Author Topic: Travelodge & pets  (Read 8247 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Travelodge & pets
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 14:48:20 PM »
I don't know anyone with that condition

As I posted previously as Gordon Browns son has just been diagnosed with it you may hear more. until quite recently the life expectancy was very short nowadays it can be up to 30 and last night they were saying that it may  rise to 40, but of course many many do not make it past childhood, to  keep alive every day a CF sufferer must  take pancreatic enzyme supplement capsules with every meal and most snacks (even babies who are breastfeeding may need to take enzymes). Jay has hundreds a week. they must take multi-vitamins. They need to have some form of airway clearance at least once and sometimes up to four or more times a day that takes at least 30 mins each time, they need to take aerosolised medicines. These are liquid medications that are made into a mist or aerosol and then inhaled through a nebulizer The have a permanent Port-a-Cath  in their chest so that antibiotics can get the the right spot quickly.
It is just a horrible horrible condition
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 16:29:45 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 12:41:15 PM »
Does anyone know why Travelodge charge £10 per pet per night rather than just £10 per night? I wouldn't have thought that they'd need to do double the amount of cleaning if 2 cats have been in there.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 12:38:58 PM »
I don't know anyone with that condition but I do know what a pain it can be not being able to go everywhere you want as I have lots of allergies. Went up to my friends wedding and discovered I couldn't go to the reception as they'd put balloons up as they'd forgotten about my allergy, shopping centres are putting balloons up in shops for Xmas and things which is a pain and of course I can't eat out in most restaurants because of nuts and seeds etc. Had an allergic reaction at uni earlier in the term as someone at the front of the lecture theatre decided to start munching on m&ms. Got the fun next year of going on a plane and praying very hard that no-one else on the plane decides to eat nuts (whilst BA can guarantee not to serve nuts on the plane they obviosuly can't stop people bringing their own on the flight) Anaphylactic shock at 30,000ft is not a good idea, have done it once and don't want to do it again.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »
Basically if you have life threatening allergies or medical conditions everywhere you go is a risk and to be safe you'd never be able to leave your house

Sadly that is often true. Jay cannot go to weddings, parties or anywhere where she is likely to be anyone who smokes.
Even if many pupils have colds at school she has to stay at home. it is so sad, however as I said previously unless you actually know someone with this debilitating illness it would be difficult to imagine what it is like. Unfortunatly nowadays you seem to hear of it more and more.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 12:18:29 PM »
would also think it's reasonable for them to have some rooms that are pet free and some where pets are allowed - don't know whether that's what they actually do.

I do too, the same as they do for smokers. Abroad dogs can go almost everywhere and in most restaurants

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 11:52:20 AM »
I presume the rooms are cleaned between guests?  :evillaugh:  Provided you clean them properly there shouldn't be too much of a risk.  Difficiult to eliminate all risk.  I would also think it's reasonable for them to have some rooms that are pet free and some where pets are allowed - don't know whether that's what they actually do.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 11:48:33 AM »
That's just my opinion anyway.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 11:48:10 AM »

I am not saying ban animals at all what I am saying is that perhaps it is not wise to sneak animals in, as once you have left someone with a life threatening disease  could go into that room.

But someone could have had nuts, balloons or other substances in a room and then a person with an allergy to X goes into the room afterwards which is exactly the same as the person you know having problems with animal fur only difference is people don't have to sneak ballons and things in as they don't charge £10 a night per balloon or packet of nuts.
Basically if you have life threatening allergies or medical conditions everywhere you go is a risk and to be safe you'd never be able to leave your house.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 11:34:28 AM »
Sorry I don't  know why that has all come in a quote box

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 11:24:12 AM »
Hotels don't ban nuts/ latex/ seeds etc from hotel rooms so why should they ban animals?

I am not saying ban animals at all what I am saying is that perhaps it is not wise to sneak animals in, as once you have left someone with a life threatening disease  could go into that room. When you have such a disease you ask for a none smoking room and if you knew animals were accepted you would ask for one where animals we not allowed.

Perhaps  you only realize the full implications if you know someone with Cystic Fibrosis and see the suffering.

Perhaps now that Gordon Browns baby has been diagnosed there may be more publicity about this dreadfull illness.

<edit from Becca> fixed that quote for you Ela :)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:54:54 AM by Rebecca (beccaviola) »

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 11:08:28 AM »
[
Also there is the health aspect taking a pet especially a cat into a hotel room could cause someone with a life threatening illness to be very ill and die in a worse case scenario e.g. a Cystic fibrosis sufferer.

That's true of loads of things though and we can't ban everything that could potentially cause someone to be ill. Hotels don't ban nuts/ latex/ seeds etc from hotel rooms so why should they ban animals??

Why are cats more likely than dogs to cause a health risk in a hotel room out of interest?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 08:28:52 AM »
Has anyone actually taken their cat to a travelodge?

know people do, however I personally would not. I don't think it fair. I think there is a big difference between taking in a cat and a dog. Usually you know what a dog is likely to do, however a cat is a different  matter it can cause all manner of damage and that is just not fair.

Also there is the health aspect taking a pet especially a cat into a hotel room could cause someone with a life threatening illness to be very ill and die in a worse case scenario e.g. a Cystic fibrosis sufferer.

Another bit of useless information we have horses go up and down our Drive, if one does a pooooo Lorraine the Cystic fibrosis sufferers mum has to phone the council immediately and they come to remove it as even 50 yards away from her home the spores from the pooooo can have a devastating effect on the Cystic Fibrosis suffer.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 21:21:37 PM »
Bilbo Baggins stays at Travelodges on show weekends but we have always sneaked him in. Last time when he was there for 2 nights he was rather naughty though and decided to swing from the curtains and tore a chunk of the black out material off the back, whoops!!  :shify:

Offline Emma S

• Adult Cat
  • Meg and Darcey
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 20:49:25 PM »
Has anyone actually taken their cat to a travelodge? How does it work? I was just thinking about cleaners etc coming into the rooms. The cats would be off out like a shot :)

That's always my beef. People say the travelodge is  £56 and you are £75 (midweek!) but they forget that travelodge charge about £7 a head for breakfast (which isn't free range local etc like mine)

I actually really like the travelodges. We've had some really good deals on them - last weekend we went to London and stayed for £26 for a double room. We've also had rooms for £10 and £15...and yeah, some of them are on the motorway but we take the car and we're sorted! I know they charge for brekkie but to be honest I dont like breakfasts in hotels/B&Bs...they always do them so bloody early that I'm never up in time :)

Its ideal for people like me who dont have huge amounts of cash to stay places, but still like to go away, especially in the winter when camping isnt really an option!!

Have I made this non-cat related now??? This is stoooooopid :P
Love Emma & the girls - Meg and Darcey xxx

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »
When Casper was a few months old, we took him to Center Parcs in Nottingham. (They didn't know though). He is  very much a people cat, and he doesn't mind going in the car at all. I don't think I would take my others though as they like their own surroundings, but Casper made himself at home straight away when we got there. We were very careful about not leaving doors or windows open, and of course made sure his tray was kept clean and put down plastic underneath and around it just in case. We also took our own bedding as we knew he would want to sleep on the bed with us. In any case, dogs are allowed at Cener Parcs, so can't see why cats wouldn't be.

He had a lovely time though,although he wasn't too keen on the pool  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 10:12:18 AM »
  :rofl:  OOh Mark you always set me off laughing.  I bet you could tell ussome right tales (black cats!!!)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:13:52 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 09:29:17 AM »
new paint

I do understand that bit as If I go any where new paint I get in a terrible state, I once just looked over an open pot of paint to check the colour within minutes, I had a lump on my forhead my top lip swelled so much it cracked open and started bleeding. Even new paint on walls give me a terrible headache as indeed does petrol.

Oh dear this post is typical of how we can easily get off the cat theme.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 19:14:24 PM »
ohhhhh the pong.

LOL Gill, yes, with three indoor cats, I know the pong only too well especially Frankie, I've a good mind to report him to the International Commission for Biological Warfare, he does the smelliest poohs of any cat I've know, that and his flatulence :). I've taken to wearing a biological warfare suit and gas mask which I got cheap on e-bay and keep getting all steamed up :)

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 19:15:05 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 17:42:52 PM »
The sort of guests I dread Gill. That's one of the reasons I say "cat friendly" in all emails. I had some people arrive on saturday and he said my wife is allergics to cats, I thought "here we go" - I don't have any patience with them any more so I said - "It's on the email, she is welcome to an allergy pill but my cats live here and they are not being restricted for guests, sorry :P " Anyway, she bravely soldiered on and as she was leaving the next day, I asked how her allergy was and she said obviously I didn't allow cats in the rooms as she would have been "writhing on the floor in agony" - stupid woman!

I had an american couple early this year a feminist cartoonist who was over to do workshops. The university of kent booked her a room for a week. Almost every day for a week I got emails about what her partner was allergic to, ie cats (even asked colours of cats as she is more allergic to black!!!!), smoke, gas fumes from boilers, new paint (ie do you intend to do any painting prior to our arrival?),  etc etc - If it wasn't a week booking I would have told them to butter off somewhere else  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 17:28:22 PM »
Cant see Sasa approving of the travelodge.............no catflap  :rofl:

Misa says he wouldnt like it cos he likes lots of space to move around in and would never sleep in a bed!

The birmans say they love beds but they must have a human in and that bed did not look big enough.

I dont think they have really thought this through either, if my four where all indoors for two weeks , a 30litre bag of none flushing litter would be used, where would you put it all, do they have special bins for it,,,,,,,,,,and ohhhhh the pong.

Do they keep rooms that have had animals in just for peeps with animals cos some peeps like my sister cant stay in a room which have had animals, smokers, fur etc in them cos she has asthma and is allergic to almost every thing!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 17:29:29 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 14:33:31 PM »
OH NO!!!!, (pause for dramatic music) da da da dah dahhhhhhhh, not the OTHER board :)

http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/terrified_scream.wav

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 14:49:37 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 14:12:57 PM »
Anyway, going off topic now - if I'm not careful, We'll get evicted to the other board  ;)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 14:09:03 PM »
That's always my beef. People say the travelodge is  £56 and you are £75 (midweek!) but they forget that travelodge charge about £7 a head for breakfast (which isn't free range local etc like mine), they are a mile out of town and on a motorway etc etc. But I always say "why don't you stay there then?" - funnily enough they always say "they are full up!"  ;D

Still - I always tell myself that I don't want trash in my house, like the girl who asked about the "2nd hand" furniture in her room (referring to a regency chest  :) )
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 14:09:46 PM by Mark »

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 13:34:51 PM »
The daft thing is it's really not even that cheap! It IS convenient though - I know that I'll be able to park in a wide enough space to get out without dinging my car door, that the room will be wheelchair accessible,and that in the morning I can be back on the motorway very quickly indeed.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 13:31:35 PM »
I can'timagine any of mine putting up with it (unless I gave them a tranquilizer 1st!)

If sniffy people tell me my B&B is too expensive, I always ask them if they would like the number for Travelodge as they "have budget accommodation"  :evillaugh:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 13:22:35 PM »
I resemble that remark!

I'm one of the Norton Canes travelodge's best customers... I live in Manchester, my folks are in London and I'm very seldom fit enough to do the drive all in one go.

Never thought of taking the puds with, though... not sure they'd travel very well!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 13:33:29 PM by Rebecca (beccaviola) »
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 13:21:16 PM »
Kylie said she wouldn't be seen dead in a Travelodge - she said they are for students & sales reps  :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 13:14:08 PM »
My lot wouldn't use those beds as they wouldn't be seen dead in blue and tan check, so not their colours !!!! :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 13:14:34 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 13:06:40 PM »
Apparently all travelodges allow cats already but it was the trial bed thing that got me  ;D

I know Willow would have a good sniff around and mark areas of interest with her unique and pungent perfume  :evillaugh: - Hope they keep plenty of simple solution in.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »
No, little paws couldn't push the right combination of buttons on the on-screen menus, not that I know anything about that of course (as I've never seen a cat doing that) :)

Methinks they haven't fully thought this one through, I wonder if anyone has ever seen/smelled a hotel room after a fourtnight with three cats kept in close confinement ?. :)

Mind you after a fourtnight spent in a Travel Lodge the cats wouldn't be the only ones chewing the carpet to get out :) :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 13:05:19 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:55:27 PM »
And a kitty porn channel?  :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:48:35 PM »
And maybe they organise a program of excursions for them as well, a special cat minbus to sights of local interest, aquariums, cat food factories, parks etc. or maybe a nice boat trip down the Tyne or on the Mersey Ferry, a visit to the Bull Ring or a pleasant afternoon in Sherwood Forest ? :Crazy:

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 13:02:19 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 12:46:53 PM »
 :gpoint: I wonder if they have a cat family room?  :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:44:02 PM »
LOL Mark, I'd need three of them and still they'd ignore them and sleep on top of me.

I wonder if room service includes cat meals, litter tray(s) maintenance etc. ? or are they expected to dine in the dining room ? :)

Maybe they have a seperate cat dining area and a cat menu !.

I wonder if they do discounts for multiple cats ?.

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:47:03 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Travelodge & pets
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »
I knew Travelodge allowed pets but look at this  :catluv:

Can't bear to be parted from your pet?

According to a recent survey almost two-thirds of respondents (61%) admitted they hate leaving their pets behind when they are away from home.

To respond to this demand, Travelodge has customised a replica of their luxury king size bed to accommodate our customers' pets. The bespoke pet bed is 2' 6" long and 2' wide and comes complete with mattress, pillow and duvet.

The pet bed will be trialled in Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham and Nottingham Travelodge hotels.

Top tips when taking pets away with you

* Take a few things that are familiar to your pet, such as a favourite blanket, feeding bowl and treats to help them be comfortable in unfamiliar surroundings
    * Pets tend to drink more water while travelling so be sure to have plenty available
    * If you are leaving your pet alone in a hotel room, place a Do Not Disturb sign on the door and inform reception staff

For details of the Travelodge pet policy, visit the help section.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:41:58 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat