Author Topic: Introducing Percy  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Introducing Percy
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 11:13:41 AM »
I have some with no teeth and they seem to prefer dried, they almost suck it up.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 11:09:02 AM »
Cats with no teeth can still eat dry food - Ginger would sulk if he didn't get his supper biccies, although he did drop them a lot and couldn't pick them back up, so I used to feed him those by hand!! He found wet food easier out of a bowl than a saucer as he used to lose it off the saucer. Snowy was also toothless and could manage dry food with no  problems.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 09:10:47 AM »
Percy looks a delight and like a 'golden oldie' to me, especially in the first pic.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:12:05 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline magic14

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »
The wet cat food gets everywhere when Percy is eating it as he has very few teeth left and has to have it on a saucer because if it's in a bowl if the food gets pushed into the edges he can't reach it. So he can't have dry either as he's near enough toothless!
Just thought I would post this pic to show the two lazy men in my life

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 00:19:55 AM »
I hate wet catfood! - clapton leaves so many dishes untouched/1/ eaten that I have to throw away loads of it. It stink, it sticks to the bowls, it's gross! - the 2 girls eat dried food + fish but he will only eat wet as he only has a couple of teeth left. As he won't eat prescription, I am giving him whiskas senior as it has less phosphorus than regular but still nowhere near as low as the prescription. I want to start adding binders but want to speak to the vet 1st.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline magic14

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 23:29:10 PM »
Thanks everyone! The RSPCA said that he wasn't being fed a prescription diet, really the only thing they told me about was his Fortekor, that's it. That's why I am going to go to the vets for a check up next week so I can ask them how often he should come in for a checkover etc.
The CRF site is brilliant but I know exactly what you mean about your head hurting - mine was doing the same and trying to work out the best foods to feed I was getting really confused!
At the minute all Percy will touch is Whiskers Oh So Fishy, my kitchen smells like a fish mongers!  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 21:04:32 PM »
BTW Serena,

Helen (Tiggy's Mum) Is also the CRF guru. She has been a great help to me since my 7 year old Clapton was diagnosed recently.

Anyway, just curious, did the RSPCA tell you to feed presciption food? as Clapton will not entertain it at all. I am going to start him on binders soon. Although the CRF site is good, there is a lot to take in (my head hurts  :Crazy:)

Also, Helen, if you are reading this, I saw an american site that said alucaps an cause memory loss re aluminium content and they mentioned one called Renagel that is aluminium and calcium free.

Sorry, I am a witterer.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 20:34:48 PM »
He is gorgeous, I hope you have some wonderful times together. Hyperthyroid immediately comes to mind with me as well, and you sometimes find that it only comes to light when the kidney levels are stabilised. Fingers crossed he is just greedy and enjoying his food though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 18:19:56 PM »
Oh Wow - Percy!  Handsome boy.....

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 15:58:31 PM »
Welcome to the Forum

Percy is adorable and his appetite reminds me of one of my bengal boys...................mmm which one?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 15:18:51 PM »
Hi Serena warm  :welcome: to purrs

Percy is adorable  :catlove:
 I love his pic esp the bottom one. He sounds like he's got a great personality too.

Hmmm  catnappers at ya ready!!! :attention:

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 14:52:40 PM »
Hi Percy, he's lovely. So sad to see how many black cat's are in rescues as they get over looked and some people see them as "bad luck" what a load of codswallop, I actually think they are good luck.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 22:16:36 PM »
 :Hello: Percy and welcome to our little family.

Magic he's gorgeous :catluv:  and I'm sure you will both be very happy together :ahh:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 22:06:24 PM »
That's why I love this place too! I can witter on about Tiggy without getting polite nods or my friends telling me to shut up about that Bloomin cat! I know they're only joking, well probably half and half!  Percy sounds great, a real character  ;D

Ooh, want to tell you about the CRF 'bible' if you don't already know www.felinecrf.org  It is such an informative, easy to read site about CRF - I honestly think Tiggy wouldn't be here today without it as I have learnt SO much,

Hey, my post got censored automatically, I didn't write bloomin I wrote something beginning with B and ending with Y with two O's in the middle!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 22:11:03 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline magic14

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 22:01:03 PM »
Thank you everyone and thank you Helen, I shall book him in for the vets next week and when I go I will ask about the T4 profile.
My friends are going to get so fed up of me soon as all I keep going on about is Percy this and Percy that! It's amazing, it just feels so right him being here and he follows me everywhere, I went in to the bathroom today and the next minute the door gets pushed open and Percy comes strolling in! Everytime I think of him I just smile  :Luv:
And I would just like to say what a great lot you are and how glad I am I have found this forum!
Serena
x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 21:53:49 PM »
Apparently Fortekor can improve an ailing appetite but 8 helpings is quite a lot, next time they do bloods I would seriously recommend asking for a T4 (thyroid) profile, the two conditions often go hand in hand.  Won't go on about it too much at the moment as it's just a thought, like I say it could be that he's just a greedy piglet!

Offline magic14

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 21:50:28 PM »
Percy is on Fortekor - 1 tablet once a day. He is due a vet check up in a week or so - not sure whether they will do bloods then, the RSPCA didn't tell me anything about his previous results etc.
Today he has had about 8 feeds already and still every time I go into the kitchen he wants more and more and more!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 21:47:19 PM »
Welcome Percy  :welcome: What a handsome young man.  Well done for taking on a cat with CRF, he is one lucky boy to have such a loving Mum  :Luv:

With the eating issue, has he had blood tests recently?  My cat has CRF and is also hyperthyroid which can cause a ferocious appetite yet no real weight gain (being hyperthyroid that is).  It could be that he's just a greedy gannet though!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 21:50:15 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 21:45:40 PM »
Helen will know but is he on treatment? apparently Fortekor improves their appetite. If he's not grossly overweight (obviously he's not), I would give him whatever he wants at his time of life  :Luv: 

He's gorgeous btw  :catluv:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 21:10:03 PM »
Awwwww Percy is sooooo handsome  :Luv:

So pleased he has settled so well :)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 20:59:36 PM »
What a handsome boy - he looks very happy in his new forever home
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline magic14

• Kitten
Introducing Percy
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 20:57:29 PM »
Well this is Percy, he's from the RSPCA and he's absolutley gorgeous! He is 13-15yrs old and has CRF.
He's the most loving and vocal cat I have met and it already feels like he's been here forever.
Only one thing worrying me is the amount he's eating - he constantly wants more and when I give him his food he scoffs it down as if he's never been fed?? Confused
Anyway here is my beautiful Percy:

Link to CatChat