Author Topic: Humphrey! Please, not another sad case like Sydney!  (Read 17713 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Humphrey! Please, not another sad case like Sydney!
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »
Fingers crossed for the op, and I do hope you can find that wonderful home he so deserves.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2007, 23:07:49 PM »
I hope Humphrey will recover from the op OK, heres to a long life and a happy one for him.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2007, 23:01:59 PM »
Hi all
Humphreys illness is one reason that he wounds dont heal very well. He has this special spray on him now that helps abit, its all silvery and smells abit weird on him.  The vet thinks he is well enough to be done and sorted, and we are moving him onto another indoor fosterer that he can adore, as the fosterer he is with now has the 2 persians in need of tLC and we are running out of room to put them all in.  We dont want to overload our fosterers so thats the plan to move him.

After his op and when we know he is okay I am planning to do abit of a homing drive for  him. Perhaps the papers or something, to get him a new home.  He will be on long term foster care with us and we will pay all his vet expenses associated with his condition.  Humphrey with luck should be with us a while yet. 
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2007, 22:53:32 PM »
Thank goodness this little babe is doing okay.  I hope the wounds start to heal up more quickly soon. I wonder what the problem is there? Have the vets given you any more indication?

I read that his fosterer is taking on the two elderly Persians.  I hope little Humphrey finds his new forever home when he is better, bless him.

Thanks for the update Sharon.

Lots of love to you both

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

• Super Cat
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2007, 18:56:10 PM »
Just to let you know that Humphrey still contineus to improve. He is being neutered and vac on Friday and then moved onto another fosterer as we are so out of room. Humphrey is still a lovable soul, his wounds are abit better and his steroids are keeping him under control. I have photos but no dime yet to upload them.

I heard about Cringle today and am so sorry, as it sounds he was also another cat that deserved a little longer on this earth.

Today  has not been good as we have been  inudated with calls, and we are brimming at the seams already.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2007, 14:20:24 PM »
So pleased to hear that this dear puss is doing OK. Fingers and everything else crossed for him that he can find a good home and live out the remainder of his days in peace and with tons of TLC.

Happy New Year Humphrey!

Bob

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2007, 14:18:48 PM »
So pleased to hear the update on Humphrey and that he is doing so well  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2007, 14:08:50 PM »
Aww, i am glad he has had a good X Mas, and i do hope you can find someone willing to take him on, he deserves a good home, however long he has left.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2006, 14:36:22 PM »
That's great news, well done Humphrey and keep up the good work son  ;D Ive not been asked to any parties either so that makes at least two of us  :rofl:

• Super Cat
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2006, 12:52:38 PM »
Hi all
Humphrey had a lovely Christmas with his fosterer family. He went to the vets on Wed and his blood count and anemia is about the same. Have reduced his steriods from 5mg a day to just 2.5mg to see how that goes.  The wounds on his neck are not healing and thats all to do with this immune problem he has that is very rare (it has a very long name!).  He was given loads of antibotics and with luck in 2 weeks time we aim to get him neutered and vac, we can then perhaps think about the possibility of rehoming him  However, he will be on steroids the rest of his life (he takes them very well in his food) and as before he could go down hill or could be with us for a few years yet!  CP would be willing to pay for all future associated vet treatment for Humphrey and he will need to be an only cat, with someone that realises that he may have a limited time with them.

However, can you all believe he has made it this far!! Aim to visit him next week and see how he is going, he is a real fusspot! Eats well and is now a normal weight for his age (estimated around 3 to 5 yrs old perhaps abit less). 

Perhaps if we get to the neutering stage and he recovers well I will start seeing if someone out their may be wiling to take him on! A special person indeed. Don't think the steroids he is on are very expensive, just that he will constant check ups for his anenemia etc.

All in all Humphey has had a good Christmas consiidering that if someone had not rang us up that day, he wouldn't be with us. Must be fate i say!

Happy New year to you all, I think I am being dead boring as no one has asked me out for a party (although not a real party person!)!!!!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2006, 14:09:02 PM »
Give Humps a big gentle cuddle from us Sharon. We are all still hopeing he carries on doing sooo well. Bless him.   :catlove:

Let us know how he is after ya visit and we would love to see more pics of him.  :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2006, 13:07:16 PM »
What a lovely post Sharon, and while we can't save them all, it is nice to hear that the ones we have saved are doing so well. Fingers crossed there are less unsaveables next year.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2006, 17:42:06 PM »
Happy Xmas Humphrey xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2006, 17:38:40 PM »
happy Christmas Humphrey, hope you have a lovely one and that 2007 will be a great year for you  ;D

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »
Merry Christmas to dear Humphrey! Let's hope the new year sees this dear puss getting better still. In the meantime he's getting all the TLC he needs ( and deserves).

