Author Topic: Feral  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Feral
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 17:39:20 PM »
what makes me  >:( is the way, on another pet forum which shall be nameless ;) when someone posts that they are looking for a kitten all the breeders pile in with offers of their latest litters for hundreds of pounds
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 17:28:56 PM »
Glad hes all sorted out  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 10:32:54 AM »
I still have a problem with breeding whether it's pedigrees or moggies

Ditto

Me too !
Really gets my back up

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 06:47:18 AM »
Great news  ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 01:52:38 AM »
Kally that's fab news, so glad it all worked out in the end for the little fella  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 01:17:20 AM »
just thought i would give people a update on this old subject the cat in question became friendly again and my sister was able to catch him in her kitchen and hes been in his forever home for quite some time now
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 15:59:05 PM »
I still have a problem with breeding whether it's pedigrees or moggies

Ditto
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 15:43:13 PM »
MM: "The breed was developed by crossing the Burmese, Abyssinian, and Domestic shorthair cats to create a shorthaired cat with a spotted coat" !!!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 15:36:53 PM »
Good luck catching your tom, i reckon once he's neutered he will chill out and become all lovely again. If theres people with females that need doing aswell encourage them to get vouchers from CP.

Australian Mists
Not heard of them, off to look them up....

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 13:30:22 PM »
No you don't have to have a licence for breeding cats you just need to be a registered cattery (prefix or suffix) with FIFe, GCCF or TICA and abide by all their rules and codes of conduct and rules about number of litters allowed etc.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 13:26:40 PM »
i do agree that all breeders should be licensed but unfortunately not sure if its same with cats but with dogs if you have more than two females your breeding from then you have to get a licence but i think it should be even if you just have one female you should have to have a licence i know there man made breeds but then again most breeds of all animals are man made my mum and her friend lilian are always telling me how they remember dog licences and how they should be made for every animal but unfortunately i think because of people breeding here there and everywhere or just simply not getting their animals done the animal population is out of control
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 12:57:28 PM »
 I think it should be made law that ALL dogs and cats should be spayed/neutered unless they have a breeders license, they are monitored and it is done properly and sensibly.

Fully agree with that. I think it should also be made law to microchip kittens and puppies (as well as older cats and dogs) before they go to new homes so that the owners can be easily traced.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 13:16:39 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »
well i can understand people breeding pedigree cats as you have to keep these breeds alive

I still have a problem with breeding whether it's pedigrees or moggies  :tired:  Rescues are not only inundated with moggies but you will find a lot of pedigree cats find themselves in the same situation because owners can't look after them or they don't want them.  I think it should be made law that ALL dogs and cats should be spayed/neutered unless they have a breeders license, they are monitored and it is done properly and sensibly.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 12:51:42 PM »

I think that there are already so many cats in rescues - some of them specifically pedigree rescues - that there's no real need currently to purposely breed cats.

*Sorry if that offends anyone!*

*covers Lirael's eyes!*

I've always owned Moggies until Lirael who is a burmese - however her breeder was desperate to get rid of her at 6months due to cat flu.

Noticed on a couple breeders websites they will only let you buy one of their kittens if you sign an agreement to get the kitten neutered at 6 months of age.

Rather have a rescue cat any day, but not everyone thinks that way or thinks of the welfare of the cats out there without homes.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »
well i can understand people breeding pedigree cats as you have to keep these breeds alive

A lot of breeds are not natural though and are 'man-made' so for those breeds it's not as if they were bred to keep the breed alive in the first place (I have no issues with people responsibly breeding the natural breeds). Quite a few cats are being 'created' to become new breeds at the moment, Australian Mists and Toygers spring first to mind, which infuriates me  :rage:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:45:58 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »

Not sure I agree to be honest. A lot of pedigree animals are only in existence due to humans tampering with biology and cross breeding. And due to that some of these animals have health problems. (Persians and Hairless rats spring to my mind straight away.)

I think that there are already so many cats in rescues - some of them specifically pedigree rescues - that there's no real need currently to purposely breed cats.

