Author Topic: Bit worried about my Cat.....  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Bit worried about my Cat.....
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 08:24:58 AM »
but if I had your attitude my cats would LIVE at the vets.

rrrrr well it is that gut feeling and instinct, thankfully the cats are not that ill too often so I don't get it often. Also as I say every time it has been necessary.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 08:14:47 AM »
I don't disagree with the policy of taking a cat to the vet immediately when it is needed, but if I had your attitude my cats would LIVE at the vets.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 07:48:17 AM »
Although I think Ela is being a bit alarmist,
You are entitled to your opinion but all I can say it has always worked for me, every time I  had that gut feeling my cat needed to see a vet as something was wrong even the one that it did not show illness for a couple of days. My gut instinct has saved the life or sometimes prevented suffering and a cat has needed to be PTS although to me a layperson there was not really anything noticeable. One cat Tango I had looked so well ate his breakfast as normal on the Saturday, come Saturday tea time I put his food out and he just sat in a different place than normal and did not go to his food. I just knew all was not well, so I rang the vet who was still at the surgery and he asked me to bring Tango straight down. Tango was a little feisty to say the least and so the vet sedated him slightly to give him a thorough MOT and there at the back of his throat was a large tumour. I could have bought him home but Eric said I would only be returning in a few days. So while Tango was sedated we let him go. Honestly it was one of my biggest shocks as he looked so well. I am a big believer in not waiting another day to see how it is. We all know our cat and even if they just lay differently or somewhere unusual I can tell something is not right. Even if nothing was found I personally would rather pay a consultation fee and have piece of mind than be worrying about the fact that the little one may be ill. If I even think a cat is ill I would not be able to sleep then again they keep me awake anyway but at least I am not worrying.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 07:22:29 AM »
Although I think Ela is being a bit alarmist, an MOT would be wise if you feel there's something wrong. My personal view is that this is normal feline behaviour during the winter - they almost hibernate. They become less active and stay by the fire. Cats dislike cold or rain. Also 11 is middle aged, so your cat may be a bit creaky and have a few ageing aches and pains which don't respond well to cold.
Often, during the summer, you don't know you  have a cat, they are out so much (Polly and Sam were like this, before the sun induced cancer in P's white ears...now she has to stay indoors and winter is the only time she's allowed out during daylight). Come winter, however, and puss won't leave the comforts of home, except maybe for a short constitutional stroll.
On the whole, don't worry, unless your cat stops eating, playing, and looks dull (third eyelid showing etc).  :yawn:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 09:44:36 AM »
If it were my cat I personally would take it to the vet for a MOT even if in the morning  they were OK then later in the day they perhaps sat where they don't usually sit, it is that gut feeling. only once did the vet not find anything and I felt a bit daft, but a couple of days later that cat came down with something and was very ill, so again I think my instinct was right. I just picked up on it before the illness really got hold.

Regarding litter trays, if people adopt from Cats Protection they need to sign a homing form and it asks will you provide a litter tray  and keep the cat in at night. We always say   litter tray should be provided irrespective of your cats age even if they are allowed out, if you keep an eye on what your cat is passing, you can spot many problems, e.g, cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment. It is shown up if the cat uses the tray frequently and or, passes blood, something you would never know if you had no tray. We find that the wood pellets are excellent there is no smell of urine whatsoever.

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »
Louise, my cats are both 11  and are very much the same at the moment. So much so i have been panicking about them getting bored and had a huge stock up on toys!  :)
I'm sure its just the weather, they just prefer to keep warm indoors i think

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 08:13:56 AM »
My cat is exactly the same - 10months old. He would go out in the morning, have the day outside and come in in the evening. Now, I let him out when I get up and by the time I'm leaving for work he's back in. He literally spends about half hour a day outside and that has to be lovingly forced! He spends most of his time sleeping too - I think its a neutered male thing!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Louise

• Kitten
  • Dilly
    • Pastiche Art
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 22:28:50 PM »
 :) Just occured to me!!

He's sat next to me now looking all smug that he's got me worried...such a monkey.

The reason he hasn't had a litter tray is that he absolutely refused to use one from when he could first go outside, he's very much an outdoor cat and even if I popped  him in the tray he would refuse to use it and just miaow and miaow to go outside.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 22:14:37 PM »
I think maybe some of it  is due to the faux fur throw I purchased about the same time the idle-itis set in...he loves it!

Now you didn't mention that first time round, the answer is obvious now!

Offline Louise

• Kitten
  • Dilly
    • Pastiche Art
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 22:09:35 PM »
Thank you both, you have put my mind at rest a bit.

I did think it was just idle-itis, as he is a very smart cat and is very much like Sam's cat in that come spring he will jump for joy and race outside and goes back to his 'treating the house like a hotel' mode.

I think maybe some of it  is due to the faux fur throw I purchased about the same time the idle-itis set in...he loves it!

Thanks again xx

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 22:02:09 PM »
I agree with Sam... maybe a bit of a general MOT wouldn't be a bad idea, but it sounds like pretty normal canny cat behaviour. It's nice to provide them with a litter tray regardless - it lets you keep a bit of an eye out for any signs of them being unwell and it does just seem a bit mean to make them go out in the cold - if they were human kids with an outside toilet they'd have a potty!
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 21:56:07 PM »
Louise,

Sounds to me like he is fed up with the cold and is just staying inside in the warm.  If you are worried about him it might be worth visiting the vet for a general MOT.  I'm not sure if these "symptoms" are signs of any illness but I'm sure someone will let you know if they sound like anything they have encountered,

I would just say that as soon as the nights start to draw in my little girl, Foxy, refuses point blank to go outside.  This means every year from about October to March she turns into a house cat.  As soon as it warms up again she's back outside skipping about chasing insects! 

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Louise

• Kitten
  • Dilly
    • Pastiche Art
Bit worried about my Cat.....
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 21:44:29 PM »
All he does in sleep and doesn't seem to want to go out.

This has been going on the last couple of months.  He messed in the night two night's running, which rarely happens, so i put a  litter tray down for him overnight (which he used) and since then he just doesn't want to shift.
 He will happily go out in the morning for a couple of hours and then he gets on the bed and that's it till morning. He uses the tray a couple of times in the day/night with no bother. He is eating well and is as happy as ever.

He has never had a litter tray, usually out from early morning until about midnight (never out overnight), out again at 6am, popping home for meals/fuss etc.

He can freely come and go as he pleases but is choosing not too!

Has he just realised he can have all his comforts without having to go out in the cold and is being an idle puss? :innocent:(he is 11, not the youngest kitten on the block) or is this a sign of something wrong?

The more i type the more i think he's playing me and im being daft, but he's my baby and i'm a bit worried

Link to CatChat