Author Topic: Rehoming kittens to senior people your opinions pls  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Re: Rehoming kittens to senior people your opinions pls
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 18:44:53 PM »
All interesting stuff and although this particular lady never got back to me, i suppose she just went and brought one!
However, i do agree there is a cat for everyone out there, just not the cat they may think of getting... I would of said no to this lady for a  kitten but would of suggested another cat in our care... but she just wasnot interested...

Anyhows, i am glad my thought are liike everyone else and its not me being horrid!!  But we have to be sensible at these things.. I had a lday ring me the other day who had lost a cat to the main rd outside her house.. He was 2yrs old and a rescue puss. She admitted the rd was busy to me. Anyhows because she was outside our area, i said we could only rehome if another organisation could do homecheck, she then told me that she had been turned down by the org that she originally got the cat that got run over from.. Thus not sure why we would be any different.by saying yes.. I spent another 20mintues on the phone discussing adopting an elderly cat who probably would be better suited to such an area rather then a kitten, and what would her feelings be if in 2yrs time any new cat got run over.. She agreed, but didnt change her mind.. We left it that i would get someone to check the location out and get to back to her.. Today she left message on phone to say she went and brought one!! Some you loose and some you don't... The road is very busy and nr a roundabout, as well. Although her other cat 10yrs plus has lived there with no problems with the road, he new cat was a wondering tom (who was done), but stilll young and thus it was only a matter of time.. Esp when she used to let him out at night. 

Until i mentioned about HC she was fine but eventually told me why she was turned out this time because of the main rd outside her house... I would of said no to kittens but not to an cat that probably had some sense or even a indoor cat..

She was however an great animal lover but just didnt see the bigger picture.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 17:54:57 PM »
Interesting subject. True, an 80 year old may outlive a kitten but the law of averages says they won't. Also, in the course of my studies [student nurse], I've had alot of experience with elderly people who were fine, then took an unexpected tumble and had their life changed completely...I'm sorry, this is getting a bit depressing...but you get the idea.

I have heard from a CP homechecker that she visited an elderly lady who wanted to adopt a cat [obviously] and that she'd turned her down because of her age; that, I can't see any reason for - surely it would have been possible to do a bit of matchmaking? I'm sure a puss of maturity and distinction could have been found in that instance.   

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 17:39:35 PM »
I wouldn't home kittens with an old person though would assess on an individual basis.
Too much danger of being trodden on/tripping up and to be honest people forget what kittens are like.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 16:49:30 PM »
I agree with Beanie about not putting an age to it, there was an 89 year old on tv the other day riding some kind of marathon cycle race  :Crazy:

I can understand why they want a kitten tho, many old people wouldnt cope with losing family or a much loved pet, so they think if they get a kitten they wont have to lose it. It brings out the fear of their own mortality i guess.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 16:41:18 PM »
I'm rather glad that this question has been raised. May I firstly say that i don't actually rehome rescue cats but support rescues that do. I know local views on the subject which I largely agree with.

As always the cat's short and long term welfare has to come first. As a general rule of thumb I would not re-home kittens with elderly. folk. I don't think you should put an age on the word elderly or you risk boxing yourself into a corner. Common sense should prevail. My first thought when I have heard that an elderly person insists on a kitten and won't budge and either won't understand or refuse to listen to the reasons why is that the cat's welfare is not of paramount importance to that person.

Having said that you have to weigh up other circumstances - health (mental and physical), ability to care for the cat, living alone or with family, family views, etc. I am aware that many families do not want their  elderly realtives to have a cat let alone kitten. This can be difficult but it does show that should the person die, the relatives would probably not care for the animal which will end up needing to be re-homed.

So I would start from the basis of 'No'. In the case you mention where the lady says that 2 is too old and won't listen to reason, do you really want to home any cat to her? Her opinion is more centred around I want rather than looking at the realities or looking at it from the cat's point of view.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 15:43:39 PM »
lindy - we can't assume any home is going to be a permanent one, none of us know when our time is up. WE have just taken in some cats from a person who is struggling with litter trays due to a health issue, and she isn't even retirement age yet, so things like that aren't just for elderly people.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 14:15:55 PM »
Lindy I think you are being a bit harsh and all people should be considered depending on their circumstances.

You are making all kinds of assumptions about people and that should not be the case unless you have met them

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 14:13:31 PM »
I think everyones made some good points. The only things I would add is that a retired person woul probably be at home more to play with a kitten and if its awake all night they can sleep in the day.
Apart from that I would be tempted to either give a cinnamon trust leaflet at the adoption or have a clause saying that if anything happened the cat must come back to you for re homing but obviously that can be more work for you.
In the end I think it depends on the person
love
Tab

