Author Topic: Why I love fostering  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Why I love fostering
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:24:56 AM »
Its worth it as the kids we do foster get loving homes if they have issues like health problems or ferals who won't be lap cats then they stay or go to people who understand time and love is the key!

The first purr from a feral is worth all the time, pain and tears and if it takes a day or years it is worth the wait!

The sad baby we get suddenly blossoms, they play, their coats are shiny they are flea free, pain free and can be normal cats.

Ace has been with us for 15 months and from being a really nasty feral who lept of window frames at you all claws extended he has now rediscovered his kitten hood and loves the laser pen and head buttd my leg in the kitchen this week - probably by mistake and for a bit of roast beed but he now loves to lie on the couch, sleep on our bed in the daytime and is loved by all the house cats - a big change and still not your average cat but at least he has gone down from horrific to nasty at the vet!

We do it for love and thanks to Desley and her putting me in touch with the people she fosters for we will be fostering for Cat Action Trust here ns Scotland and hope to have our first fosters by Christmas as we are off for a full 2 weeks.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:12:12 AM »
Of course they have their moments Ela, but that wasn't the point of the thread. Knowing that a kitten that 6 weeks ago had little to no chance of a home cos of how shy and timid she is is now doing normal kitten things like this really makes me proud, and glad to be able to foster. Looking at Molly also reminds me of why I love it - I took her on cos the rescue didn't think she had long to go - she has been with me a year on Sunday, and I honestly dont think she would still be here if I hadnt taken her on. Plus Tiger might not be alive.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »
Don't you find that many of the oldies have their moments too? My Tango was the worst even at 18 she was constantly running around after her tail.

Don't you find that many of the oldies have their moments too? My Tango was the worst even at 18 she was constantly running around after her tail.
[/quote]
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:23:13 AM »
[quote As most of you know, I only adopt oldies, and while I love them, it is fun to have young, playful cats round the house quote]

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:26:30 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 22:27:45 PM »
She is - we knew it wouldn't be a lot of work though, and I would prefer to have her here over X Mas (we stop homing in about a week or so) - we have a test in a fortnight as I am away for a long weekend (first in 2.5 years) so my friend is feeding them. Shadow will be the last kitten for a while, the girls dont like her very much, so am seeing what we have rehomed this week, and if either of the young adults are still in the rescue, I will be going picking one up as a friend for her. Another plus tonight has been Tiger - her owner said he couldn't stroke or brush her, but she has really been interacting tonight, although she did tap me to stop me fussing her without growling first!! But, if her owner had rang a different vet, or if they hadn't had someone they knew they could ring for help, she wouldn't be alive now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 22:10:25 PM »
That's lovely  :Luv:  Sounds like she's come on leaps and bounds in your care.  I get a bit jealous on here with all this kitten talk, haven't had one for 18 years!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Why I love fostering
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 22:04:09 PM »
As most of you know, I only adopt oldies, and while I love them, it is fun to have young, playful cats round the house, but the only way I get them is through fostering. I have just laid on my belly on the landing long enough to gain Shadow's trust again (getting shorter each time), had a fuss, then picked her up and sat her on my knee while I came back on here - she was fascinated by the mouse on the screen, changed a couple of the settings, but had me in hysterics!! It really is the positive side knowing that only 6 weeks ago, she was a scared, timid little thing, and now she is doing normal kitten stuff. She still isn't good with strangers though, she met someone new again today and wouldnt come out of her scratch post.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat