Author Topic: Bruiser Update  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Bruiser Update
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 07:40:35 AM »
Great piccie......i think this is a great thread as it show's the importance of starting to look for your cat asap....... :)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 00:48:53 AM »
just for good measure, the dog is making sure Bruiser doesnt go anywhere!

:Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 18:26:03 PM »
:yesss: :Flowers: :yesss: 

Fantastic news welcome back Bruiser
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 16:41:42 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 15:27:02 PM »
Great news he's home  ;D ;D ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 15:20:27 PM »
So pleased that he is home!  ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 15:07:07 PM »
I am so pleased he is home and the vet visit was a great thing to do  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 14:29:34 PM »
Yay what wonderful news .... I'm so pleased he is back home and being guarded by Boots  :rofl:

I'm sue the little tinker will think twice before wandering off again ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 13:36:31 PM »
awwwwww boots loves his little mate!! :Luv:

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 13:17:21 PM »
just for good measure, the dog is making sure Bruiser doesnt go anywhere!

[attachment deleted by admin]

ccmacey

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 12:48:54 PM »
Thats brilliant  ;D

I think he was just lost and he obviously needed someone to show him the way home. He must of followed your scent.

Brilliant news  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 12:40:12 PM »
Yay....so happy for you....good on the charity for loaning you a trap so quickly  ;)

Dont forget to worm the big man also (that's if the shot never included a wormer)  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
 :cheer:  Woo Hoo! Fantastic news, am so pleased for you  ;D

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »
Have retrieved the trap, it was empty, have also removed all the posters around the village, and i will be making a poster up to put in the local shop letting everyone know he is safe and well, and thanking them, everyone has been asking in the shop about him.  Another cat is still missing so people were getting a bit jumpy.

Bruiser is now recovering from a trip to the vets (that'll teach the little booger).

He is covered in flea bites all over his head and ears, he has had a shot, and has also been microchipped.

Thanks again to everyone.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 08:52:27 AM »
I have a cat psychology book that says that the cat in the home is in kitten mode whereas when they are outside and away from their owners, they are in adult cat mode (ie like a wild cat). Bruiser has just lost his sense of proportion for a few days having had a flush of summer weather to get him out and about for a bit :evillaugh:.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 08:42:28 AM »
Little b***er!!  :rofl: :rofl:

I am so pleased for you, hunny!  :hug: But this is silly season for cats. The combination of the light, tempertature, etc., is perfect hunting and I see the little horror's been down the country park? Between July and September they turn into Sylvester Stalone - did Bruiser come in with a little bandana round his head?  :shify: :shify:

Please go retrieve that trap at the first available opportunity.  :wow: Had you lived my way, I'd have trapped him for you but not everyone has the time.  :(

He's back!!!!

:yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 01:30:19 AM »
Awww that's fantastic news  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:  :cheer:  I'm soooo pleased the little man is home back where he belongs  :yesss:  Give him a big cuddle for me and  :hug: for you, I bet you're so relieved, xxxxxx

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 01:24:48 AM »
you arent going to believe this

he just jumped on the bed!!!!!!

i just cant get over it, my other half woke me up and said Bruisers back, and I was really confused, I said what???? he said put the light on, so I did, i thought I had dreamt it, i frequently have spider in the bed dreams where I do the same thing.

and there he was, he is fine.

last thing i did before i went to bed was shout acrross the field louder than normal, i suppose that is what brought him home.

there is no way the cat earlier was another cat, Bruiser is very distinctive and I got very close to him.

will still get up at 4 and go get the trap.

i know i went against a lot of advice, but i did cover the trap against the weather.

thank you all so much for your support, it's been great.

his poor sister Missy must be getting a headache from all the furry headbuts she is getting.

needless to say, his collar is back on now

xxx
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 01:25:49 AM by cambsgirl »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 00:51:58 AM »
Am so pleased you have seen him and that he is safe and well  ;D I hope to hear that he is tucked up at home with a belly full of tuna when I check back tomorrow.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 00:50:37 AM »
I think Pinks idea is very good, he is just enjoying himself and being a bit naughty with it.

I am so pleased you have seen him and hope he comes home soon.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 00:14:43 AM »
Sitting washing dosnt sound as if hes scared

Even by sitting and washing, it doesn't necessarily mean he will come to you........I've had the same scenario with mine.  Cody took about 4 weeks for me to catch and he'd sit on the back wall, watching me and would even come to the back door but I couldn't catch the little buggar......he was too busy enjoying himself having his freedom  :sneaky:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 00:15:23 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

ccmacey

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 00:13:29 AM »
We are not there so I suppose all we can take is Cambsgirl's view of things.

If we could be Im sure we would be there helping you.  :hug:

MBll

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 00:10:46 AM »

when i got back he was there again bold as brass sitting on the fence having a wash next to the entrance, but wouldnt come when i called him and again ran away.

Sitting washing dosnt sound as if hes scared

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 00:07:21 AM »
How long have you had him for, and I think you said he has been neutered?

I have never really understood why people would need a trap to catch anything other than a stray/ feral but some people obviously do.

I think he could just be scared and thats why he is not coming to you. I remember you saying you have his sister maybe take something with her smell on it.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 00:06:21 AM »
Surely your cat will know you & not run away ?

If he's frightened, he will react totally different when he is outside his own environment.  I've had ferals here that have got out, and they are fuss pots inside but once outside, I can't get anywhere near them.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 00:04:12 AM »
It might be wise if you intend leaving it is to cover it up in some plastic sheeting just in case he goes in, if the rain is anything like it is here at the moment, you will have a very poorly cat on your hands if he's allowed to get soaked and left for however long.  I don't mean to sound as if I'm having a go and I know you want to catch Bruiser but you have to take a lot of things into account, including him being caught and getting cold and wet.

MBll

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 00:00:05 AM »
Surely your cat will know you & not run away ?

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 23:54:51 PM »
Its very tiring sitting and waiting and you have to be prepared for him not to go in it aswell which means another night of doing the same  :shy:

In the space of 3 nights  I managed to trap 3 different cats but not the one I wanted.

Also can you leave something with the scent of your house on it, maybe cover the trap with a towel?

I do hope you manage to get him, I understand your doing all you can.

Come on Bruiser stop playing games.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 23:53:16 PM »
If that's the case, I would follow what Pinkbear has suggested and feed him in the same place, at a set time daily until he's comfortable with you being there.   And in the next few days when you have time to stay for an hour or two, leave the trap in place so he gets used to it and then put the food in it and only feed him in the trap until he is caught.  I've heard of too many stories of cats being injured in traps where they gone down to the bone trying to escape and if you've seen how panicky some of the cats go when caught, you can understand why they can get such horrific injuries.  I hope if anything goes in it, they will be safe and unharmed.  I'm disappointed that whoever loaned you the trap didn't advise on the "right" way to trap  >:(  I've seen the fear in their faces as they haven't got a clue what's going on and it's not something I would wish on any animal......they should be trapped and released asap.

What area are you in?  Maybe I can get someone who may be able to help.

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 23:39:46 PM »
unforetunately i have to work and so does my partner, we have just been over there again, Bruiser sitting on the fence again, but wouldnt come to either of us, so Andy walked towards him so Bruiser would go in the direction of the trap.  we havent caught him, but nothing in the trap and the bait is untouched.

i really appreciate the advice given, and i would love to sit there all night as i realise it is the best thing to do, however i cant get time off work.

we are getting up at 4 to go and check again, then i will check again about 8.

i dont see that i can do it any other way unforetunately.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 23:00:41 PM »
As others have advised, it's not recommended that you leave the trap unattended.  It's not just the fact someone can steal it but it's what they can do with it that is the worrying thing.  A little story, someone I know was trapping, she left a trap to catch a feral unattended over night, she went back the following day, cat was in the trap but some  :censored: had ran the trap over with the poor cat inside   :'(  :'(  :'(

I always stay with the trap, keep a short distance away, enough so you can see them and wait.  I know it's not the most exciting thing to do but for the safety of any animal that goes inside, it's the best way for them.  If you trap another cat etc, at least if you're on hand, they can be released quickly and safely........if they are left in a trap overnight, they can seriously injure themselves trying to escape and you've also got the added problem of the weather so you could have an animal that dies from pneumonia.  If you set the trap, have a blanket handy so if Bruiser goes in, you can cover it straight away which will cut down on the stress..........please don't leave unattended.

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 22:59:27 PM »
ccmacey, he is in a country park so i dont think he has been adopted, except by a fox, unlikely another cat will be caught. (i hope)

i forgot to add picture, the yellow pin is where we live backing on to the field, and the line shows the distance, just 0.23 miles to where he is, as you can see the country park, called stanwick lakes, is a massive complex.

the road you can see is the very busy A45.  sorry the pic is so fuzzy

how on earth he ended up over there i will never know, needle and haystack.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 23:35:29 PM by cambsgirl »

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 22:46:56 PM »
Yeahy, Im glad he is still alive and well  ;D

I would try to sit nearby the trap as another cat may get caught and Bruiser will be wary of going near it with a cat in there meowing its head off. It will also need resetting if another cat does get trapped in there.

Good luck

Ps do you think he has adopted someone else? You know what cats are like  :shy:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 22:36:01 PM »
Exellent news, I am sure he will come home when he is ready to do so - the little blighters do it just to assert themselves as wild independant creatures and to see how much effort you are prepared to put into getting them back (at least that has always been my suspicion). Good luck with the trap and hope you don't catch anything too unexpected!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 22:31:41 PM »
Oh Amanda what wonderful news that Bruiser is safe and well ... shame the little sod whon't come t you but least you know he is OK.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 22:29:42 PM »
I really wouldn't leave a trap unattended.  :scared: Accidents do happen, I'm afraid.

If Bruiser is proving difficult to catch, best way forward is to plan it over several days. Go to that exact spot and place food there regularly. He'll get used to the feeding place and will come looking for fresh offerings. After a couple of days, you'll find it much easier to get him. If necessary, bait the trap but don't set it. That way he'll lose his fear of it.

It has to be a waiting game.

Offline cambsgirl

• Adult Cat
Bruiser Update
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 22:21:14 PM »
after a couple previous possible sightings in the area, got a call tonight to say he had been spotted over the country park, as you can see from the photo it is quite a distance, so i bolted over there with his tin to rattle.  when i got there i couldnt see him, a couple were there already looking as they had spotted him, we heard meowing (but i thought could be wishfull thinking) but still couldnt see him.  so i rang the lady that had called me and she came down with her hubbie.  Bruiser then made an appearance but wouldnt come near me, and ran away when i tried to get close.

i was frantically trying to get hold of other half but couldnt, he was walking the dog around the country park at the time, so  i left and bolted back home for tuna/biscuits etc.

when i got back he was there again bold as brass sitting on the fence having a wash next to the entrance, but wouldnt come when i called him and again ran away.

got hold of the CP lady who said when i got hold of other half to send him round to get a trap, but she was understandably concerned the trap would be stolen, but we told her we would replace it if it did.

so we have set the trap in a secluded area where he was baited with tuna, no one can see it, and it is in an area people dont walk.

dont know how i feel, i am ecstatic that i have seen him with my own eyes and he looks healthy, but gutted he wouldnt come to me, and very worried we wont be able to catch him.  the park is a massive place.

are these traps good?  i have visions of rabbits and foxes but no cat.

fingers crossed

Link to CatChat