods, and most wet foods contain too high cereals/grains content, and too little meat content, which can can make the urine alkaline, when it should be acidic. So the wet foods with high meat content would probably be better for her - because meat is naturally acidic, something like natures menu, applaws, almo nature, bozita (some of those do contain rice I think, but in very small quantities - the main ingredient is meat). I think it would be worth a try - don't forget to do any dietary changeover gradually though.

I had this problem with Ben, and its why I changed him and the others onto a mainly raw meat diet, along with the Natures menu etc, and I havent had any further problems, 4 yrs now.

I agree with Lynn, a urinalysis might be an idea, just to rule out bacterial infection, because if its not, then antibiotics arent really needed.

And yes, what Ruth said is very likely, as cats are very sensititve and do pick up on our emotions.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 12:38:36 PM »
has she had urinalysis done to check for the different types of crystals michelle ?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:31:33 PM »

Food can be a factor, can't remember, does she have dry food? If wet food, which one? Or has she been on a prescription diet for the condition? Have you tried Cystease/Cystaid to see if that helps?

Hi gillian, She does have wet food (whiskas or felix) but mainly Dry.
They are on CR light or obesity.

I just asked vet if that could be the problem and he didnt think so as he said it is a quality food

Ruth, Do you think she might have picked up on our saddness etc then ? I hadnt thought of that

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
Maybe she has picked up on the terrible time you've been having of late  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
Poor Issey has Cystitis again,
just spoken to my vet and i am going to collect an antinflamatry injection and a course of antibiotics.

I know Cystitis is norm caused by stress but i really cant see what stress Issey has in her life !!!
so what else could it be ?

Food can be a factor, can't remember, does she have dry food? If wet food, which one? Or has she been on a prescription diet for the condition? Have you tried Cystease/Cystaid to see if that helps?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Issey not well
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:16:29 PM »
Poor Issey has Cystitis again,
just spoken to my vet and i am going to collect an antinflamatry injection and a course of antibiotics.

I know Cystitis is norm caused by stress but i really cant see what stress Issey has in her life !!!
so what else could it be ?

Link to CatChat