Author Topic: new kitten info please!!  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
Re: new kitten info please!!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 22:33:39 PM »
At or around 6 months old is pretty standard BUT kittens can be safely done when they are much younger than that; it's a smaller operation which they recover faster from, but not many UK vets do it yet. I'll be waiting till my girls are slightly over 6 months as they didn't have the smoothest start in life, one's quite a bit on the small size for her age, the other's got dodgy hips. Also I want to make sure I'll be around and not busy to nurse them afterwards - have a feeling it'll be quite a job to stop Letty (the naughty one) from getting at her scar... or her sister's!
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline cheshirecat

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 22:20:08 PM »
brilliant thanks Rebecca. I'm lucky my sister is a vet nurse so I get discounts on lots of things!!

Whats the best age to neuter kittens? My cat was 18 months old when she came to me and was already speyed x

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 20:07:28 PM »
The famous Wizz has a brilliant factsheet about it, cheshirecat - you'll find it here: http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html

When you're thinking about potential costs remember monthly insurance for life, 2 vaccinations per kitten, a spay/neuter... the extra food and litter's not that bad, it's the other stuff that really hits you in the wallet!

I've loved having 2 kittens at once - they're so nice together, and they entertain each other which means a little less work for me - and then twice as many snuggles when they're tired out  :Luv:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline cheshirecat

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 20:01:01 PM »
Thank you Ela. As I said in my post yes i can afford them thats not a problem.

as for introducig them correctly - how do I do this in the best possible way?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 19:09:09 PM »
They should if introduced correctly, however, please make sure you really can afford the extra mouth and all the other expenses that come with it.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline cheshirecat

• Kitten
new kitten info please!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 18:55:07 PM »
Hello I'm due to rehome a kitten in the New Year (saw ad on CC a few weeks ago!!) and cant wait!

i already had a 3 year old speyed girlie who is great with other cats so have no issues there but I've always had older cats not kittens!

Some one said to me I might be better off getting two kittens at the same time, which I dont mind doing at all as i have the room and financially can afford 3 of them.

Will 3 girls get on?

thanks xx

Link to CatChat