Author Topic: Naughty Soot, I'm not impressed!!  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Naughty Soot, I'm not impressed!!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »
I think most wild birds stink  :sick:  It's been jumping round in the carrier and tweeting away.  I've handreared a few wild birds over the years, but I'm always a bit dubious with having the parrots as well.......if I can avoid taking them in, I do but when you have a naughty cat that insist on bringing one home as a present, there's not a lot I can do  :censored: 

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »
If its a starling it will stink, they have a horrid smell about them.  :sick: Is it trying to walk?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 10:44:57 AM »
His wings look to be fine, he has a bit of a cut on his back area but I'll get the vet to have a look later.  We have a wildlife sanctuary up the road but I know she's up to her eyes in cats at the moment so I'm gonna try and get hold of the vet nurse to see if she knows anyone that will nurse it.  Hubby thinks it's a thrush and not a starling  :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 10:30:41 AM »
I had a blackbird fledgling the other day and it ate 20 worms in one sitting, i dont know how mummy birds keep up with them! My mums friend now has it in her huge rabbit run  ;D
Trying to hold a worm in tweezers is actually quite a skill  :rofl:

A friend worked at a wildlife rescue and she said that if a bird has been in a cats mouth it needs an antibiotic jab or they are at risk of septicaemia. Even a teeny puncture mark can do it.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:17:52 AM »
He's still alive and James is just attempting to feed him again  :Luv:

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:07:54 AM »
I hate it when they do that...

My Sam is the worst, he brings home dead animals full sized pigeons, frogs, mice, squirrals split in half.. And then he brngs home the live stuff that he still wants to play with, like the frog that ended in my shoe, the squirral that ran round the whole house and landed on my mother's head and the bird that was really hard to catch.

I hope the bird is doing ok this morning!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 09:54:35 AM »
That happened to me the other week. Luckily one of the vets next door was just leaving so he examined it and said the bite on its side wasn't fatal and the wings were fine. As far as I know, it flew off. Wing damage is another story - I wonder if a sanctuary would help?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »
Hows the bird doing this morning Dawn?
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Rogue

• Kitten
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 03:00:20 AM »
Its awful when that happens.  My Squidge was bringing home two birds a day at one point!   :'(  I remember he brought home what looked to be a baby pigeon, it was just growing its adult feathers and still had bits of baby fluff on it.  Apart from a small wound on its back it seemed fine so I did as you did, in the cat carrier in the shed, but it died in the night.  :'(

I hope your little bird makes it.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Naughty Soot, I'm not impressed!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:52:45 AM »
Mini Soot went out earlier and decided to bring a baby starling back for me, he's obviously nicked it out of a nest in the dark  :'(  I heard this horrible noise outside the back door and Sooty had it in his mouth.........I've retrieved it and it's got some damage to its wing but looks to be okay other than that.  I've now put it in a cat carrier, wrapped in a baby blanket and fingers crossed it will still be okay in the morning.  Chances are it will die of shock in the night but sometimes they do survive........hopefully this will be a lucky one  :)

Link to CatChat