Author Topic: Being silly but i'm really scared  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Being silly but i'm really scared
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 11:37:07 AM »
would also ask for the head vet to do the op

If you want to do that I would have thought you would have to enquire when booking the op who is on rota to operate on a certain date.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Claire M

• Adult Cat
  • My Beautiful Casper
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 11:08:26 AM »
 :) I would also ask for the head vet to do the op,and if the other vet wanted to know why I would tell him in no uncertain terms that I did not trust him to do the op after what happened to your friend's kitten,and maybe he will take it on board and take more care in the future,so don't feel guilty you are quite within your rights!! All the best for the day,I'm sure your kits will be just fine!! Luv,Claire and Felix x
Claire M x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 07:11:40 AM »
miss monatering

If that were the case then although very sad they vet will have learned a valuable lesson. Only once in 16 yrs have I heard of a cat passing away while under anaesthetic at my vets, (more at others) and that was due to a heart defect. Nowadays anaesthetics are very safe and most vets are experienced enough to know which one to use. This is also a reason why many vets always ask if you want pre op bloods to ensure all the internal organs are OK and then they can decide which anaesthetic and if a cat/kitten needs a drip. during the anaesthetic. We don't have all cats pre op blood tested, just the older ones and any the vet feels are at risk.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 06:53:33 AM »
If you are concerned about the anaesthetic, ask the vet about different types. One of my old ladies had an op about 18mth ago and was given one designed for old cats/dogs, to bring them round more quickly. She was fine. Maybe chat to vet about this.
Also, ask your vet to give you a ring after the op to tell you how it went. My vet did this after Polly's op. This would put your mind at rest and prevent you waiting and worrying about your kitten.
I suspect it's the alcohol in Frontline which irritates eyes, and that flushing it out with water is all that's necessary.
Good luck.
Relax - your cat will pick up your nervous vibes.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 23:10:15 PM »
Thanks Guys for all your messages about the Op and the Frontline.

RE: the frontline
His eye rim went quiet red and it was bothering him so i got hubby to hold him while i flushed it out with running water. He seems ok now
I also read the packet and although it does say "avoid contact with eyes" it doesnt say what to do or whether to call a vet !!  I think thats quiet bad actually.

Fingers crossed for tuesday then - God i will be a basket case all day and theres no way i will be able to wait till 3 to ring the vets, i will prob drive them mad ringing every hour lol

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 22:20:14 PM »
Just checked the leaflet that comes with the Frontline Spot on, it just says 'Avoid contact with the animal's eyes' then later on in the leaflet 'This product can cause mucous membrane and eye irritation. Therefore, contact of the product with mouth and eyes should be avoided'.  Might be worth just giving the out of hours vet a ring just to be on the safe side, they may just say to bathe the eyes but you never know.

Anyway, just wanted to reassure you aswell that your little ones will be fine with their ops, especially if they have the head vet on the case.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 22:19:39 PM »
look atvthe frontline instructions and see what they say. I know it has an alcohol base but usually they advise about whebn things get in eyes.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 22:10:37 PM »
Sorry hope someone else can help with the frontline in Freddy's eye, ouch!

Just wanted to say don't feel guilty about asking head vet to do the op. I would ask exactly that without a twinge of embarassment!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 21:58:02 PM »
Whoops pressed the wrong button - hadnt finished !!

There has been talk that it might have been "miss monitoring" but i like to think that ^Soloman^ just reacted badly to the anisectic!

I know my babies will be ok but i cant help but worry.

On another note -
I have just frontlined all my lot and Issey shock herself and Freddy got some in his eye, i have bathed it with clean water is there anything else i should do ?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 21:53:31 PM »
I always see the head vet and it wasnt him that operated on my friends cat it was the other vet.
I have asked the head vet to do the op which i felt really guilty about.

No there was nothing wrong with my friends cat, he was a healthy 7mth old Exotic. A post Morton was done and "bits and pieces" sent off but all came back inconclusive. There has been talk that it might have been "miss monatering

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 21:43:57 PM »
Michelle,

Try not to worry babe ... I know it's easier said than done but you have to try to remember how many furbabes have an anaesthetic every day that do come through OK.  Unfortunately there are always the very few times when something does go wrong but you have to try not to dwell on these.  Obviously my heart goes out to your friend I can't even begin to imagine how she must be feeling at the moment.

I agree with Sonya ... when you take your little ones in tell the vet of your concerns and explain why you are worried.  I assume your vet has already met your girls and checked them out to make sure they are OK for the OP.  Although no op is 100% safe I think cases  of kitties not making it are a lot less frequent than those that do.

I know exactly how you are feeling as I took Rossi in for her op on Tuesday .. thankfully everything went well and she was fine.

Try to stay positive and I'm sure it'll will be OK.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 21:40:48 PM »
Do you know what happened to your friend's kitten? Did the vet explain to him/her what might have gone wrong? What the kiten ill? That is just so sad. Is it exactly the same vet that will be operating on Freddy and Lala or is it just the same vet practice.

I'm sure you're right that it was just one of those things but you might want to try and ensure that it is the senior vet that operates to put your mind at rest.

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 21:11:28 PM »
aww michelle, try not to worry  :hug: if you're feeling a bit anxious when you take your furbabes in, ask to speak to a vet who can go through everything with you, im sure they'll be more than happy to reassure you and they should check the little ones over first anyway to make sure they are happy and well

Im sure everything will be fine,

Sonya
x
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Being silly but i'm really scared
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 21:06:09 PM »
My 2 babies are booked in to be done on tuesday ! (Freddy and Lala)

In all the years i have had cats i have never really worried about having them done but a couple of months ago my friends 7mth old kitten didnt come round from the anisetic and as we use the same vets i am scared to death !

I know it was prob "just one of those things" and is not likely to happen again but i am really starting to panic.

Link to CatChat