Offline Lindyloo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 13:35:08 PM »
I don't home kittens with very elderly people because quite honestly the chances are that it will not be a permanent home. Either the person will die or become incapable and have to go into a home/live with relatives.
If someone of 80 cannot see that they are being unreasonable I definitely would not consider them. As an animal rescuer I put the welfare of the animal first not give in to peoples whims and wishes.
Also I am afraid most people cannot cope aswell as they get older they get upset easily and minor things worry them.
I have taken in kittens from people because they could not bend down to clean out the litter tray.(so they said) Also the kitten could cause a fall if the person is unsteady on their feet.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 13:12:14 PM »
I think it would be too much hard work for most older peaople. My mum is used to living alone since my dad died and she mopans about her 18 month old  riping wallpaer & running up curtains. I'm sure an older more placid cat would be better company anyway?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »
why won't the woman look at the 2 year old?  a 2 year old cat is NOT OLD >:( 

Hearing stories of the kittens on here keeping people awake and bouncing on them I think I'd go for an adult cat next time :rofl:

I seem to have trouble remembering my cats as kittens,but then I was only 13 and 20 at the time 8)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 09:59:09 AM »
IT is a tricky one, we have homed to older people, but they have been young adults, I personally wouldn't home a kitten to an elderly person, and when we have homed to older people, it is either on the condition there is someone close that can take the cat on (ie we homed to a 90 yo, but her carer was willing to make sure cat had food, litter, vet care and a home if something happened), or we are contacted if something happens
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 08:44:55 AM »
i dont think helen or susanne will mind me saying they aint old, but they do find their kittens tiring since they wake them up all through the night!!!

Quite!

I agree that it's a difficult one and much depends on the individual concerned.  My mum has a freind who is now in her late 80's (might even be in her 90s now, I forget her exact age) and you'd never guess it as she's much more sprightly than my mum who is a good 10 years younger.  She has no mobility difficlties, although I guess she's probably a little slower than when she was younger.  She probably would have coped with a kitten 10 years ago no problem. But kittens are hard work for anyone and in general are probably not a good idea for older people.  But then again, Jaffa is 10 and he gets under my feet as much as Mosi!  I suppose the best scenario is to go with an adult cat as then you know the personality a bit more.  Jaffa is purebred moggy  ;) and there was no way of really knowing at 8 weeks (when I got him) that he was going to grow up to be such a lively cat with the activity level and demanding nature of the foreign/oriental type pedigree breeds.  At 10 he's livelier than many 2 year olds.  With an adult cat it's easier to select a cat with an appropriate temperament and choose one that is a bit more docle for an older person.

With someone who seems fit and active I suppose a kitten would be ok but it would be necessary to discuss potential issues with the person, as if they've not had a kitten recently it's easy to forget how hard work they can be.  It's also possible that many older people who may have had a kitten in the past are thinking that the kitten will go outdoors from an early age, not realising that these days it's recommended to keep them indoors until after neutering at least, so that's 6 months that they will need to be kept indoors and entertained.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »
I agree each case needs to be assessed individually. Some elderly people are active, others not so. But, as we age our peripheral vision goes so tripping over, or accidentally treading on a kitten is a real risk. A bad fall can lead to broken hips/pneumonia/death, so the cat loses its owner. Against all advice my mother adopted a kitten age 70. It was already apparent to us (but not our mother) that she would be needing supported care in the not too distant future. Maddy is now living with my sister and a lot happier cat than she was when with mum. If someone is being as stubborn as this old witch I would suggest she comes and meets all the cats on offer. If she can not be bothered making the necessary arrangements then she is probably not going to make a good bet as a re-homing person anyway.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 07:13:36 AM »
My one and only kitten was taken on by me when I was 28 and she drove me NUTS! Was so glad when she grew up. If I was reading, she wanted to play, if I was writing a shopping list, she'd try to catch the end of the pencil. At night she made suspicious scuffling noises which kept me awake. Never again would I have a kitten. Cute, but a handful! And all the litter-training too!

I'm not a rescue peep, but I can't imagine an 80year old could cope with a kitten and its demands. Surely someone of that age needs a sedate, companion cat which is easy to care for (feeding, vets when ill, and cuddles)! Ideally a cat over the age of 5 would be more suitable imo.

I just don't get why people prefer the hassle of kittens. They're cute, but such a hassle. Give me an older cat any day.

Maybe it might be a good idea to spell out what kittens involve, and ask what she wants the cat for. 2yrs old is barely adult, and could have another 18years ahead of it.

Rant.....
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 23:30:56 PM »
You know I 25 Dawn  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Yeah, like I'm 21  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 23:30:11 PM »
You know I 25 Dawn  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Yes I agree the people should be judged individually.  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 23:26:58 PM »
What age is elderly Dawn?

Why, how old are you Gill  :evillaugh:  It has to depend on the person obviously, you get spritely older peeps but you also get some of the same age that can hardly walk.......I rehomed TC and Lucy to a couple who were retired, must have been late 60's, early 70's and I had no worries whatsoever about them as they had a young outlook and were very active.  You have to base it on the person asking, I don't think you could give an age but I think an 80 year old, unsteady on their legs, I would not let them have a kitten.  I think unless you have kittens, you forget how much hard work they are........I love kittens but by christ, I am glad when I get homes for them ;)  Blake and Elvis are only youngsters, about 6 months old I'd say, and they are so demanding, they follow me everywhere and have to be involved in everything, for an elderly person, these two wouldn't be suitable.

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 23:24:30 PM »
The lady told me she had restricted eyesight and couldnt drive, so i doubt she was that active, but good points. Actually recently retired i wouldnt have any qualms rehoming with, just she sounded abit frail..

I recently rehomed a 12 yrs old cat to a 80yrs old couple, who tell me that he has changed their lives for the better, companionship and lap.. Funny thing is that i think that particular cat i named Asterix came in at such the right time, those two were made for each other. He is in Cat Heaven and they adore him as well.. I wish all people would see sense sometime!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 23:19:55 PM »
The thing is if she bothered to see Beauty i am sure she would fall in love with her, but she is adament that a 2yr old cat is too old!!!

Many occasions i have talked to the people and convinced them that an older cat is better and they have replied to me in the past when they took the chance that it was the right decision, but i do get the feeling that some people think what an earth am i telling them what they can do when they are twice or even more years older them me!!! But then i try not to partronise but at least give some common sense!!

If they do go out and get a kitten or buy one, i suppose its not on my conscience. Perhaps if they had help and assistance should they run into difficulties but how do you aks that to start with.  Really difficult, i can tell you!! Not as though i do not doubt they are lovely homes, just not the right home for those kittens...

Oh my judgement calls sometimes, either we are right or wrong. can never ever please everybody..

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 23:19:29 PM »
A retired person prob doesnt have a problem with the sleep issue  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 23:18:20 PM »
As a 29yr old who has recently adopted two kittens I would say, in general, No...  I think if the person were assessed on merit then that would be better, as an example my Mum is 64, she still goes horse riding, rock climbing, kayaking - she is more active than me so it is hard to generalise.

Kittens really are hard work, I am constantly stumbling over one of them and because I have my balance still I don't fall over but could see them upending a senior person no questions asked.  I think you would also have to consider what would happen if the owner passed away before the kitten, what arrangements would be made.  I know you could say that people can pass away at any age but obviously it is more likely the older you are.  There's also the lack of sleep issue and relentless naughtiness, I'm wondering how an elderly person might cope with this.  It's not all doom and gloom and I wouldn't swap the boys for the world but the reality is kittens are hard work, moreso if you only had one I would imagine.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 23:16:34 PM »
What age is elderly Dawn?

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 23:16:03 PM »
seems a bloomin tough question.   i would agree kittens are a handful....  i dont think helen or susanne will mind me saying they aint old, but they do find their kittens tiring since they wake them up all through the night!!!  thankfully my jasper aint too bad in that way  ;D
i have myself nearly fallen over him about 3 times today as he's just been in a crazy mood.  i could stop myself falling, wouldnt be sure older people not too stable could though.  tricky.  i reckon i'd tend to side with you  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 23:13:47 PM »
This is a tricky one and I understand where you are coming from.  I have rehomed to older peeps but who are steady on their feet, etc etc but never young kittens.......I think I too would draw a line at that.  I've rehomed youngish cats but I've insisted they leave my number by the phone just in case, god forbid, anything happens.  I would stick to your decision.......kittens are hard work and they can be a hazard to someone who isn't too good on their feet, and then you've got some kittens that insist on running up your legs etc etc, I don't think the elderly and a kitten are a good combination, an older cat would be a much better proposition.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 23:08:21 PM »
Very difficult and it depends what age you are calling old.

Certainly at 80 I think maybe an older cat would be better simply cos like you said they are so active.

Of course an 80 yr old may live to 100 and out live the kitten, dont know what the answer is and there is no tactful way of saying what arrangements have you made for your cats if they were to outlive you.

• Super Cat
Rehoming kittens to senior people your opinions pls
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 23:04:55 PM »
Hello all
Just a posting before i go to bed, have to pack for hols this weekend as well.

We are bursting with kittens but i do get calls from senior people who want to adopt kittens..Don't know what but i try to convince them that its not such a good idea, not only costs but kittens are like young kids and hard work, and can trip and elderly person over.  Am i being abit over protective and maybe Ageism into the equation.. ? Besides the point that puss may outlive them, i had a 80yr old on the phone today, and depsite all that i said i still think she will go down the road and buy a kitten if we dont rehome one.. I tried to get  her interested in Beauty a lovely adult female around 2yrs old as a alternative, but she dosent even want to see her.. The lady told me she was dodgy on her feet, i tell  you heart and head ruling is sometimes hard to get over.. I generally try not to rehome kittens to really young families with babies, but its flexiable and depends on the circumstances.  Perhaps it just me!  But my head tells me that its probably not a good idea.

So what do you other rescue rehoming say or do?

Although i would love to rehome all our kittens they are costing us alot in vet bills, i just dont rehome for the sake of it, common sense is a issue and finding lovely homes is another.. So lovely home but elderly people, whats the difference...

Link to CatChat