Bob

• Super Cat
Re: Humphrey! Still going strong! A very lucky cat
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2006, 23:05:38 PM »
On behalf of Humphrey want to wish all ofyou on this forum a very happy Christmas.  Its been good to hear from all of you.  Although there dosnt seem to be many forum members from down South way, you have all given us abit of inspiration during the last few months and I hope that you all have a successfuly 2007.

Humphrey continues to do well and I hope to go and see him again this coming week.  I sit here with my lovely Leo on my lap while I type and think about all those cats we were unable to "save" this year.  So we don't forget their passing.

Louie, Izzy, Suzy, Lenny, black puss at the vets, Brucie, Blue (I gave her a name before she was PTS), Sydney. may you all be remembered by someone!  However, just yesterday I received a card and photo of Tazz one of the first rescue cats we took in, Tazz had a broken knee joint, but as on one took  him to the vets, it healed by itself, so that he could hardly walk.  We took him in and after major surgery his leg got better (although far from perfect) ,  he was homed and is now dearly loved but a young couple. His leg given him uddles of character, the photo was of a such an handsome ginger puss, it was hard to believe it was our Tazz. Tazz was one of the few cats that were on the verge of staying with me, so seeing him so well gives me hope for the coming year.

Merry Christmas to all of you involved in rescue  you are doing a fantastic job, and Humphrey sends purrs and wishes to you all.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 23:06:28 PM by canterbury_cats »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »
 :ahh:  so pleased Humphrey is continuing to get better.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2006, 10:23:55 AM »
Sending love and hugs to Humphrey.  :hug: He sounds like such a lovely lad and soo brave.  :ahh:
Sharon i sooo hope he carries on getting better and the blood tests are good news.
 :Luv: :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »
Aww, it is sounding promising for him.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2006, 15:51:00 PM »
Humphrey sounds like he is doing well  so I hope he has a  :xmas:

• Super Cat
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2006, 15:46:23 PM »
Hi All
Update from Humphrey's fosterer.  He is due to go back to the vets for another blood test next week. But at the moment, fingers, paws and anything else crossed for him. 

Humphrey is doing really well sores are healing slowly except for the one under his neck as i had to put a collar on him to stop him attacking that one! He really does look like the injured soldier now as he has a bit of tubigrip underneath to stop the collar rubbing!
He gets on very well with the puppy, lots of rubbings and sleeping beside eachother on the sofa. He is very observant and really does look as if he is always watching us and taking it all in.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »
Aww, fingers crossed that the steroids can keep this at bay Sharon, and that he has lots of good quality time left.
Please spay your cat

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2006, 10:49:57 AM »
Oh Sharon,

What a rollercoaster of a ride this poor little babe is having...bless his sweet little paws.  I really did think it looked like he was on the road to recovery.

Will be keeping everything crossed for his continual survival and good health.   He will be in my daily thoughts and prayers.  So pleased to hear that he is happy in his foster home and I hope his sores heal up soon...poor little love. At least it looks like he is going to enjoy a happy Christmas....and hopefully many more of them :)

I wish I had known that he was on your Chrissie cards cos I would have ordered some...but guess it's too late now.

I will be happy to contribute towards his health care.  I think a donation section for needy or really poorly cats is a great idea and one that I have been secretly wishing to see for some time. 

I would also love to help out with the newsletters but, again, like everyone else my time is very limited and such a scheme would need the services of someone who is able to produce the work on a consistent basis...not every now and again but I am here to help in emergency situations...if that helps.

Lots of love

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2006, 21:45:41 PM »
Something I have been thinking about for while and perhaps this isnt the right thread to put it on. But if someone out there was able to come up with an electronic newsletter to send to members (with people putting in articles etc) say once a month (or every otehr month). A small subscription charge perhaps to help towards time and resources. The profit from that could go towards a "emergency fund" so to speak that was given out on a basis of need (if you get my point). There is so much good stuff going on here and points and adviice like on Cat Chat, but not everyone has the opportunity to read through the hundreds of posts.  Just a thought I would share and see what any of you thought!  I am sure there is someone out there with publicity skills and with 350 odd members it may not be to difficult to get articles. 

Yes good idea, would need someone with the time and writting skills to do it, love to but me no have much spare time and me wrtting skills well ya all prob know me spelling and gramma is awful ha ha!!

I wanted to do a donations section for any peeps that would like to help out with any rescue's furbabe that needs help. We did something simular for Denis on CC. So for those occasions where there is a cat rescue centers babe in need of expensive ops etc, all you rescues are very welcome to add their appeal to the fundrasing section telling us how we can give donations for them. It will purely be a volentary donation if peeps wanted to help and not compulsery or for any spesific donation amount.
I can put an appeal in for Humphrey for ya  if ya would like Sharon but need to know how we get donations over to you for him. Do we send to vets etc, or is there a donations button (ie like a paypal) one we could use?

Bless the adorable lad. I sooo hope he can recover to good health.
xxxxxxx

That reminds me anyone know how Denis is doing???
xxxxx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2006, 18:19:58 PM »
Sharon we ahave articles and phot's from the Clan Cats escapades and are more than happy to send you some for your newsletter

Give us a shout if you need any all ours are rescues and come in various guises and colours and some even think they are cats although Jazz the jack russell is becoming more feline daily and our poor Border Collie is a magnet for the tuxedos!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Super Cat
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2006, 16:20:13 PM »
OMG! Tan I didn't expect that, there are so many needy cats out their.

My only reason for doing something this end (and though Cat Chat pages where we have our rehoming list) is that its hard to believe we have had four cases like Humphrey this year ( i consider that alot but some larger brances probably woundn't).  Louie (who had throat cancer) Izzy who had thyroid problems, Sydney who poor fella had many things including cancer and now Humphrey, all cases that we have taken on for hospice care. Perhaps we should sometimes consider calling it a day, but my God is that hard and I for one don't worry about finances. But then again we get money from our members and we should bare in mind that its there to help cats but in a wise manner. I would be hopeless with putting a figure on anything.  Hope you get what I am saying. 

i wish you could all have a chance to met Humphrey because he is a adorable fella.   

Something I have been thinking about for while and perhaps this isnt the right thread to put it on. But if someone out there was able to come up with an electronic newsletter to send to members (with people putting in articles etc) say once a month (or every otehr month). A small subscription charge perhaps to help towards time and resources. The profit from that could go towards a "emergency fund" so to speak that was given out on a basis of need (if you get my point). There is so much good stuff going on here and points and adviice like on Cat Chat, but not everyone has the opportunity to read through the hundreds of posts.  Just a thought I would share and see what any of you thought!  I am sure there is someone out there with publicity skills and with 350 odd members it may not be to difficult to get articles. 

Thanks for everyones wishes for Humphrey will give him a big hug when I see him next! Took a load of donated treats to him the other day as well.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2006, 15:11:59 PM »
Sharon, How is best to donate to the appeal for darlin Humphrey? I would like to put up a thread for his appeal on here. Have already provded a section for this under fundrasing & donations.

Fingers crossed there is a way to help Humpf heal totally and have a wonderful loving life.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 15:22:08 PM by Tan »

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2006, 15:05:18 PM »
Sharon

It's understandable that your underlying tone is not particularly optimistic but this dear puss is being looked after extremely well and there isn't anymore you can do; let's just hope he does come through but, if not, he's been spoilt rotten along the way.

Bob

• Super Cat
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2006, 22:52:35 PM »
Hello all
Further investigation with Humphrey seems to point to a ummunity defence problem (very rare) in essence his body is attacking itself.  There is no cure but continued treatment of steroids should help him, although not sure how long this can continue though. Vets are still giving him a guarded outlook, and his wound on his chest is abit nasty.  We are seeing how he does after Christmas and then maybe if we get a chance to neuter him the wound on his neck with be examined and bio opsy done.  The wounds may be related to his problem though.

So although its great news taht he has got better, he still has an underlying problem somewhere which isn't curable, nor do we know how long in truth he has. But let us be glad we have given him a home. I tell  you he seems to adore his foster mum and seems to follow her around like a dog.  He has this really weird moew not at all what you expect from a Tom! But he is absolutely adorable, I would have him here if my cats would allow but because we are not 100 percent sure of his condition we are not mixing  him with other cats.  He is also a Tom and not everyone can tolerate a tom being around.

Humphrey now adorns our Chistmas cards and I have started a appeal (abit on a small scale) for funds for his on going treatment.

But you are right he is an adorable fella and everyone loves him to bits.  But then I always have  a soft spot for the needy!

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2006, 21:24:47 PM »
 :attention:  :yayyy: Absolutely fantasic news Oh i am sooo happy for him. He looks adorable :cccooorrr:

Sharon you and his new foster mum, the vets have done fantasically. Ya all angels  :angel:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2006, 20:41:26 PM »
Brilliant news - I am so pleased for the gorgeous boy.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2006, 20:39:10 PM »
Fab news  :yesss:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline catzluva71

• Adult Cat
  • Bo
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2006, 13:39:59 PM »
Aww what great news! :cheer:
He's gorgeous, bless him :angel: :catlove:
Home is where your cat is :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2006, 11:35:48 AM »
Yay lets hope he continues to improve :) Well done Humph.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2006, 10:10:33 AM »
Wonderful news about a very dear puss! Let's hope that dear Humphrey goes from strength to strength.

Bob

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2006, 23:08:10 PM »
That is the most wonderful news, maybe there is a Father Christmas. Humphrey enjoy what you've got now.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2006, 23:03:42 PM »
What a lovely puss!
 :catlove:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2006, 22:48:20 PM »
Great news Sharon - it's amazing what love & TLC can do sometimes  :catluv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2006, 22:40:30 PM »
Excellent news Sharon
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2006, 22:06:47 PM »
Oh myyyyyy  :xmas 7: :xmas 7: :xmas 7: this is wonderful news . Well done Humphrey  :ahh:

Link to CatChat