*Sorry if that offends anyone!*

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »
well i can understand people breeding pedigree cats as you have to keep these breeds alive but unfortunately theres just not enough room for all these animals cause its not just with cats at the society for abandoned animals they dont put animals to sleep unless there seriously ill but the problem is there is half of them were born there and i fear will die there (unfortunately saw it happen few weeks back) and some of the rabbits there dont get the attention they need there and so become aggressive because everyone wants to go there for the cats and dogs but leave the rabbits out  :( but im saving up to get one rabbit from there that i have fell in love with she does bite but whilst i was there i had been handling her a lot more and she started to become tamer and so every monday when catherine is in she now feels she can handle her too! they said they will let me know if she gets a reserve whilst im trying to save up for her

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 12:31:13 PM »
Thats why I have an issue with people buying pedigrees - Yes they are lovely to look at but surplus to requirements.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:32:18 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 12:25:09 PM »
I don't think peeps realise how bad the cat situation is until they get involved in rescue.  Everyone thinks we have these ever expanding walls which sadly isn't the case.......I wish it was and so many more can be helped.  Until owners have their cats spayed and neutered, the problem is going to go on and innocent lives are going to be lost.   The ones who are to blame for all these cats that tragically have to be pts because there's nowhere for them, are the ones who quite happily breed their cats without a thought for all the ones stuck in rescues throughout the country  >:(

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
i know a lot of people hate the RSPCA because they do that but they get the majority of unwanted cats, dogs etc and they do try and get them into rescues where they can but its not always possible and i admit i dont alway like it when you make a complaint about an animal being left suffering but unfortunately they cant get to every call made as they have one call centre to do for the whole of the uk they used to have local call centres but not anymore god i sound like i work for them but i had atutor who used to work for them so he can explained all this to me when i used to hate them

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
I can understand what you are saying......I do cat rescue and I know how hard it is to try and make room for all the unwanted cats, I have never pts unless they've been ill and nothing can be done for them.  But I can understand why sometimes this is the only option  :'(  :'(
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:10:11 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 12:06:04 PM »
i know it always seems so harsh and upsetting but unfortunately theres too many cats in the world to fit into all the lives of people that love cats and can have cats sorry if that sounds little mixed up i cudnt think of another way of putting it all we can do is do our best to help the ones that we can get a loving home where they will be well looked after

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 11:57:58 AM »
That's good that she's going to find somewhere for him.  Some rescues do pts if there's nowhere for them to go........I was talking to my friend last night and she turned one down the other day, when she thought about it and realised she had somewhere for him, she contacted the rescue and they'd already had the vet put him to sleep  :'(  :'(

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
the lady is going to take him once hes been done to the sanctuary she volunteers at so that even if he cant be turned back into a domestic cat he can be homed at a farm or somewhere like that or at least that is what i have been told if theres no place for him there then she will foster him until there is cause she fosters aswell as microchips

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 11:49:49 AM »
partington theres a local lady that microchips for the RSPCA she said she will try to get a trap

If you get stuck, give me a shout as I may be able to get someone to help.  Is he just being released again once he's been done or have you got someone lined up who will look after and feed him?

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:49:28 AM »
Trust me you don't want to try and catch a feral without a trap! Even though you are trying to catch him for his own good he won't understand that plus no doubt you'll catch other ferals before you catch the one you're after.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »
well the lady that microchips for the RSPCA is going to take him andget him done for free he used to be a dead friendly cat but then most of his family moved away and he ran away

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Is there a reason you need to catch him without a trap?I would have thought by far the easiest way would be with a trap...  If you ask your local Cats Protection/RSPCA/local rescue I'm sure they would be able to lend you one (you might have to pay a deposit which you'll get back in full when you return the trap).  The CP may also be able to help with a neutering voucher to cover the cost of getting him done.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
partington theres a local lady that microchips for the RSPCA she said she will try to get a trap

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 11:43:13 AM »
The only way it can be done is via a trap otherwise you could be seriously hurt.  You can usually loan a trap either from the CP or the RSPCA......they may ask you to put a deposit down but it will be returned once they get the trap back.  What area are you in?

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
Feral
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »
does anyone know how i can catch a feral without a cat trap because my sisters neighbours cat has turned feral and is inpregnating most of cats around here we all want him caught so he can be neutered even the owner(she wants to give him up) i mean in a way im thankfull to the cat as hes the father of 3 of mine but i think its bout time he had the snip

Link to CatChat