Author Topic: A few questions from a friend  (Read 2120 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: A few questions from a friend
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 20:41:02 PM »
my two pennorth?

Litter training: if it is more than 8 weeks old (and I hope it is) it will already have worked it out for itself. However, on arrival and to be on the safe side, I would keep it in the same room as the litter tray until it shows it knows what it is for. If this is the bathroom, and you have the luxury of a separate toilet, that should not be a problem.

Food: I now use a mixture of both. My last cats were very old and were on Hills Science diet to control crystals in their urine, so it was dry all the way. Also, in Queensland, wet food was crawling with maggots when you got home, so was not an option. With my new kitties, I use wet food, with dry as something to stop the 3:00 am screamings for something to eat, it is less attractive to the dog also ...

Names, Well I have had several b&W cats, all with reasonably predictable names like sooty, and cinders, the latter because he had white sox, but black toes, so looked as if he had been digging in the cinders ...

Indoor/outdoor: If you can provide them with a safe indoor environment with lots of toys and an safe outdoor environment they can not leave, this is, in my opinion, the best option. If you let them out, then they should be brought in, ideally before dusk (as this is when most RTAs happen). And they should, IMO be kept inside at night. Not all posters on this forum will agree. But in Oz, there is the additional concern that most native wildlife is active at night, so more vulnerable to cats, and we care about that sort of thing. Here, I have no opinions.

As your friend is making this sort of enquiry now, I think she will have the capacity to adapt to the new kitty's needs. If not, we are always here to help, if not confuse her with our disparate views. :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 16:12:05 PM »
I would like to put some other input into this as well  ;D

I would try to  use the same type of litter as the rescue to start with.
Have two litter trays for him as sometimes they like to use different ones for solids and liquid.
If you are thinking of letting him go outside do not do this until he is neutered, vaccinated and chipped. Then let him decide whether and when he wants to go out........he may not want to and you shouldnt force him.
Try and find a good vet who deals with small animals rather than farm animals.

GET INSURANCE ASAP.....this is so important so dont put it off.

I am sure others will offer lots of other things.

Toys, you willl need loads of em and he will have loads of energy and keep you awake and make you tired and be loads of fun  ;D ;D
Good luck and enjoy  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 15:22:22 PM »
Ditto what the others said...

Plus...

At every time on a person's life they ought to have a cat called Tigger.  :wow:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 14:06:24 PM »
Litter tray training, as others have said, its highly likely the kitten will already be litter trained, especially if he's in a shelter, but I'd just make sure the litter tray/s are highly visible for the new kitten - so he knows exactly where they are when he needs them!! Use the same litter he used in the shelter for the time being, then change gradually to a new one, if necessary.

Food, I'd go for high meat content wet - or raw, if you can introduce some crunchy food like chicken wings/necks early on, it will help to keep the teeth clean. I'd never advise feeding dry food only for the reasons Susanne has mentioned. Again, feed him the same food as he was getting at the shelter, (to avoid any tummy upsets) and make any changes to his food gradually.

Indoor/outdoor - well I'd go for outdoor everytime!, but only in a safe enclosed garden, and with access from and to the house via a catflap.

Names - How about Domino?

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 13:03:04 PM »
I have no idea on litter training whatsoever  :shy:

Indoors/Outdoors - I guess it depends on where your friend lives in relation to roads etc, what the neighbourhood is like in general really.  Or of course the opportunity to cat proof a garden could be considered if she has one.  It will probably also depend on whether that cat coped with being indoors, I know most do, but I guess some dont? 

Wet/Dry foods - Again it depends on what puss will eat, but my suggestion would be to go for a mixture of both, i.e. dry food left down all the time with wet food at main feeding times.  I know some cats who have dry only don't drink enough water, so the wet food is a good way of keeping their fluid intake up.  Bear in mind as well that dry food is often higher is calories than wet.  Some dry foods can be better for teeth I'm told, but the pieces of crunch have to be a decent size, otherwise they're just swallowed whole  :tired: My boy has Royal Canin Dental SO and the pieces are large, so they have to be chewed first.

As for names, I'll get me thinking cap on.  Need to think of some non-human names lol!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:25:11 PM »
I like the name Kai. :) It's a boys name and the first time I heard it was on a bizarre sci fi programme a friend of mine watched.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »
Shes just told me Molly (human name) is an exeption to the rule,she likes unusual names.  So get your thinking caps on peeps :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »
No expert but !  

Litter training.... After each feed gently place kitten in litter tray and gently try and make the litter motion with their paws  all going well they will soon get the idea

Many diffrent opinions on food bit of both seems to be the ideal avoid the wet ones in gravy their high in sugar

Indoor/outdoor  Depends where they live and if they feel its a reasonsable safe area eg..  are their many busy roads where they are they could always cat proof the garden if they have one so at least they can get some fresh air

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »
OK I'll put my 2p's worth in first...

1)  I would be very surprised if he is not litter trained by the time he comes home to her, Tiggy and her brother were handreared and they had no problems using a tray.  If for some reason he isn't litter trained then I'm sure some rescue peeps will know more about the training side of things.

2)  I tried to go for the 50/50 approach.  Wet food is good for them as it contains the moisture but all wet could lead to dental issues in later life. Dry food is good as it not only adds a bit of variation but gives them something to crunch thir teeth on however I wouldn't recommend a totally dry diet as I would be worried that the cat wasn't getting enough moisture.  I say I tried the 50/50 approach but my boys much prefer wet food so I'm now doing 75/25 for them.

3)  I think this one totally depends on the area she lives in, if she is in a relatively 'safe' area ie no busy roads, vicious dogs, nasty kids then I don't see a reason why the kitten couldn't be indoor/outdoor when he or she is old enough (basically after neutering).  My boys are indoor only but in the future I plan to move to somewhere with a garden suitable for catproofing so they can have the best of both worlds.

4) What's her dog called - does she go for human names or animal names? 

Sounds like your friend will be a great cat Mum, it's good taht she's doing research before getting him  :)

She has a rabbit called Mig and Dog called Molly (Moo) for short and shes adamant that shes not naming the cat anything starting with an M lol

Thanks for your advice guys,please keep it coming :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:11:13 PM »
Sounds like the little one is going to a great home  ;D

I'll have a go at answering her questions

1.  She wants to know how do you go about litter training a cat who basically hasn't had his meowmy about to teach him?

Using a litter tray is part instinct and part taught by mum.  Hopefully his foster meowmy will show him how to use the tray so he'll be litter trained when she gets him (I got Jaffa at 8 weeks and he was fully litter trained).  Stick with the same type of litter as he's used to and it would probably be best to keep him in the same room as the tray(s) to begin with.  If he has any accidents put what he does into the litter tray to show him that's where it goes (use a paper towel to soak up a bit of wee and squeeze it out into the litter tray).  Also, if he does have accidents it needs to be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner so that he's not attracted back to the same spot - Simple solution is a good one.  If he's totally not litter trained, he may need to be put into a pen with just his food, bed etc plus litter tray until he is but there's a good chance he'll be fine.

2.  Dry vs wet food?  The benefits and negatives of both and which is the best food to feed etc?

My own preference is for a significant proportion of wet food as water is an important nutrient and cats don't have a strong thirst mechanisms so don't drink a great deal and can be dehydrated.  Male cats in particiular need water to help prevent urinary problems such as crystals.  A mixture of wet and dry is a good compromise.  At 8 weeks he'll need lots of small meals so maybe some wet morning and evening with some kitten dry left down during the day.  If you feed dry, go for one of the good quality "premium" dry foods such as James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin, Hills etc rather than supermarket brands such as Go Cat and Whiskas and make sure there is plenty of water down.  Water fountains are good.  Its a myth that dry food is good for their teeth (most just swallow it whole anyway) but is useful for them to accept the texture of dry food in case you need to leave it out in hot weather or are travelling.

3.  Indoor vs outdoor?  Which is best for him?

Depends on lot on where your friend lives.  Nowhere is entirely safe so it's a case of assessing the risks and benefits and deciding whether the pleasure of the outdoors are worth the safety risks.  If it's a quiet area with not a lot of traffic then he may be ok outside (but no-one can gurantee complete safety).  Otherwise indoors is probably best.  An outdoor enclosure or cat proof fencing in the garden is a compromise.

3. Suggestions for cat names,he's a black and white cat and all I could come up with was Felix,I'm so original :evillaugh:

I'm no better!  My black and white cat was called Magpie.  He was nearly Puffin or Penguin! (you can see where I get my name ideas from...!)

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:12:41 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:08:11 PM »
OK I'll put my 2p's worth in first...

1)  I would be very surprised if he is not litter trained by the time he comes home to her, Tiggy and her brother were handreared and they had no problems using a tray.  If for some reason he isn't litter trained then I'm sure some rescue peeps will know more about the training side of things.

2)  I tried to go for the 50/50 approach.  Wet food is good for them as it contains the moisture but all wet could lead to dental issues in later life. Dry food is good as it not only adds a bit of variation but gives them something to crunch thir teeth on however I wouldn't recommend a totally dry diet as I would be worried that the cat wasn't getting enough moisture.  I say I tried the 50/50 approach but my boys much prefer wet food so I'm now doing 75/25 for them.

3)  I think this one totally depends on the area she lives in, if she is in a relatively 'safe' area ie no busy roads, vicious dogs, nasty kids then I don't see a reason why the kitten couldn't be indoor/outdoor when he or she is old enough (basically after neutering).  My boys are indoor only but in the future I plan to move to somewhere with a garden suitable for catproofing so they can have the best of both worlds.

4) What's her dog called - does she go for human names or animal names? 

Sounds like your friend will be a great cat Mum, it's good taht she's doing research before getting him  :)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
A few questions from a friend
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:54:18 AM »
Ok peeps I have a few questions from a friend who is going to be a brand new proud owner of her first cat in a few weeks.  Shes got a dog but this will be her first cat and she wants to do all the research before she has him so I said I'd ask a few questions for you guys on here as your good knowlagable peope  :evillaugh:

Unfortunately shes not online as present but I said I'd print off this thread for her to read so basically if you can please give her all the information she will require and explain why you do this and that because as I said shes new to cat ownership but trust me this cat is gonna be in the best home ever,shes such a good person with animals.

Basically shes having a kitten (who is now 3 weeks) he will be 8 weeks when she has him,he is an orphan and is being looked after at present in an animal shelter.   I'll put the questions to you then it might be easier for you to answer them if you can please?

1.  She wants to know how do you go about litter training a cat who basically hasn't had his meowmy about to teach him?

2.  Dry vs wet food?  The benefits and negatives of both and which is the best food to feed etc?

3.  Indoor vs outdoor?  Which is best for him?

3. Suggestions for cat names,he's a black and white cat and all I could come up with was Felix,I'm so original :evillaugh:

Like I said I told her I'd ask you guys the questions as you are the experts on here,obviously I can advise her a bit but I felt it was still better to ask you guys.

Thanks in advance :)
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat