Author Topic: MICROCHIPPING.  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: MICROCHIPPING.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 17:00:09 PM »
Mine are all with Petlog but I cant find Misas card and details anywhere and he was done before all the others, also cant find his health checkcard with vaccination details. Its driving me crazy and have been looking for them all afternoon.

Now where could I have put them that I thought was a good safe place?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 15:34:30 PM »
My vets use Vibac Backhome and i added info to Georges data online for nothing  ;D

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 12:44:02 PM »
Thanks for that Susanne  ;D

We are viewing a house tonight so I might have a new address to give to the chipping people  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »
So does it matter which company my vet uses, is it worth asking if it's idENTICHIP, do they seem to be the best ones then?

It matters not which companys chips are used as  they are now universal. I expect a vet would only use the chips from only  one company ,so clients would not really have a choice.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »
Here you go - petlog premium.  It's only £10 if you do it online and then you can make as many amendments to the details as you like

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/438

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 10:52:30 AM »
Mine have american microchips with letters in them, fitted in SA, not just numbers and they could be read by the scanners both here and in France. Petlog had no problem registering the foreign chips. Nor did the national feline register in France.
I would just make sure that they are ISO standard and readable throughout wherever you think you may travel with them as you can't get a pet passport with more than one chip inserted in the cat. Theoretically anyhow.
You may want to see if any vets in your area have a microchipping promotion, as mine sometimes does. Imho it's really worth the money though, ditto Petlog.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 10:51:11 AM »
Petlog! thats the one Gerti is with.

Okay £5 a change I think I can deal with.. its just that we are about to move - and then in a year we are moving to Derby, and then we will move when we want to buy our own house - could get pricey  :rofl:

Sounds like you need to go for the one off fee then so that subsequent changes will be free.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 10:30:41 AM »
Petlog! thats the one Gerti is with.

Okay £5 a change I think I can deal with.. its just that we are about to move - and then in a year we are moving to Derby, and then we will move when we want to buy our own house - could get pricey  :rofl:
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 10:21:32 AM »
Mine are with petlog I think - do they use identichip?  If I recall correctly it is £5 to change the address, or you can pay a one off fee of something like £15 and then it's free for as many changes of address as you like.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 09:52:36 AM »
Thanks Ela. So does it matter which company my vet uses, is it worth asking if it's idENTICHIP, do they seem to be the best ones then?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 09:21:29 AM »
So are there lots of different companies that hold your microchip data and you just register with one?

You actually register with the company whose  chip the vet or rescue has used. idENTICHIP  for instance can be read in every country as they fit in with the I.S.O. (International Standards Organisation) requirements. Unfortunately they can't be detected in the United States of America where only 10 digit microchips can be read.

If you are planning to move to the USA. it is  advised  that you ask your Vet to purchase a 10 digit microchip from your chip company.

On trying to chase up the owner of a chipped pet, the vet/rescue will contact the company they use and if the chip is not proper to them they can find out from their records which  company it is proper to and will transfer you direct to that company.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 09:03:40 AM »
Can I ask at the vets who they do it with? Not sure how it all works!

I'd like a bit of clarification on that too if anyone can help? So are there lots of different companies that hold your microchip data and you just register with one?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 08:33:15 AM »
but changing an address surely takes 5 mins max,

I know what you are saying but it could be loads a day and unfortunately it has to be paid for. Thus says by me who family business is a soft touch, we sometimes train folks for free or for very little. I remember a man once who said he needed to cancel his test as he had just found out his wife was expecting twins. We did the rest of his training for free. Having said that we are just a family firm and others don't have to rely on us for their Salary and job.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 08:02:05 AM »
Wow - £9 - definitely getting the other two done after we move though! I expect they do employ staff for the admin, but changing an address surely takes 5 mins max, those admin people must be raking it in then!  :Crazy:

I cant remember who Gerti is chipped with, I have the document but I haven't looked at it in a while.. If I get the other two done with identichip then, its probably worth paying a couple quid more than the £9 as I will probably change my address a few times over the next few years, and I would like all those extras such as the posters etc. (Can I ask at the vets who they do it with? Not sure how it all works!)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 07:49:58 AM »
we have just moved house and to change the address on the chip you have to pay bout 9 quid a cat , how rude ....

I expect chip companies have to employ someone even if only part time especially to change details as they must get many application a week and as a business we have to pay for that. I think idENTICHIP charge £5 although when we as a Charity change a nae it is free. If when you first have your cat chipped  with idENTICHIP you can pay them £11.95 and then if your pet goes missing then all you have to do is make one phone call to the dedicated 24hr helpline. They  will then immediately send a Local Alert to Dog Wardens, Recovery Centres and Veterinary Surgeries in the surrounding area. They  will then keep you updated on their  progress, and you have the reassurance that your missing pet is being advertised over a wide area.
They will produce 'Lost' posters on your behalf and mail them to you for displaying locally. At any time you will be able to access their on-line Lost Pet Register for information.

Other benefits of membership

idENTICHIP  Locate also provides a number of additional features including;
•     Free changes to address details, currently costing £5 per change.
•     Free holiday address details, currently costing £5 per change.
•     Publish a pet photo on their website.
•     Free annual reminder by email to check your contact details.
•     "Find a Vet" service on the website.
•     Identiclub Membership.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 21:48:32 PM »
Do u know what has annoyed me though ......we have just moved house and to change the address on the chip you have to pay bout 9 quid a cat , how rude .... for changing a address on a computer

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 19:42:27 PM »
Even Sasa didnt flinch!!

She was probably so scared of being held and stroked by the vet, the chip was the least of her problems  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 19:39:24 PM »
Its worth it dawn, ask the receptionist if they have any days that are special, a vets here do it half price on the last friday each month  ;D
Its not as bad as you expect, George was done in his basket and he didnt even notice, adult cats have a nice amount of fat  :evillaugh:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »
me and oh love having paw prints on car  :) nice to think a kitty was on there - although not very often now.

When we lived in Chester there was a lovely cat who used to go from car to car - if you pulled up he would go sit on your car as it would still be warm  ;D used to hook his paws under space between bonnet and windscreen so he didnt slide down  :rofl:

Must admit Cheese and Doc are not chipped - I keep meaning to - both of them get really scared at the vets though, but apparently some cat sitters do it in the home? I would rather do that than take them to the vets without absolutely having to. Both need vacc updates soon though, so might be a good idea to do it then  :Luv:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:57:10 AM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 10:55:32 AM »
but I suppose it's also necessary incase they escape.

We chip our cats/kittens when they are homed. Indeed quite recently a kitten who had escaped was reunited with its owner within hours thanks to a chip.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
 :Luv:  What lovely endings and all down to microchipping.

I'm still not sure when to get my babes done. The vets were pressing me to have them done when they have their booster vacs, so they'll be 13 weeks old. Or do I wait until they go in for the unmentionable little ops ( :evillaugh:). they won't be going outside until then, but I suppose it's also necessary incase they escape.

as he had been complaining that the cat mad paw prints on his car

I love getting little paw prints on my car, don't know why, just find it kinda cute!

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 07:58:40 AM »
What a happy ending.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 07:56:24 AM »
Its not even expensive - our vet charges £8.75 on top of the kitten pack to chip.

I really can't talk as our cats still have the London address - I really must get the addresses changed

Yes you must. Taken from my Chipping page on my site:- Very recently a cat was found on a main road in Chesterfield it was take to our vets where it received medical attention and was found to be blind, although it was micro-chipped they could not trace the owner so they asked us if we would take it in. The telephone number and address were in Kent, I contacted the Cats Protection nearest to the given address and they went to the house and found out that the family have moved out over 3 years ago and no one knew where. The surname was unusual so I logged onto Directory enquiries for the Kent area, no luck, so I then looked in the London area and there were 2 families listed with that surname, I rang them both but no luck, I had of course looked in our local book, I then rang directory enquiries and asked if anyone with that surname was listed as ex-directory, wonderful there were two families. I explained the position and asked if it were possible for them to ring the families and ask if they had come from Kent and had lost a cat, of course you know the answer. I then decided to ask the local paper if they could put an appeal in. A while later I received a call from one of the office workers, she actually knew a gentleman with that surname through his work with the children of Chernobyl and would ask him to ring me. Yes, it was his cat who had been missing for about a week, a few days before she (now we know her name is Sophie) had disappeared, Sophie had a stroke and the family thought she had gone away to die,  (I did explain that was an old wife’s tale) Sophie was not blind the last time the family had seen her so perhaps she had been involved in some other sort of trauma. She is now back with her family thanks indirectly to the Micro-chip and hopefully she will recover . 
Apparently there are only 8 families in the country with the surname, the owner still works in Essex  but lives in Chesterfield, he advised me that he thought the new vet (who was not our vet) would have automatically informed the micro chip company of his change of address. 

Had the owner changed the address it woud have save us a lot of time. Also I expect not everyone whould have gone to such lenghts to find the owner.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 22:14:04 PM »
moomin and mango have been chipped when i got them at 8 wk old and 14 wk old
i took Luna for her helth check on mon as got her on sat , i asked forher to be chipped and the nurse said she would rather waite for anouther 2 month till she had a little more fat on her neck , good point i dont want her been hurt however i love her and have paid A LOT of money for hr been show and am even more worried about her escaping now
i am really carefull but if se did get out i would die , her having no chip

its funny how they did the other 2 at this age though

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 18:42:06 PM »
Its not even expensive - our vet charges £8.75 on top of the kitten pack to chip.

I really can't talk as our cats still have the London address - I really must get the addresses changed  :-[
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 18:10:33 PM »
ALL my advice will be listened to.

I couldn't agree more, we only place indoor cats to flats. Also it only take one of the flat tenants/owners not to like cats  and all sorts of problems can arise.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 17:47:08 PM »
I have just given advice today on vaccs & expressed importance of chipping, glad to say the new owner is going to be getting all done.  However she mentioned that when the kitten is old enough and after neutering if he really wanted to go out she'd let him..but as she lived in a flat he'd have to stay out daytime until she returned home again after work..i've really tried to put my point across why this would be a very bad unsafe idea so hopefully ALL my advice will be listened to.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 17:22:32 PM »
There was a story in our area recently. A man originally from Broadstairs went to live in Spain for a couple of years. While out there, he took pity on a feral kitten, adopted her and had her spayed, vacinated and chipped by a Spanish vet.

A year or so later, he moved back to Broadstairs and took puss with him. But a few months later, puss went missing. Someone found her a few weeks after that, and took her to the vet. She was found to have a Spanish chip. The vet called the RSPCA, who called the international Blue Cross, who called the Spanish Goverment Livestock dept. who traced the vet, who had just happened to have just recieved a letter from the man to say puss had gone missing.

Puss was less than three miles from where she should have been all along...  :shy:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 17:10:34 PM »
What a lovely story at least one family will be a bit happier today.   :hug:

I wish I knew what happened to my Gizmo, she will have been missing exactly one year today.  I waved my son off in the car as he was off to Greece with his girlfriend, Gizmo was right there in the garden and that is the last that I saw of her.  She was eighteen months old, spayed and chipped, very loving and friendly cat - it is as if she just vanished off the face of the earth.   :(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
MICROCHIPPING.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 14:45:28 PM »
Last week an elderly gentleman who lives in the countryside rang me about a stray cat. He was not in an area covered by any CP but I told him I would put the cat on our list of cats waiting to come in, and asked him that next time he came to Chesterfield if he could take the cat to the vets to see if it was chipped. I also told him that if he thought the cat needed to see a vet at any time to contact me and if he could take it we would pay. Yesterday he rang me to say that the little one did not seem well and had just curled up, I asked him to make an appointment at out vet and bless him within an hour he had taken the little one. The cat is very ill (I am not sure exactly what is wrong) but the good news it is was chipped and had been missing from Sheffield many miles from where it was found for 7 weeks and the owners children had been out every night calling the cat. They suspect a neighbour had relocated it as he had been complaining that the cat mad paw prints on his car and also it had pooooood in the back garden. Thanks to chipping this cat will hopefully be reunited with its owner,

Link to CatChat