Author Topic: Is Milly a genius?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: Is Milly a genius?
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 15:15:55 PM »
Can't say any of my cats fetch... Sammy does lie down to a hand signal though (or to the word 'squish'). And if you say 'Seth' or 'hey, bear' ("teddy bear" is his nickname) to Seth he answers back... is that any good?
Oh - just thought of another one. Sammy used to let himself in /out of rooms by jumping up and pulling door handles (he gets humans to do it nowadays) and everyone thought it was really clever. I always thought Seth was cleverer as he just patiently waited for his brother to do the hard work... :evillaugh:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 14:00:51 PM »
Ahh thats really sweet!  :wow: My cats occasionally 'sit and stay' like if they are sitting on my knee and i want to get something, i say 'stay' and they do. Its probably more like they cant be arsed to move though lol 

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 12:22:45 PM »
My 3-month old kitten Mia has started playing fetch too, with a furry mouse. I also thought she was a genius when she first did it!  :rofl:
Mind you, she also put the mousie in her water bowl, and then just stared at it mournfully, refusing to touch it because she hates getting her paws wet  :rofl: She was really upset poor thing. Still don't know what that was all about!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 11:13:19 AM »
Aww that's really cute  ;D ;D
Bilbo plays fetch with his toys from time to time but his main trick is that if he wants to go out for a walk he goes and finds his harness & lead and either carries them to the front door or he drops them at your feet and squeals at you until you take the hint and take him for a walk  :rofl: Bless he's such a cutie (*note from Mr Baggins*: I am not a 'cutie' I am manly and wild!!). He's going to be a nightmare once it starts snowing as he'll be demanding walks all the time then.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »

Awww bless Milly!

My Barney started doing this with his pom pom and spongey ball at about 16 weeks old... he will play for hours, other half has just got him now to drop the ball or pom pom in his hand... he doesn't do it for me but does with him!  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 01:23:55 AM »
Yes Neil n Lucy, my Renie used to play fetch with little foil balls, ive never had a cat thats done that before so therefore i see that as special, ive now got a cat that taps my hand when he wants feeding, dont know if thats a trick, more of a demand lol :)

Offline lucyandneil

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 23:08:40 PM »
Well, it would seem that Milly isn't a genius afterall. But of course she's still one of a kind to us!

I'm very impressed by some of your cats antics. Especially Jessica who has a taste for £50 notes! Thats a useful skill to have....One which I centainly don't possess. Can't remember the last time I saw one!

Offline michelle_b

• Adult Cat
  • Molly & Maisey
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 21:08:29 PM »
Our cat Nero (RIP) used to play fetch, he liked us to throw his ball down the stairs, he used to throw his ball down the stairs himself sometimes then he's run to pick it up and then do it again. At night we could hear him doing it lol.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 20:21:17 PM »
Willow fetches her favourite piece of silver string, she will pick it up in her teeth and jump up on my lap with it - even up on a table and drop it in front of me. If you ignore her, every now & again, she taps it to let you know she wants to play.  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 19:03:15 PM »
My Jessica does this with notes, If you put a f£50 £20, £10 & £5 on the floor she will pick up the £50 every time and when you throw it in a ball she will keep bringing it back time and time again. She loves the smell of money.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Catwhisperer

• Adult Cat
  • LUVERLY LUNA !
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 19:01:03 PM »
Hi Lucy & Neil, sorry to burst your bubble but yes my OH's cat Tibby used to do this  :) Not that she does it anymore, she has more important things like snoozing to do  :evillaugh:  She is what we call a Velcro Cat because she's always velcroed to the rug in front of the fire ! :evillaugh:
Its still very clever though as we always thought she was an exception ! She used to catch flies & spiders to command as well ! :Crazy:
LOVE IS  -  FURRY FACE RUBS !

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 18:55:44 PM »
Hmmn, can't really beat that - that is pretty impressive! In answer to your question, yes she is special  :Luv:

Tiggy's best trick used to be knocking on the front door using the knocker when she was younger, we did have a cat flap round the back but she was just too lazy to go round!

Offline lucyandneil

• Kitten
Is Milly a genius?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 18:37:53 PM »
Okay, maybe not a genius.

But, Milly has started playing fetch. She chases after her little sponge ball, picks it up in her mouth, brings it back to either me or Lucy, and gets ready to chase it again. I've never known a cat do this. Is she special?

Also, if we are upstairs (with Milly) she sometimes runs downstairs, gets her ball and brings it up to us. Myself and Lucy are very impressed by our little lovely.

Any of your cats do this?

(Cue barrage of replies saying how their cats can preform circus tricks/open doors/do the washing up etc....)

Link to CatChat