Author Topic: Ebony Scavenging  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Ebony Scavenging
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 08:40:55 AM »
I just wondered if anyone can give me any advice on how to break her scavenging habit!!

We have a lot of cats who come in under similar circumstances eventually they do realize that they are going to get fed again but it does take time, also please ensure she is wormed with the good quality treatments, as sometimes when cats have been out a long time it is very difficult to get rid of all the little b :censored:ers
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:30:50 AM »
Samantha did exactly the same thing when I first took on this pair of cats! She had been in a similar situation of living on the streets while pregnant. She upturned every bin in the house, even those which were only full of paper! She didn't stop doing this until she registered the fact that she would be fed regularly - she knew where her next meal was coming from: ME! Once she clocked that she didn't have to eat everything immediately, wasn't going to starve if she waited till mealtime, the bin upturning stopped. Instead, she meowed at me to get on with the job of opening tins!!!
Your cat will probably react in the same way when she knows that YOU'RE the main food source, not the bins!
Good luck.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 20:33:57 PM »
No Becca I dont do that but will give it a try  :thanks:  She is so lovely and affectionate and seems happy most of the time apart from this, I'll make sure theres always food in the bowls and she can just graze when ever she feels like it, hopefully she'll realise that theres always gonna be food for her now  :shy: .

Ive been ignoring her when she has stolen food and just put her down on the floor when she does climb up on the worktops, im going thru a lot of antibacterial wipes at the minute!!

Sonya
  x
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 20:19:40 PM »
Sonya - if you gave her unlimited access to biscuits eg a bowl out all the time and kept topped up would she eat toooooo much?

Just wondering if that might give her the confidence about where her next meal is coming from.

Also... bite your tongue when she does nick something, even if it's bad, it's important to resist the urge to shout or she'll panic and then you'll really be in trouble.

You're doing sooooo well with her  :Luv: I'm sure one way or another she'll settle eventually.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
Ebony Scavenging
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 20:13:46 PM »
Hi all, I posted last week when I adopted my new girl Ebony and im needing a bit of advice for her again. As far as the rescue knew she was a stray who had been out on the streets for some time and came into their care pregnant, shes now spayed and home with us but shes a terrible scavenger.   I feed her regularly and give her plenty of food, shes on a high protein diet at the minute to build her up as shes still quite thin. 

Problem is no matter how much she has she is still on the hunt for more, she climbs on my worktops, shes in the bin, shes trying to open cupboards to get at the food in there!!!  Anything that is left out she has a go at, one of my sons left some pizza on his plate at the table the other day, and before he could move it, she was up and away with it, making the most awful meowing howling sound.  Ive wormed her and I know this is just a habit from her time on the streets, and I cant just tell her shes not going to go hungry ever again cos I dont think she'll understand lol.  I just wondered if anyone can give me any advice on how to break her scavenging habit!!

Thanks all

Sonya
  x
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Link to CatChat