Author Topic: Timely reminder about food hygiene  (Read 4492 times)

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
Re: Timely reminder about food hygiene
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2007, 20:12:21 PM »
oooh i just remembered.... i once dared my sister to put a phone charger on her tongue  :evillaugh: ooh and glitter was in fashion on the cheeks too and she wanted some on, but all we had was glitter nail varnish so i used that on her except it started to sting so i thought nail varnish remover would work  :shy: only to realise that made it worse and it burnt her skin! :evillaugh: :tired:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2007, 18:31:23 PM »
I've been plagued by flies today ( I washed this morning too! lol )
I think its because of all the muck spreading last week on the fields all around here .

I've had about 8 flies today I swatted.  :-:

This morning I took some sliced chicken breast out of the fridge for the kits tonight and made a cuppa. I had only just sat down and saw a fly leave the chicken  >:( >:(

2 minutes at the most. .

I am not leaving any wet food or meat down from now on. If they don't eat it straightaway its going in the bin or back in the fridge.

I'm putting my fly screens up over the fanlights and I'll look for a door flyscreen tonight. yuk

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 18:38:56 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2007, 10:01:04 AM »
Ela, you'd hate it at my place in the summer!

Correct

I HATE flys, so buy non-toxic fly paper and hang it in the kitchen window.

Although as you know I wouldn't kill a fly, couldn't you get some of those fly trap plants and have them along your window sill, there are some very pretty ones nowadays. At least their death may be a little more sedate.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2007, 09:24:08 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: your all mad

Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »
Can't remember where it was last year, somewhere abroad and they had those horrible fly papers, enough to make you sick it was.

Ela, you'd hate it at my place in the summer! I HATE flys, so buy non-toxic fly paper and hang it in the kitchen window. It saves hours of chasing round like a mad woman trying to kill them with magazines or fly-swatters!

Sometimes I wonder why things like wasps and flys exist. They must have a purpose in the general scheme of things.  :tired:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 20:23:03 PM »
Wow Mark you were a very inquisitive daredevil child!  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 19:57:51 PM »
There was the time my sister decided it would be fun to roller skate downhill, wait until she hit a very high speed and see what would happen if she braked suddenly.

The chin still bears the scars.

The time I was on my friends bike's handlebars, she hit the brakes i wasn't holding on, went flying, I tried to fall gracefully and discovered that black tar hurts a heck of a lot when you try to land on your knees ( I was 9.. I can be forgiven)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 19:43:57 PM »
Then there was the time that my sister talked me into standing on the car floor, door open as Dad drove up the drive. Worked for her, She was on the inside of the curve. My side copped the full centrifugal force, flinging me off into one of the large boulders on the side of the drive - very decorative - the limewash was an interesting shade of pinkish brown for a while .......

Or the time I decided that it would be a good idea to find out whether the jersey bull at Agricultural college was really as savage as they said - it was ......... :-[

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 19:38:26 PM »
There are other equally disturbing things such as "cuddling" the wheel of the lorry that delivered vegetables to our street as it pulled away.  I had a "knit 1, pearl 1" arm for a while (and luckily supple bones)  :evillaugh:

Is it just me or have other people done stupid stuff like that?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 18:24:33 PM »
Ah the wonders of scientific enquiry! :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 18:14:57 PM »
Or put your finger on a bar of an electric fire before turning it on to see how long it takes to warm up  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 18:15:31 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 18:07:43 PM »
Yes, I had a similar result when I tried out what would happen if you tried to sharpen your finger in a pencil-sharpener .......... won't do that again!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 18:06:03 PM »
I have a horrible childhood memory. For some reason, we had a plastic tube around  our front door frame (this was our prefab in Beckton). Once when I was 5 or 6, I decided to suck the tube for some stupid reason and got a mouthful of ladybirds - they were orange ones  :sick:

Which has just reminded me of the even more stupid thing I did around the same time. It isn't a good idea to go down a slide with a broom handle in your mouth  :-[ (my mum tells me they had to use liquid paraffin to stop th bleeding  :sick:)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 18:14:04 PM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 17:01:31 PM »
When I Indorexed my house a while ago it killed a load of ladybirds which I didn't know even existed, and some spiders as well from memory  :(

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 16:58:23 PM »
also kills many insects when they come in through the windows
i only find dead spiders or fliys now 

As much as I don't like flies and I am scared of spiders there is no way I could or would kill one.

the spray that prevents fleas seems to kill all my flies or spiders etc , i dont pertsonally kill the fly myself by spraying it .

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 16:47:10 PM »
Are these sprays safe if a cat then consumes the insect? I know birds die from eating poisoned insects. My lot eat any type of creepy crawly they see!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 16:42:39 PM »
also kills many insects when they come in through the windows
i only find dead spiders or fliys now 

As much as I don't like flies and I am scared of spiders there is no way I could or would kill one.

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 16:31:19 PM »
the spray u use for the house to prevent fleas also kills many insects when they come in through the windows
i only find dead spiders or fliys now  :wow:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 11:53:38 AM »
Lots of  :sick: s in this thread..!

Thats good Mark - I am constantly disinfecting in case the cats have been on there when I am not looking anyway, but still, doesnt bear thinking about!

I really hate flies, the thought of them makes my hair stand on end and makes me shiver if I see one, especially if they keep trying to land on me  :sick:
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 09:46:25 AM »
I'd just like to point out we are not yet in the height of fly season  :scared:

Late august & september i think we have more of them  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
:sick: :sick: Mark that site is gross  :sick:

We had a fly yday but I got it out - our cats only get enough that they finish it in one go (Or Gerti "three dinners" finishes everyones  ;D ) but still  :sick: i'd hate to think that those are on the worktops, etc.

I don't leave food out anywhere or a certain mr man will eat it  :rofl: - he's even eaten butternut squash I left out once! :tired:

I don't think they would lay on the worktops unless there was food to lay on. I think they must lay on food to give the maggots something to eat  :sick:

I guess they are attracted by smelly things like cat food/poo  :sick: :sick:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 08:42:36 AM »
Um nice.

I always take up the wet food dishes as soon as a cat has left it, obviously if I am upstairs or anything it may be a little later but never after about 30 mins. Although I must say that this year we have had only 2 flies in the house. The reason I remember is because we  had not had one in  (that I have seen anyway) for years.

Can't remember where it was last year, somewhere abroad and they had those horrible fly papers, enough to make you sick it was.

Oops just remembered, we had had 3 flies this year, earlier this week I opened a window on the lounge and a huge big fly came in, fortunately it was just buzzing round the window and I managed to persuade it to go out and play with the aid of a newspaper guiding it in the right direction.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:22:53 PM by Ela »

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »
 :sick: :sick: Mark that site is gross  :sick:

We had a fly yday but I got it out - our cats only get enough that they finish it in one go (Or Gerti "three dinners" finishes everyones  ;D ) but still  :sick: i'd hate to think that those are on the worktops, etc.

I don't leave food out anywhere or a certain mr man will eat it  :rofl: - he's even eaten butternut squash I left out once! :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 23:29:58 PM »
I had one single fly in the kitchen and it must have laid 100 eggs on the food  :sick:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 22:53:47 PM »
Oh don't ! I have to give lexy her food (wet) now in the morning with only a small bit of dry for the day....today she didn't eat anything but her wet was fine, it had not midgy horriblies in it... i have to give her all of it or she won't eat until 7pm... :( with her little bought of cystitis she has to be mainly wet for a while.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 22:40:01 PM »
I remember seeing stuff like that on Kylie's tuna imperial last year but I thought it must be bone as it had dried out. I think 1/2 pouch max and chuck out in 10 minutes from now on - no grazing allowed (of wet anyway)  :sick:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 22:32:16 PM »
and hubby has the cheek to call ME hyacinth  :evillaugh

I shall certainly be more alert now though and make sure food isnt left out.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 21:49:50 PM »
I suppose the important thing is keeping stuff covered up - I am going to see if I can get those net things you put on cakes.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 21:45:35 PM »
No its not mark but maybe with all the moisture kicking about and its not really cold it makes them worse ?  either way flys and things like that should just be made extinct  :evillaugh:

providing there are enough beasties to feed my bats  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 21:43:49 PM »
I am going to be extra extra careful now - I wouldn't mind but its not exactly tropical weather.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 20:46:48 PM »
ok only scottish will do here...thats mingin LOL.

My big boys litter tray is in their outside shed, when i was out cleaning it yesterday i noticed there was a few flies buzzing around the shed, they werent there previously but just incase i went and got my indorex or staykill whichever it is spray and gave the shed a good zapping.  I'm sure they had just flown in.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 20:41:33 PM »

But seriously, how long had the food been down for ?  Thats pretty grose, what do fly eggs look like exactly ?

It must have been there about 2 hours - they look like small grains of rice but bunched together. Although they are small, they are surprisingly big considering they come from a fly

There are some gross photos here  :sick:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.justbajan.com/health/articles/flyeggs/eggs1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://justbajan.com/health/articles/flyeggs/index.htm&h=259&w=450&sz=24&hl=en&start=27&um=1&tbnid=G6O9zbYXAZYS7M:&tbnh=73&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfly%2Beggs%2Bon%2Bfood%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 20:44:58 PM by Mark »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 20:33:54 PM »
my house is clean, please don't think I live in a rathole 

Ive always had the impression you'd be an ideal candidate to feature on kim & aggies how clean is your house  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

:rofl: :rofl:

But seriously, how long had the food been down for ?  Thats pretty grose, what do fly eggs look like exactly ?

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 20:11:07 PM »
I go crazy chasing flys around the house, even when I know its gone out I can still hear the buzzing in my head it drives me  :Crazy:

I've started to give my cats smaller portions so I know they will eat it all.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Timely reminder about food hygiene
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 19:44:56 PM »
Before I went out this afternoon, I picked clapton's bowl up from the hallway and put it on the kitchen table. A while ago, I thought I would bin it but wondered if it would be OK to put out for the hedgehog & tortie.

I saw hundreds of fly eggs on it  :sick:
I put neat bleach on them and they dissolved it a minute  :sick: :sick: as although I tied them in an airtight bag, I don't want maggots in my dustbin. Horrible subject  :sick:

Reminded me that its not even that hot yet but food needs to be covered and/or refrigerated - I wouldn't like my kitties to eat fly eggs or worse (is there worse?)

btw - my house is clean, please don't think I live in a rathole  :evillaugh:
I saw one fly in the kitchen which must have come through the window.

Link to CatChat