Author Topic: Fleas can cause death - Don't let this be your pet  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Fleas can cause death - Don't let this be your pet
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 08:10:05 AM »
That is your choice, perhaps you could discuss tthis with your vet. All I can say is we have over the years dozens possibly hundreds of old cats in their late teens and twenties, all have been treated for fleas and worms on a regular basis.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 08:06:56 AM »
Thanks ela, but it's their age which concerns me most regarding deworming, as I believe that tapeworm treatment can be quite nasty. I don't want to upset my cats equilibrium and send them into decline.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 08:01:20 AM »
quote]Does anyone think my attitude is mistaken? If so, why? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)[[/quote]

You very often do not see worms until they are endemic. If you suspect your cat had a flea they they most certainly will have tapeworms and of course round worms and others are common and not always seen.

Even indoor cats need flea and worm treatments on a regular basis.

Perhaps you will care to read www.petplanet.co.uk/pests_worms_cats.asp
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 08:05:44 AM by Ela »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 07:55:51 AM »
Although I'm an experienced cat owner who regularly defleas with Frontline spot-on, I very rarely worm my cats. This is because they don't have pot bellies or wriggly things round their bums (which they show me every time they sit on my lap!). My reason for this is that they are very old (17 and 20 approx) and I don't like to stress them with too much medication. They are both very healthy for their ages.
Does anyone think my attitude is mistaken? If so, why? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)
It's not the hassle of giving pills which worries me (I'm good at that now), but the biological stress to their systems of having to deal with the worming pills.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
Should you do carpets and bedding as well on a regular basis? No-one has ever told me to do that

It is a good idea to spray once a year, Staykill from the vets or cheaper from the  on-line pharmacy lasts 1 year. Please remember if ordered from the on-line pharmacy that if you go onto their site via one of the links from one  of the sites shown on the Rescur Room ( found under Rainbow Bridge) that  rescue will get a small commission

Offline samginger97

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 10:58:22 AM »
I have indoor Cats too and I flee and worm regularly.

Should you do carpets and bedding as well on a regular basis? No-one has ever told me to do that? :-[

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 09:30:47 AM »
This just disgusting!!!  How can people let cats get that badly infested let alone having their homes that outrun................

You would be amazed how many people do not flea and worm, or if they do only when they see them, of course anyone with any sense knows that it is only when the problem is endemic that you do see them and sometimes then it is too late.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 09:12:45 AM »
This just disgusting!!!  How can people let cats get that badly infested let alone having their homes that outrun................

:scared:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 20:56:48 PM »
My cats are done every month will Frontline, just discovered Vet uk website and how cheap it is from there  ;D  have had no problems with fleas but do still spray the house with Staykill, expensive stuff but well worth it when you consider how often it is used.  My friend has four cats who are outdoor cats and im afraid I gave her quite a tongue lashing when she showed me all the bites she and her children had!!! I was not impressed, in the end I bought her a stock of Frontline but she had to have her local council come out and fumigate her house cos the infestation was soooo bad,,,Ewwwwww

Sonya
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 20:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the post Pete, very good info - I didn't actually read your title, but did guess after the white gums what the prob was. IT has also reminded me that mine are due next week and I have no stuff in, but am going to do them with Stronghold this month I think.
Please spay your cat

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 15:14:10 PM »
Ela, ignore me, i looked further down the screen and found the answer  :innocent:

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 15:06:24 PM »
And eggs can 'live' in the carpet and furniture, waiting to hatch  :sick:

I think a lot of people saw that tiny baby kitten on Animal Hospital with Rolf, that died due to being so riddled with fleas, so very sad and such a waste of a life.

Ela, i usually buy my frontline from VetUK, but what is this Rescue Room thing?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 14:39:51 PM »
I assumed I was told the right thing as I was told that as my cats dont have access to outdoors at all and as I live 4 floors up that I couldnt carry fleas that far

Fleas can get onto peoples clothing and get into the top floor of a tower block.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 14:22:06 PM »

I would kick that vet into touch, if they don't know the basic requirements what else don't they know.

I no longer go to the vets that told me that as they did various things to my cats and to my friends cats which I didnt feel was right. My current vets are great but I have to admit I have never asked them their opinion. I assumed I was told the right thing as I was told that as my cats dont have access to outdoors at all and as I live 4 floors up that I couldnt carry fleas that far and unless I was feeding them raw food worms wouldnt be a problem. Like I say the vacs are up to date because of the cattery but I currently only put flea stuff on before they go into a cattery ( and spray the beds before they come back in lol)
It does sound like Im still doing things wrong  :-[ Thank god for this forum
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 13:07:41 PM »
Have just discovered the joys of buying frontline spot-on online..........the joys of saving 50% rather than buying it from the Vets!!!

Please remember that if you purchase via a link from one of the web sites shown on  The Rescue Room, charities receive a small commission

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
I have to admit that my vet told me that my indoor cats didnt need flea, worm or jabs!!! They get jabs and flea stuff because they go into the cattery. I think they get wormed at the same time as the jabs but I dont know how often they should be done

Although I believe you it is very difficult to understand why a vet should say such a thing. Worming once is year is not enough depending what you use it should be 2, 3 or 4 times a year. again depending on what you use the  flea treatments  should be either every 4-5 weeks and some applications last 2 months. Injections are necessary as enteritis and cat flu are airborne. I would kick that vet into touch, if they don't know the basic requirements what else don't they know.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »
Have just discovered the joys of buying frontline spot-on online..........the joys of saving 50% rather than buying it from the Vets!!!

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »
Frontline spray is excellent, but a bit messy.  Our youngest kitten (Mia) came from a Rescue centre & had only been handed in a couple of hours before we arrived.  She & her brothers were crawling with fleas  :(.  Just before we arrived they had been treated with Frontline spray & they were a bit of a sticky mess.  However, the fleas dropped of her at some rate & we managed to comb out the balance at home.  Since then she has been flea free - thank goodness.  If you do go for spot on just make sure it is one from the vet.  We used one bought from a Pet Shop for our oldest kitten (Maddi) who came from a farm & had loads of fleas too.  The spot-on we bought was ineffective & we ended up asking the vet for something.  I think it was Advantage spot on he gave us, but whatever it was it certainly worked effectively too.  If you have a placid cat spray would be OK, but if it is a wriggler best go for spot-on  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
Have just combed my cats-not only was there a distinct lack of fleas, but I think I saw one dropping! So it's the Acclaim that isn't doing its job. Do you think I should contact the manufacterer?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 12:02:32 PM »
Can't give you an answer of that myself but can only tell you when I got my first kitten Indi  he was about 7/8 weeks old and he was covered in fleas to the extent that you could see them crawl across his white nose - disgusting how some people keep little helpless animals.  Anyway, took him to the vet the following day and he said it was one of the worst cases he'd even seen!!!  Mr Vet then got out the frontline spray and coated the little mite and you could see the fleas die and fall off almost immediately.  He and my friend then spent the night combing through his long fluff and ridding him or dead or dieing fleas...........ewwwwwwwwwwww

Repeat every 2 weeks for a short while until he was clear......then used drop-on after, never saw another flea on him

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »
Is the Frontline spray as effective as the spot ons? I tried the spot ons and have flead the house too. I found four new bites on my leg last night.....grrrr!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 10:47:31 AM »
I have to admit that my vet told me that my indoor cats didnt need flea, worm or jabs!!! They get jabs and flea stuff because they go into the cattery. I think they get wormed at the same time as the jabs but I dont know how often they should be done
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 20:17:11 PM »
Cat care is a never ending learning line

Absolutely, I know I learn something almost every day. It is also surprising how many people think that indoor cats do not need regular flea and worm treatments.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 20:12:48 PM »
Hi Ella,

That is why I mentioned it. I have to hold my hands up and say that I was unaware of that problem in kittens and puppies as I have experience of neither. However, I would have been extremely concerned if the gums were white and sought immediate veterinary attention

I didn't want other people to remain in ignorance as well. There is a tendency for some to automatically think that a small kitten is simply the runt of the litter when the problem may be rooted in an underlying cause which is easily treated.

Cat care is a never ending learning line  ;)
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 17:24:17 PM »
Sadly your story is almost an every day occurrence, and very dad. people just do not realize.

Also  someone took a kitten the vets who found it to be anemic and full of fleas. That kitten when they took it home had no fleas at all, what apparently happened was then once the kitten was let loose in the home, the fleas came out of the 'woodwork' and almost killed it. Fleas/their larvae can live a long time in crevices waiting for a host.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 16:59:29 PM »
Poor little poppet  :(
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 14:38:03 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Fleas can cause death - Don't let this be your pet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »
My vet has highlighted a problem that he recently encountered as a warning to others.  :-:

A 40 day-old kitten was brought to the surgery as he was half the size of his brothers and sisters. He was quiet and not eating much. Examination showed that he was dull, listless, dehydrated and his gums were paper white instead of a healthy pink. He had further tests and treatment as an in patient. The bloods showed him to be anaemic and his blood count was so low that he was lucky to be alive. (NB a healthy cat should havea  red blood cell count of between 27 and 47). This little guy had a reading of 4.5.

Microscopic examination of the blood cells showed an iron deficciency. The red blood cells were re-generating well. Liver disease and congenital illness were ruled out.

The little chap had a  blood transfusion, IV fluid therapy and given an antibiotic course and iron supplement. Despite that he was in a critical condition for 5 days.   :(Gradually he improved and went home to a thankful owner. :)

So why was he unwell?

Fleas.
Fleas feed on blood and in high number will cause anaemia. Puppies and kittens are most at risk but it can affect older cats and dogs.
Fleas can also cause skin conditions (flea allergy dermatitis) and help transmit tapeworms.

The cure

Flea prevention treatment - Frontline, Stronghold, etc. Many years ago it wasa seasonal problem but with most homes being well heated the little butter live through the winter. Year long prevention is necessary.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat