Author Topic: Being Nice :)  (Read 5871 times)

Offline bod

• Kitten
Re: Being Nice :)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 23:19:39 PM »
Its unfortunate, but it is something that happens on forums, people tend to speak more freely and with less consideration for how it will come across when they bash away on their keyboards, and before you know it someone has the hump and goes crying to the mod team demanding vengeful action or it plays out on the boards and destroys the harmony of the forum. Tight moderation, a set of rules and regs saying the mod and admin decisions are final helps, here is a set from another forum I am admin on that might give you some ideas, feel free to use as little or none at all - I promise I wont cause trouble!  ::)

ALL are free to post here. respect is to be shown to the other members and staff of the forum and any criticism should be couched in polite and reasonable language.

We ask that nobody takes a hectoring, sarcastic and condescending tone nor puts down other posters since one man (or woman's) opinion is quite often as valid as the next. Also the rules concerning Libel and Obscenity apply and if the language used and the way it is expressed would be out of order in the bar after a Meeting and would cause disharmony then it would be unwanted here. In such cases the Moderators WILL act to edit or delete such offending posts without reference to the poster although if a post is moved or amended for purely logistical or housekeeping reasons the Moderators will endeavour to e-mail or PM the originator to inform them of the reasons. All decisions taken by moderators & admin of this forum are final and binding on the member.

DISCLAIMER . FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL POSTERS

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. This is not only manners, but legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate to this forum.

Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this forum. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately. We have the rights to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy goes for member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. We at this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another member, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another member's account to post messages or browse this forum.

After you register and log into this forum, you can fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information we deem inaccurate or vulgar will be removed.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

You are solely responsible for any and all attachments that you post to this forum. You may not post files to this forum which contain copyrighted material that you do not have permission from the author to post.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 23:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Angie - the folks did say there had been some stuff going on behind the scenes, and I know this has been threatened more than once this year when there has been too many personal insults on the forum - as obviously CC was set up for rehoming pages, not as a forum, so too much time having to deal with that meant not enough time to help rescues.

I like the occasional heated debate, but feel we should be able to do it without having to resort to throwing insults, especially personal ones.

There seem to be a few things that might make moderating easier on here, and have had a thought that I will pm Tan about.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 23:08:18 PM »
Everyone on here is gonna be really nice LOL cos I watching!!

Seriously though the other mods are being set up for this site now cos the membership is zooming up , which is great :)

Also hopefully we will have a good auction starting in a weeks time and also loads of fun.

I hope that once we all get used to the format of the site  and that includes me, then it will work very much like CC and when you have enough rope we wont mind pulling the noose tight :):):)

Offline Katherine

• Adult Cat
  • Crunchie
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 23:02:39 PM »
ah i see. There must be so much that goes on behind the scenes of a forum that people like me dont think about.
Fingers crossed it all goes well here.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 22:59:46 PM »
I think it'll be easier to stop it happening on here because it's all a bit more joined-up and transparent - it's harder for people to be anonymous and I think the facilities for moderating and removing potentially offensive material might be a bit easier to use.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 22:58:33 PM »
I don't know what was going on at CC, I've never been too offended by the postings though that could be because the moderators did a good job. I suppose we will never know who (and if) anyone was emailing stuff directly to the forum owners.

personally I believe a forum should get heated occaisionally, after all we are passionate about our cats. Its when people become personal in their insults (though this may just be an inability on the posters behalf to express himself well not just pure spite or bloodymindedness) that things start to get unpleasant.

I suppose we just have to rely on the moderators to give us all enough rope - or should that be just not enough rope?

Offline Katherine

• Adult Cat
  • Crunchie
Being Nice :)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 22:48:08 PM »
I don't really understand why the forum closed but if its due to troublemakers how will we stop the same thing happening on here?
Why can't people just be nice?

Link to CatChat