Author Topic: Catnip seeds.  (Read 1823 times)

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
Re: Catnip seeds.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:13:04 PM »
honestly - I could have died on the spot!!!

He did laugh about it thought - AFTER he smelt it!!!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:10:45 PM »
at which point he found the king size rizla and the case of chocolate hobnobs next to the book shelf.  ;D

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »
Thats all to technical for me, what ever happened to "We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed" lol

Just bought some catnip seeds, lemon flavour (don't ask) will give it a go and lure every cat in the area into my garden. All getting stonned and mellowing out... Hope I don't get raided but the drug squad thinking I am growing weed  :Crazy:

Don't!! I had some dried catnip on the bookshelf recently, I have had a few problems with Neighbours recently and the Police came to take a statement, one of the Police Officers walked passed the bookcase and saw it - it was in a plastic sandwich bag, he looked at me, and I had to explain it was catnip. I have never been so embarrassed in all my life!! :rofl: :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:36:46 AM »
Thats all to technical for me, what ever happened to "We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed" lol

Just bought some catnip seeds, lemon flavour (don't ask) will give it a go and lure every cat in the area into my garden. All getting stonned and mellowing out... Hope I don't get raided but the drug squad thinking I am growing weed  :Crazy:

Johnson's Seeds do catnip seeds at £1.99 a packet, and you do get a fair bit in them. You should be able to find them in garden centres and hardware shops. I had enough to give me about 150 plants from two packets (they were BOGOF!), most of which have gone to my local branch of CP for their stall and are apparently selling like the proverbial hotcakes. I've kept a dozen plants for my own use and passed some onto friends as well.

Catnip seeds take around a month to come up. Sprinkle them on the top of a pot of compost and then cover with a thin layer of the same - don't plant them too deeply. Catnip needs to be propagated in a warm place as if it's too cold, they won't come up. So a warm windowsill or a sunny patio is a MUST, and it helps to cover the pot or seed tray with a sheet of glass or perspex to keep the heat in i.e. minature greenhouse. If you've got a heated propagator, then use that. I have a heated greenhouse, mind... ;)

Seedlings need to be kept moist, but not wet. Once they've sprouted, they'll get going pretty quickly - the plants I *did* get from my first sowing are already flowering! Ideally you do want to sow the seeds around March time, I think it's probably a little on the late side now.

However once you've got catnip plants, they can be propagated further by either root cuttings or layering.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »
That's great thank you Reynard.

I have them in a huge pot, but will do as advised a put a sheet of glass over the top. I live under the Heathrow flighpath, so we also have secondary glazing, so will put the pot in between the windows -0 that should get them going!

I have just sprayed them lightly over with water with a spray pump. I am like a kid!! too impatient! ;D

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »
Johnson's Seeds do catnip seeds at £1.99 a packet, and you do get a fair bit in them. You should be able to find them in garden centres and hardware shops. I had enough to give me about 150 plants from two packets (they were BOGOF!), most of which have gone to my local branch of CP for their stall and are apparently selling like the proverbial hotcakes. I've kept a dozen plants for my own use and passed some onto friends as well.

Catnip seeds take around a month to come up. Sprinkle them on the top of a pot of compost and then cover with a thin layer of the same - don't plant them too deeply. Catnip needs to be propagated in a warm place as if it's too cold, they won't come up. So a warm windowsill or a sunny patio is a MUST, and it helps to cover the pot or seed tray with a sheet of glass or perspex to keep the heat in i.e. minature greenhouse. If you've got a heated propagator, then use that. I have a heated greenhouse, mind... ;)

Seedlings need to be kept moist, but not wet. Once they've sprouted, they'll get going pretty quickly - the plants I *did* get from my first sowing are already flowering! Ideally you do want to sow the seeds around March time, I think it's probably a little on the late side now.

However once you've got catnip plants, they can be propagated further by either root cuttings or layering.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
where did you get the seeds from?
can you post the link.

Cheers

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »
Without checking, I'm not too sure about catnip, but some seeds germinate better in the dark, in which case it would be best to put a sheet of newspaper over the glass. Keep them in the warm, and keep them moist, but not cold.

Be patient. Once they start coming up, they'll grow like crazy.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
Catnip seeds.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:59:56 AM »
I have recently bought some catnip seeds. I have put them in a large pot in the sun, but out of Rosie's reach. How long does it take before they start to sprout? I have planted them accaording to the instructions, but still have a pot of mud! :rofl:

I also bought regular cat grass, which is fantastic stuff, that shoots up within a couple of days.

Link to CatChat