Author Topic: Ways to stop water bowl being dragged/knocked over?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Ways to stop water bowl being dragged/knocked over?
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 17:47:50 PM »
Sounds like a master plan Helen!

Nick, can you post a pic of your Dobie?  ;D

Only if you show me yours   ;D :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 16:30:52 PM »
To aid the non mopping up we are now a using water fountains everywhere except for the dogs water bowl in the lounge - its a huge one and weighted (it was our BC Breeze's bowl and somehow never moved it after his passing to the Bridge) so the little darlings can't tip it they now just have a paddle or stick paws in it then drink

The water fountains are great and we have our own fountain monitor in Amber one of our torties she will sit beside it till you top it up and then move on to the next one! :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 15:54:21 PM »
Sounds like a master plan Helen!

Nick, can you post a pic of your Dobie?  ;D

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 08:09:45 AM »

sooo use a big casserole dish  :evillaugh: 

PS nick i didnt know you had dobies  :Luv:   

Oh yes but just the one thank god. You wouldn't really want more than one Dobie surely groan.

All they do is eat fart and bark their silly heads off then fart some more  :evillaugh: :rofl: :doh:

In fact their digestive system is like a sewer pipe I reckon.

She's absolutly huge and way bigger than any male in the area and as neurotic as hell. We call her shadow as she never leaves my ex's feet . You turn round and trip over her constantly. Its very tiring having a huge dog follow you to the toilet the kitchen out to the car and  back again, all round the house when you clean and hoover out to the wash line when you hang the clothes. You can't get away from her lol  :tired: :tired: :tired:

but shes got a nice nature ....until she sees a bird or a cat  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 05:58:28 AM »
All my cats (apart from 2) use the dogs metal bowl........OH or one of the teeny's always manage to knock it over  >:(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 02:41:15 AM »
Riley knocks his water bowl over every single day without exception.

Its me in our house that kicks the water bowl several times a day and gets it over the kitchen floor
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 22:56:17 PM »
I have a big heavy water bowl from M&S with a rubber bottom. It would be impossible to knock it over. Not sure if the sell them any more as I got it 1/2 price about 6 months ago. Its more like a dog bowl.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 22:54:19 PM »
cody isnt too bad but then his own water dish is always up on something ie bench or higher and i pour it out during the day anyway as he only ever uses the dogs water bowl but i leave his own out just in case the dogs object to him using theirs at night when im not around to see whats going on if that makes sense.

sooo use a big casserole dish  :evillaugh: 

PS nick i didnt know you had dobies  :Luv:   

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 22:21:13 PM »
I kept treading in mine and it tipped water everywhere. Grr if it wasn't clumbsy me it was the clutts mutts Dobie of ours.

I decided to use an old saucepan without handle  its perfect . Heavy base, stable, easy to clean and holds plenty of water .  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 19:35:06 PM »
 :thanks: everyone, I think I might have cracked it  ;D  Am going to combine JS and MM's ideas...

L shaped attachment on the wall and then boring a hole into the bowl through which I slotted a flat ended screw!

The horses used to get their buckets stood in an old tyre maybe something on a smaller scale....

I'm going to get a large plastic dog bowl and attach it to the skirting board as in JS's idea, then place the water bowl inside as in MM's idea.  Can't drill throught the water bowl to attach it on it's own as it's ceramic and anyway you'd have to unscrew it everyday to rinse and refill.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 18:59:58 PM »
Fergus loves tipping the water bowl over. They've got a smallish stainless steel one, more wide than deep. He loves sitting there just gently knocking it from under the rim with his paw and watching the ripples in the water. Kind of cute until of course the water ends up on the floor! And like you Helen mine don't drink water, they put their nose in when I put some fresh down, then just turn away. That was actually going to be one of my next posts on here, asking how to encourage them to drink water!

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 18:41:11 PM »
My Penguin does the same, till we got them a dog bowl. Big ceramic thing (the kittens could swim in it) only down side is it's a bit heavy for me.

The foster kittens manage to knock over their bowl daily but only if I fill it all the way up. If I go half they normally leave it alone.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 18:35:34 PM »
:thanks: Did Smokey try and paw at the fountain ever or knock it over?  Just a bit worried that he'd eloctrocute himself by splashing the water near the socket  :scared: Annoying thing is I had one of those but gave it away in the Xmas auction as Tiggy completely ignored it  :innocent:

Never, he was 17 there and such a comic, he loved water and would drag his bowl round and if there was a glass of water his trick was to tip it over.  The fountain was his most favourite thing ever it kept him cool in the summer he'd dose off then get up with his neck fur dripping.  But no he never played with the water just drank loads.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 17:46:54 PM »
The horses used to get their buckets stood in an old tyre maybe something on a smaller scale....
Taz loves his waterfountain now and if he wants it to be switched on he sits next to it and cries  :Luv:
The cat it one is cheapest here me thinks http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.co.uk/acatalog/Accessories.html good excuse to try applaws too  :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 17:44:46 PM »
My little junkie plays with water bowls. It resulted on me putting an L shaped attachment on the wall and then boring a hole into the bowl through which I slotted a flat ended screw! He's utterly peeved at me but at least we don't have to wade through his watering hole now!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 17:37:33 PM »
Looks like a fountain may be the way to go then.  Hopefully it will encourage Lucas to drink water too, he never drinks water ever - only kitty milk.  I was going to try dotting bowls around in different rooms for him but I know Riley will just tip them over so there's no point  :innocent:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 17:31:33 PM »
My mob throw water out of their Drinkwell fountain all the time and no electrocutions so far I'm pleased to report  ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 17:30:26 PM »
 :thanks: Did Smokey try and paw at the fountain ever or knock it over?  Just a bit worried that he'd eloctrocute himself by splashing the water near the socket  :scared: Annoying thing is I had one of those but gave it away in the Xmas auction as Tiggy completely ignored it  :innocent:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 17:28:35 PM »
try using a wider dish and put a brick in the bottom not very stylish, but it works for puppies ...

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 17:23:39 PM »
our Smokey always did that and nothing stopped him until we got him a water fountain and he used to go to sleep with head resting on the edge he loved it!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Ways to stop water bowl being dragged/knocked over?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 17:19:53 PM »
Riley knocks his water bowl over every single day without exception.  He does that digging thing like when they are covering up in a tray, paws the bowl over or sometimes even drags it accross the room.  It's a very heavy thick rimmed ceramic bowl so it's takes some effort to drag it or knock it over.

He does it with water and milk and sometimes the food bowl but usually the food bowl isn't there long enough for him to do it.  I don't fill it up completely like I used to so there's not as much to spill but the floor is always covered in water as I obviously have to leave it down 24/7 and refill it when he empties it.

Can anyone one think of a way of securing the bowl somehow so he can't tip it over?

Link to CatChat