Author Topic: IS this normal??  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: IS this normal??
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 18:28:23 PM »
Mine always gave me a copy printed dirtectly from the computer, didn't even have to ask in the end and if I forgot to take one and rang up they would send me a copy in the post with no problems.  Think your vet is being a bit mean  >:(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 18:25:26 PM »
I was told this too when I asked for Jaffa's test results but they said I could copy them down or they could photocopy them for without the heading (ie photocopy the page but covering up the top that had the details of the lab that did them).  Not sure exactly why but I would imagine it's something to do with the lab doing the tests at the request of the vet and not wanting printed copies of results with their details on in general circulation where they could be mis-interpreted.  You're entitled to make a note of all the results but I would try asking if they can photocopy the results sheet but omitting any details of the lab/surgery etc.  If they say no ask them why not.  It's much easier to have a copy of the printed results than have to copy them all out.  You could try asking them to copy them all out for you - they may get so fed up at writing them all down they just photocopy them in the end.  The person who photocopied mine ended up copying the whole page in the end  :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 18:12:21 PM »
In the case of humans it is so the doctor can explain to you in detail what the readings mean. Otherwise you might get someone finding out they had abnormal readings and panicking that they had something seriously wrong when it is only a minor deviation. It is also to protect the privacy of the patient.

With animals there is no excuse. My vet has always provided copies of the tests (and i have been through quite a few vets in my travels). Bit of a control freak your vet methinks. :P

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 14:00:29 PM »
It was the receptionist I Spoke to, but she checked with the vet.
Gillian - these are the tests done back in Feb, I am welcome to call in and look at them though, so shall do that at some point this week.
Will have to ask about the Free T4 test.

Oh, in that case I would definitely demand a copy - you have every right  :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 13:58:23 PM »
It was the receptionist I Spoke to, but she checked with the vet.
Gillian - these are the tests done back in Feb, I am welcome to call in and look at them though, so shall do that at some point this week.
Will have to ask about the Free T4 test.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 13:44:48 PM »
I rang the vets yesterday to see if I could get copies of Tiger's blood test results and was told that they aren't allowed to give them to the customers, only to other vets!!

Also, does anyone know if the 'Free T4' thyroid test is available over here, I have only heard of it on American forums?

That sounds ridiculous Desley, I've always been given copies of the results when I've asked - in fact my vet always does an extra copy for me now  ;D - but maybe they want to wait until they've discussed all the results with you first?

Don't know about the free T4 test here, like you, I've only heard about it from the US forums.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 13:04:53 PM »
Hi Desley - when Pad had his first lot of blood tests we had to wait and get them when we went in for his follow up appt, but after that they  normally phone just to let me know everything's okay.  Not sure about the free T4 test though

CC - think with human results they normally refuse to give them to anyone other than your GP, and I'm sure it's for the reasons you state - there are some very odd people out there!

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:31:35 AM »
When I phoned the hospital for my blood test results they said they can only give them to my doctor, so I had to get the doctor to phone then phone me with them  :shy: I think its to make sure they arnt giving them to someone else. Why someone else would want to phone for your results I dont know.  :-:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:12:17 AM »
That's outrageous!  You paid for them, you're entitled to see them although they may ask for an "admin" fee if you want copies to keep.

It's comparable to your GP telling you you can't see your own medical notes!! Be firm but polite.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:35:58 AM »
I rang the vets yesterday to see if I could get copies of Tiger's blood test results and was told that they aren't allowed to give them to the customers, only to other vets!!

:Crazy: :censored:

Who were you talking to? Was it the vet him/herself or the receptionist?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
IS this normal??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 07:49:52 AM »

Also, does anyone know if the 'Free T4' thyroid test is available over here, I have only heard of it on American forums?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat