Author Topic: ... and then there was Esther  (Read 3983 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: ... and then there was Esther
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 18:16:38 PM »
Hi Denise, the interactions between Smidgen and Esther are a little strained but not so much that I am concerned. Just one stroppy kitten who thought he had gained independence, and one ex-mum not too sure she wants to take on a new dependent more than anything. As you say, her struggle is a fear reaction but muted as she clearly does not want to hurt you. She is such a sweety. She and Shadow are still getting on like a house on fire I expect Shadow to develop four new legs when he lies down soon :rofl:.

No new pix at present but will get some later this evening when they are all relaxing post-dinner.

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 18:10:47 PM »
Hi!  How she getting on with Smidgen?  Esther loved being stroked but was never keen on being picked up, it was like she panicked - so i feel that she probably had a bit of a bad experience with being picked up at one time, although she's not aggressive, just scared.  She's obviously been around dogs as the interaction between her and Shadow was unbelieveable - so pleased.  Hope she's happy and of course we need more photos!!

Dx

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 17:05:53 PM »
I like them to be liftable incase of emergency, otherwise it doesnt bother me.

My only reason also - if they want to come to you they can do that in their own good time, but you do sometimes need to pick them up to get them out of harms way ... She will no doubt settle down in time - she has only been here a day so has plenty of time to work it out herself  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 16:48:30 PM »
Spike likes being picked up but i cant hold his back feet. He goes under my arm with my hand between his front legs/round his chest.

I taught simon to be picked up by just lifting him off the floor regularly, couple of inches at first and then increased it. He lived wild in a garden so wasnt very handable.

I like them to be liftable incase of emergency, otherwise it doesnt bother me.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
thanks for the tip Helen, I will try that approach. ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »
She really is very sweet, but seems to have had some bad experiences with people. Picking her up, even supporting her hind legs and doing all the things necessary to show her she is safe results in a bit of a controlled panic. So am waiting for her to come to me when she is good and ready.

Not necessarily a bad experience BC, Lucas doesn't really like being picked up, if you bend and put your hands on his sides ready to pick him up he trots off really quickly so you don't manage to get him and when he is being held he seems a bit panicky.  He is ultra loving in every other way though and would spend 24 hours having his tummy rubbed if he could. 

What I've started doing is putting a few treats in my hand, picking him up, holding him for a very short while - literally a few seconds and then putting him down gently and immediately giving him the treats.  Only started a few weeks ago and already he is less panicky as I think he now associates being picked up with getting nice things.  Maybe you could try it with Esther's favourite treats.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 10:07:50 AM »
I'm glad Esther has settled in well  :Luv:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 09:54:51 AM »
She's gorgeous 

:catluv:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 08:22:49 AM »
A beautiful puss and very much at home already.

She really is very sweet, but seems to have had some bad experiences with people. Picking her up, even supporting her hind legs and doing all the things necessary to show her she is safe results in a bit of a controlled panic. So am waiting for her to come to me when she is good and ready. They seem to have had a fairly quiet night (or I slept through the chaos) and with a few more days she will be very much a part of the family. :Luv:

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »
A beautiful puss and very much at home already.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »
Am glad they are getting on so well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 23:14:38 PM »
Aw bless.....so glad Esther has fit in so well  :Luv:

and what a well behaved furbabe she is  :)

my dog and cats get on......one of them abit too much with the dog  :-[

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 21:20:15 PM »
My cats and dogs seem to ignore eachother,but when its feeding time and the dog is in the way the dog knows about it from the cats claws :rofl: :shy:

Shadow likes to snack his meals, and so finds himself having to obsessively guard his food from the cats. I have often seen him lie there staring neurotically at his bowl and watching for encroaching kitties for hours. Since Esther seems particlarly partial to his food he has had to assert himself. This takes the form of stamping his front feet on the ground to make a loud noise.

That's as far as it goes. He has the same approach with his ball but seems to be trying to get either Esther or Smidgen to play with his ball tonight. He keeps chewing the tennis ball while rolling his eyes hopefully at either kitty and sometimes nosing it towards them.  :larf: This of course has the reverse of the desired effect and the cat takes off. He is, however, determined that someone will play with him and both cats are interested, just a little confused. So hopefully he will find a new play mate who does not mind soggy tennis balls which I refuse to pick up  :rofl:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 19:22:44 PM »
yes Lynn and the dog has had a good relationship with a cat too. Bob did the same thing to him when he first arrived in the household. They are all doing just fine, though Smidgen seems determined to assert his masculine superiority. Esther has discovered the catnip bag and had a good old tussle with hit (it's quite soggy). She is now sitting on the boxes in the sun and surveying her domain while Smidgen is asleep on his tower and Shadow is sighing deeply on the floor. Feeding time at the zoo methinks!!

All setting fair for a very happy household

And Halen and Hendrix are her kitties - thought they looked particularly cute :Luv: :Luv: I suspect the grey tabby is the one I lusted after

Uh oh my tribe have heard the magic words and they are on their way to yours as we spk,blackcat :doh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 19:20:08 PM »
My cats and dogs seem to ignore eachother,but when its feeding time and the dog is in the way the dog knows about it from the cats claws :rofl: :shy:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 19:19:04 PM »
yes Lynn and the dog has had a good relationship with a cat too. Bob did the same thing to him when he first arrived in the household. They are all doing just fine, though Smidgen seems determined to assert his masculine superiority. Esther has discovered the catnip bag and had a good old tussle with hit (it's quite soggy). She is now sitting on the boxes in the sun and surveying her domain while Smidgen is asleep on his tower and Shadow is sighing deeply on the floor. Feeding time at the zoo methinks!!

All setting fair for a very happy household

And Halen and Hendrix are her kitties - thought they looked particularly cute :Luv: :Luv: I suspect the grey tabby is the one I lusted after

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 18:42:21 PM »
well theres one thing for certain, that cat has had a good relationship with a dog before  :)

ps cody rubs himself against the mutelys noses much to their disgust as they cant get rid of the hair  that sticks to their wet noses  :evillaugh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 18:39:14 PM »
Shadow and Esther look so good together...  :) Well done, blackcat!  :wow:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 17:18:57 PM »
Looks like they will all get alone fine with no problems whatsoever ;D

You have a beautiful family blackcat :Luv:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 17:13:04 PM »
I'm so pleased for you all, I was thinking to myself that you might have a tough time with the introductions seeing as all three of them are new to each other but seems like they are a happy threesome already  :)  Esther is beautiful  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: 

wow blackcat - Esther is Halen and Hendrix's mum!!! Im so pleased she is settling in, she is such and amazing cat and so loving and caring! Lucky you xxxxxxxxxx

Beckie, is Halen the little grey tabby that was at the front of Esther's baby pics?  I fell for him in a big way, and the little grey one - looks like you have them both!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 17:25:13 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 17:06:15 PM »
I've never seen anything like it before.  Straight up to Shadow and a headbutt and friends for life!  My 3 cats don't even do that do each other let alone the dog!!

A match made in heaven I think!

Thanks Jo for giving Esther such a great home!

Dx

PS.  Smidgen is adorable - unfortunately couldn't smuggle him out!!

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 16:36:41 PM »
Esther's a real cutie and looks to be enjoying her new home ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 14:57:02 PM »
Ester looks rigth at home  ;D

Esther is Halen and Hendrix's mum
Its a small world  :rofl:

Offline x Beckie x (Buffy)

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 14:26:50 PM »
wow blackcat - Esther is Halen and Hendrix's mum!!! Im so pleased she is settling in, she is such and amazing cat and so loving and caring! Lucky you xxxxxxxxxx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 13:28:49 PM »
That's wonderful news  ;D :Luv:

Enjoy your new home Esther  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 13:23:12 PM »
Thats incredible  ;D

Lets hope it stays that way - sure it will. Mine are still enemies arfter 3 years  >:(

She is lovely  :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
... and then there was Esther
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 13:13:52 PM »
 :welcome: Esther.

She got out of her travel box, walked straight over to Shadow and got up on her hind legs to give him a headbutt. Touched noses with Smidgen and then took herself on a stroll around her new domain. I have never seen a cat so at home in a new place before. She is presently relaxing in her cave in the climbing tree, which is fortunately not the one Smidgen had claimed for himself. Smidge is sitting on top of his cave pretending to be asleep (but we both know better) and Shadow is fast asleep on the floor. You would think they had all been raised together the place is so calm.

Thank you so much Denise  and Animates for rescuing this wee girl who is sure to become an integral part of the household before the end of the week!!  :Luv:

Link to CatChat