Author Topic: My cat meows ALL the time  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
Re: My cat meows ALL the time
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 17:42:33 PM »
Chester sounds fab look forward to seeing his piccy. My boy Dylan talks all the time, he even talks back to you if you ask him if he's alright. He was one of our CP branch's cats and he'd been with us quite a while but nobody wanted him (Awww) so I ended off taking him and his foster mum said "He's really quiet you'll never notice he's there" needless to say he hasn't shut up since and I've had him 3 years  :rofl: I think Chester just wants you to know he's there and he loves you.

Offline jelly_penguin

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 17:09:07 PM »
i dont have any pics at the moment but i will be able too get some soon he is such a cute little guy... well when i say little i mean a bit chubby  :)

when im on my computer he also has the habit of jumping on the desk and giving me head loves.

it is very cute but sometimes very annoying when im trying to do something important ...... but i just cant resist and start giving him wat he wants a cuddle  :)

Offline Maggie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 16:08:56 PM »
Uh-oh! :) :) :)
It sounds like you are headed towards slave-dom!
Do you have any pics of Chester? I would like to see this cheeky little guy!

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 16:07:24 PM »
My sister's cat Sooty meowed ALL the time too, wanting fuss constantly. If there was no-one home he used to sit outside and mug passing strangers. He did at least vary his tone though - one of my friends' cats used to meow constantly, barely drawing breath in between, and it was all the same word and the same tone.... boy did it wear you down...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline jelly_penguin

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 15:58:56 PM »
thanks guys i am very grate ful for ur advice  ;D

i have only had chester for about 3 months so i dont know if he has been meowing before... but from what he tells me i think he has  :)

when i pick him up or stroke/brush him he stops meowing.

i dont know if he wants attention but its not like he doesnt get any..... i brush him twice a day and i always give him a cuddle.

he is definatly a indoor cat as when i open the door for him to go outside he is like 'u must be jokin if u think im going out there'  :innocent:

anyway  :thanks: for all ur advice and if u have more plz tell me as it does help alot  ;D

Offline brena

• Adult Cat
    • physhc  chihuahua's and crazy cats
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 17:49:17 PM »
when voodoo was an only cat he used to walk around yelling all the time. he stopped when angie moved in. i also took in a stray (we called her raven) she would meow constantly. we took raven to the vet and she was given a clean bill of health. she lives with a friend of mine now because she didn't get along with my cats and she still has alot to say. i think some cats just like to make noise. if your cat only just started to do this though i would have to go to the vet just to be sure all is well.
devoted servant to 10 cats and 5 chihuahuas

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 16:56:57 PM »
Hi

My Shadow was very vocal, always meowing it was just the way he was, as he came thro' the cat flap he was meowwing!!  We always answered him, think he just loved to make a racket!!

I admit on occasions it used to get on my nerves , but now Shadow has died,(RTA :-[)
 I miss it so much, the house is so quiet, as Ziggy my other cat is not at all vocal.

I'd do anything to have the meowing again!

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 12:15:55 PM »
Hi Jelly Penguin,

I also have a very vocal cat, Kiki never shuts up.

It isn't even a miaow its kind if a whiging quack/baa!

It used to bother me because i thought she was unhappy but i think she is just checking where i am, and telling me any gossip! She answers me when i ask her a question!

It can get on your nerves when its 3 in the morning and she is still going strong but we've just got used to it now!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »
Willow talks to me all the time - has your cat got any Burmese? - I read it was one of their traits, along with climbing up your leg to :catlove: be picked up
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
Hmmmm not sure if youre going to like my answer but Mogs used to 'talk' to me all the time. It was a constant noise and drove me crazy. Theres nothing wrong with her she just likes to talk and know shes not alone. She only talks nowadays when I talk to her or if she wants food etc.

The cure????????????

Amber moved in   :rofl:

Sorry but on the serious side Mogs was an indoor cat and always seemed totally happy alone especially as Id picked her because the rescue said she should be an only cat. The change in her since Amber is amazing she does more 'cat'y things and doesnt mither me all the time.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense the phone rang and I forgot what I was saying lol
love
Tab

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 10:15:23 AM »
My boy Max is very vocal too - some days more than others, its just the way he is.

However, if your cat has only recently started miawing more, then maybe a check-up at the vets is in order, just to make sure there are no underlying problems.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Maggie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 02:14:19 AM »
Oh my, I feel your pain, Jelly_Penguin!  My boy Gus meows all the time too...when there's no food...when he's just eaten...when he wants out...when he doesn't want out...etc, etc.  His hearing is fine, too, he's been vocal since he was a wee kitten, and he's 6 years old now.  If your kitty has been this way all his life, I don't think there's much to do about it! (and believe me, telling him you're tired of hearing his voice won't work! :rofl:)

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 01:49:44 AM »

I have to reply this because mine meow all the time :-) Charlie looks retarded and particularly, he has a big head and a small and skinny body (health reason) He runs upstairs with me and he slipped once. He jumped to my shoulders and I walked upstairs and downstairs. He lifts his feet when lying his back on my chest. He eats, sleeps, purrs and meows! (he cant even poo!)  :rofl: He walks and twiches his head. Once I gorgot to open the conservatory, he pee by my foot. He only knows how to get in the house via the catflap but not how to get in. Took him back from the vet after he had an enema, he ate and then got in the basket  :rofl:

Baxter meows a lot too and he was pummelling my stomach when I was in bed last night. He must have fallen asleep and he felt down.

Okay, be serious for a moment. Check his hearing... Also bear in mind that some breeds are very vocal. I think Siamese, Tonkinese and Havana Brown are quite vocal. They also tend to use their paws more than their noes.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 22:51:11 PM »
PMSL!   :rofl:

Ah I'm off to bed now, but that just got me going again! Iain, you have to give little Sid credit though. He's smart enough to know where home is and that he is a cute boy and can get you twisted around his little paw no? :clap:

Jelly, if you're worried, a visit to the vet may aleviate any worry you have. My Lexy maiows at everything and me all the time, and she's just talking to me, and if I answer her she stops, satisfied she's been given a reply....or I tell myself that..who knows what she's saying...probably, hey you ol bag get me some treats, scratch my head and don't bother me when I'm sleeping!

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 22:32:22 PM »
Oh yes and vet of course. I work on the basis that whatever good advice I get on here any unusual behaviour or lumpy bits and they go straight to the experts.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 22:31:49 PM »
Jelly I know you are new here so pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee dont be offended by Mr McT,,,,,,,,,,he is our resident comedian and very funny  :rofl:

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 22:28:56 PM »
Has he always mieowed? If so really don't think you need to worry. He might be slightly simple or retarded. Don't mean to cause offence but my boy cat Sid is a bit simple. Hew mieows constantly to himself. Just walks around mieowing. He also likes fighting, sleeping and eating. He panics if he goes more than two hours without eating unless he's asleep dreaming about food. He attacks me if I stop stroking him or don't start stroking him. He can get himself lost just 100 yards from the house for up to a week. In fact I've got a deep claw wound in the back of my neck at the moment. A couple of days ago because I didn't give him the attention he wanted he decided to run up the back of my body, over my head and landed on the laptop keyboard. It was working fine with momentum and clothing but when he reached my neck and equally hairless head he realised deep claw penetration was required to avoid gravity. It worked well except I was bleeding for a couple of hours. Further proof of his simpletoness is that I often call him "bad dog" and he doesn't seem to realise he's not a dog. He's currently sprawled out asleep on my bed. He's usually out now so I can only assume he has a pre arranged fight set up for later tonight. If he wasn't the cutest boy cat in the world he'd be straight in a sack. The Thames is only a hundred yards away and rising by every minute of global warming. And incoming tide.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 22:23:48 PM »
First thing, check if he can hear. Get behind hin quietly and clap hands or rustle a bag and he should at least twitch his ears.

If you are getting no reaction try something witb a higher frequency and if still none get the vet to check his ears out.

Have you checked him over to see if he is in pain anywhere?

Only other thing I can think of is to get him checked out by a vet cos if this is a new thing, then something is causing it.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 21:39:37 PM »
Doh ... I just saw how old he is ... 5!!!

I can't really offer any advice I'm afraid.  But I'm sure someone will be able offer some pearls of wisdom.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 21:37:40 PM »
He is talking to you.  Do you answer him when he miows at you?

How old is he?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline jelly_penguin

• Kitten
My cat meows ALL the time
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 20:27:11 PM »
My cat chester is 5 years old and he meows ALL the time. Even when hes got food he meows. Hes not an outdoor cat as he doesnt like going outside and i play with him reguarly. I dont know why he does this and it is worrying me slighty.

plz help

:scared:

Link to CatChat