Author Topic: Oh no... life just got harder...  (Read 1639 times)

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
Re: Oh no... life just got harder...
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 18:10:45 PM »
the reason I know my two aren't the brightest gingers in the box is precisely because they haven't worked out how to open the doors  :evillaugh: (whilst most are kept open, I always keep the kitchen and bathroom doors closed 'cos of chemicals, ovens etc and sometimes we lock them in one room if we're going up into the loft for any reason or are having something delivered).

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 18:39:55 PM »
So finally, I managed to put all the pieces together.  :rofl:

In a way I'm quite relieved, I was starting to think I was losing my mind!  :Crazy:

there was Tabitha Jane looking distinctly self-conscious while using the loo. :rofl: :rofl:

OMG, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: How sweet - she was probably just trying to save you some money on cat litter. :)

The thing is, some cats even learn how to work the door handles once you're turned them... (Poppy's mother, for one!)

My parents once had a couple of kittens who worked out how to open the front door from outside - they got on the handrail on the porch, then leapt onto the door handle...

I've never heard of a cat that raided the fridge before, but mine are very interested in it, and certainly know what's kept in it. I really hope they never manage to open it...  :Crazy:

I keep trying to trick Poppy into showing me that she can open doors. Yeah - like a cat will let you trick her!  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 17:56:48 PM »
So finally, I managed to put all the pieces together.  :rofl:

In a way I'm quite relieved, I was starting to think I was losing my mind!  :Crazy:

They do it on purpose. I had a cat who used the people toilet. Took me months to work out what was happening. As I live alone, it was disconcerting to find evidence that someone had used the toilet when I got home from work, went on for months. Was getting really nervous about finding a stranger in the house if I got home after dark (live in isolated area to boot). Then one evening I am sitting in the loungeroom and hear someone going to the toilet. Quietly removed three cats from my lap, picked up the poker and snuck into the laundry and there was Tabitha Jane looking distinctly self-conscious while using the loo. :rofl: :rofl:

At the same period of time i had a burmese who had discovered how to flush the toilet so she could play with the running water. Sadly I never managed to convince them to coordinate their efforts.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 17:47:02 PM »
funnily enough cody used to last year leap and try to catch the door handle, im positive he managed a couple of times too but he doesnt do it anymore (phew) i did shout at him though (loudly LOL)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 17:20:23 PM »
Thankfully Max hasn't figured out doors yet, but he used to be a dab-hand at the fridge lol!  Had to wedge it shut with bricks to stop him getting in  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 17:17:32 PM »
Sounds like it's time to turn your door handles upside down and put child proof locks on your kitchen cupboards!  Mosi is a tinker with opening kitchen cupboards but so far he's not worked out how to open doors.  Mind you, I rarely shut doors so he doesn't need to.

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 16:09:05 PM »
:evillaugh:

Its when they learn how to steal keys and work ignitions that there's a problem   :tired:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Is it bad that I can almost imagine mine doing that?  :Crazy:

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 16:04:36 PM »
Well, since I haven't caught them in the act yet, I can't know for sure... Monkey is the evil genius around here, but he lacks Poppys height and weight!  :)

They are allowed pretty much everywhere, but I keep the bedroom closed during the day so I can have window open (no screen - and it turns into a sauna otherwise). And we have an "office", which is basically where we put anything that could be a cat hazard. A few days ago, I noticed that OH & I seemed to all of a sudden forget to close doors all the time... Doors always seemed to be ajar, with cats where they weren't supposed to be. But for the first day or two, I just put it down to forgetfulness. But after a few days, it seemed too much to be a coincident. Earlier today, I found that they had let themselves into the garden! (There are two doors leading out, I sometimes don't bother closing the proper garden door 'cos it's at the bottom of a steep scary staircase.) And I know for a fact that door had been closed. So finally, I managed to put all the pieces together.  :rofl:

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 15:50:18 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Its when they learn how to steal keys and work ignitions that there's a problem   :tired:
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 15:46:28 PM »
My money is on gorgeous Poppy! Miss Boopy's breeder had locks on all her doors due to the NFCs opening them otherwise!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
Oh no... life just got harder...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 15:44:34 PM »
... Monkey and/or Poppy finally learnt how to open doors...  :tired:

Well, to be honest, I'm surprised it's taken them this long! It was nice while it lasted, though...  :-:

Link to CatChat