Author Topic: Just found out my OH doesn't want another cat - ever!  (Read 5012 times)

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Just found out my OH doesn't want another cat - ever!
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2007, 20:13:02 PM »
well when we got moomin our 1st cat , the ho wasnt fussed
then he let me have mango
and said NO more , he doesnt dislikes cats he just doents want anymore

anyway he agreed in dec that i could have a ragdoll that i wanted to  show when we got in the new house
we are in the new house and he has kept his word and took me to see 4 breeders each with 2 hours travellingime and sat with me while i have been speeking to breeders and at the weekend he drove us to scotland to see my raggie and put a deposit on it . He asked loads of questions and even got on the floor to play with kittens and had a old one curled up on his knee
I am so greatefull to him because although he doenst share my passion he has really tried and is taking me back to pick my baby  up ,in 3 wk  :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2007, 13:03:07 PM »
yep in every household i have belonged to meow means get me food now ... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2007, 13:00:43 PM »
Come to think of it...I thought I was training basil to meow if he wanted a treat, he probable sees it as "oh, she's getting the hang of it now...that's it...when I meow, you give me my treat!"  :doh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2007, 12:52:21 PM »
on reflection, you may have a point. Even now in a temporarily cat-free zone, i have substituted my laptop computer as a warm occupant of my lap on a long sunday afternoon... and I thought I spent so much time sitting around because I was lazy - nope, it's just that I am accustomed to considering my cats' needs...

Sad but true I think..

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 12:45:35 PM »
I have managed to train some of mine at times of my life I have had the leisure to do so...

Ah - you think you've trained them but in reality they've probably trained you to train them - that way they get extra treats and cuddles for doing stuff they were prepared to do anyway  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2007, 12:27:02 PM »
No not defeatist, realistic, cats know they are the boss and I was originally trained by a cat.................................thats why I walk on all fours and have a tail  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
So do mine and also you cant train a cat, the cat does the training  :shify: :shify:

Well that's maybe a little defeatist. I have managed to train some of mine at times of my life I have had the leisure to do so...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2007, 12:13:04 PM »
So do mine and also you cant train a cat, the cat does the training  :shify: :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2007, 06:08:44 AM »
I hope you can read the writing on this tee-shirt.

Mine hate it when I am on the phone!!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007, 04:29:12 AM »
 I hope you can read the writing on this tee-shirt.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 12:16:34 PM »
You definately have the wrong man then :rofl:

Mind you though if its between chocolate and my OH chocolate wins hands down :rofl:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 10:59:15 AM »
Good suggestion but then I'd have to have lots of sex and at the moment I'd prefer a nice cup of tea and a digestive  :devil:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »
 :thanks:

I hate it when I vaguely know something. No good with names.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 07:38:34 AM »
If I had my library with me I could tell you but I think it was Lysistrata and the author of the play escapes me.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 07:35:01 AM »
I don't have a steady OH, just lots of dates. I make it plain that I'm into cats in a BIG WAY, and they come with the territory. If a relationship begins, they either tire of my devotion to my moggies, or accept it. Love me, love my cats!

Lilycat, why don't you begin a sneaky campaign plan. The sex starvation works with most men, provided you get them really into it in the first place. Why don't you make your love life with him more exciting (buy a few books on the subject, but don't let him know)?

Then, if the time comes, the sex strike will really hurt him! I did this in a past relationship, when the AIDS crisis first began, as my OH at the time wouldn't wear condoms - so I went on strike till he got so frustrated that he gave in!

Didn't a group of ancient Greek women (any classical scholars on site?) manage to stop a war by depriving their men?

:catlove: :mad2: :drool; :bath:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 00:31:26 AM »
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: I thought you meant my OH then, I was going to say he's not THAT bad  ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 00:05:18 AM »
To avoid confusion, my comment btw was really aimed towards Alex's sister's OH, not Lilycat's OH. No offence intended to anyone but, just how I am.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 23:57:51 PM »
Hi Blackcat,

I belong to 2 Blackcats + another into the 2nd round of comp  :Luv: + OH originally just a dog lover

so not so surprising; I agree with you  ;)

I could not share my home with a  :censored: who had no room in his heart for animals. NEVER.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 20:48:52 PM »
Lilycat
I wouldn`t worry in the least. Many years ago when our old dog died my husband forbid me to get another animal ever; I waited 9months then rescued a dog,then another and another; in the last 18years I have had the pleasure of being mum to over 4000 animals; as for my husband he loves them as much as I do.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 20:06:36 PM »
Well, his reason for not wanting any more cats is that they wreck everything, what with scratching etc. I did point out that even if we had a dog from it was a puppy, it could quite easily have a bonkers half hour while we were out and tear up the place  :doh:. I speak from experience.

Granted, they do scratch the furniture a bit but the pleasure I get from them outweighs a piece of furniture.

We'll see what happens...I hope I keep the ones I have for a good long time yet, they're only 9 years old - spring chickens practically  :Luv: and when the time comes, if I do get another kitty, he can like it or lump it I'm afraid  :na na naa na: 

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 18:23:54 PM »
There are some strange people in the world. RSPCA has a theory that people who are cruel to animals may go on to do something nasty to people. My own theory is the people who do not like animals clearly have some sort of deep underlying dislike of other people. So, for littlekitten Alex, I would worry about your sister's long-term relationship. Personally I would not go out with someone who mistreated or showed active dislike for my animals. Probably why I am an old maid....

As for your present dliemma, he says it now, but in the heartbreak and grief that inevitably results from the loss of a loved kitty, he may find it more difficult to be staunch. So go out there girl and get another while he is still vulnerable.  :evillaugh:He can get his puppy and they can grow up together. Nothing cosier than a dog and cat who have grown into each other's skins....

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 18:17:58 PM »
That's a shame, but I agree best not to worry too much about it now.  When the time comes you can always threaten all sorts to get your own way!  If he wants a dog he may need to accept that compromise is the name of the game and that cats and dogs can live together.

Just out of interest, did he say why he didn't want a cat?  I mean, it's fair enough to not be overly keen on cats or to not want one when you've never had one, but a bit different when you already have them to specifically say you definitely don't want to get any more when you no longer have those ones.  Is there some aspects of your cats that he really dislikes?

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 17:54:49 PM »
Sex ban?? It's never worked in the past  :rofl:

Still, if worst comes to worst, I can always get a different boyfriend  :heeee heeee:

:thanks: for cheering me up - like you said, he may change his mind [or... I've got plenty of time to change it for him]  :evillaugh: 

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 17:30:22 PM »
I'm always threatening to kill the ginger Tom cat that beats up all the neigbourhood cats  :evillaugh:  I'm sure I don't really mean it though !? ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 17:05:59 PM »
I only said the other day when willow offended yet again that I will not be getting any more - of course that's complete rubbish  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 16:55:40 PM »
Its a shame he doesn't want any more cats but he can hardly prevent you having cats if he wants a dog. I would say stick to your guns . he can have a dog but you need your cat/s otherwise its not fair.
 ;D

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 16:05:03 PM »
Like somebody else said don't worry until the time comes,things have a habit of working out so don't worry.

If he continues to be stubborn then put a sex ban in place,he'd soon give in :rofl:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 15:48:27 PM »
I can't imagine someone hating ALL animals - I'd find someone like that hard, if not impossible, to warm to.

You know Alex, I couldn't have a farm - I'd end up being the local curiosity, you know, taking chickens to the vet...all my animals would die of old age and the cows would all have names like Bluebell and Buttercup  :rofl:  :Luv:

Plus, I'm soft and I'd be taking in all the animals no-one wanted; three legged sheep and the like  :)

Mind you, I'd love every minute  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 15:47:39 PM »
I know I'd find it very difficult to relate to anyone who hated animals ....... it would make me wonder what sort of human being they were ?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 15:31:21 PM »
I feel for you, and although I want to tell you not to worry about it, I know I would if it were me!

One of my sisters is in an even worse situation than you. She adores pretty much all animals, in particular cats, dogs and horses. For the past few years, she has been with a guy (whom she's now living with) who is really great - except he hates animals. Before I met him, I didn't think there could be people who hated animals. I could accept that some people aren't crazy about them like I am (and everyone here!), but I couldn't seriously believe that someone could detest all animals - the cute, the scary, the impressive... all of them. Until I met this guy. At least he's been very upfront about it all along... but I don't understand how my sister can put up with not being able to have any animals, ever (for as long as the relationshop lasts, but it seems pretty solid!). She's always planned to have cats and dogs and more once she was living in a suitable home, but now she's had to give up on that idea. We all thought that after a couple of years or so, he'd give in and they'd at least get one cat... and then take it from there.  ;) But that didn't happen.

I know I couldn't live without animals (cats in particular, of course), fortunately my OH likes most animals (and even if he didn't, he'd do anything for me, so he'd let me have them anyway ;D ). In my future, I see dogs, chickens, horses, sheep, maybe a couple of alpacas, and I'd love some cows... and that's just for starters.  :rofl: Of course, cats are in a class above all animals, though...

Looking on the bright side, if we did ever split up for any reason, he'd obviously be ok about leaving them all with me. 
 :rofl:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 15:26:18 PM »
I'm sure if a puss cat just happend to turn up on the doorstep and needed a home he wouldn't send it away.  I wouldn't worry to much about it by the time it comes to getting anewbie he will have forgtten all about what he said anyway!  :rofl:

But I totally understand what you mean about him practically saying he doesn't like them!  Men are so thoughtless sometimes  :P
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 15:18:05 PM »
Ditch the OH  :rofl:

I wouldnt worry about it at the moment Lilycat. Just forget about what he said and wait until the time comes - (then rush out and get a cat before he gets a dog hehe)

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 14:25:41 PM »
He wasn't joking unfortunately  :(

We've been together 10 years and we got the pusscats together although I have to say that it was at my suggestion - he certainly didn't voice any serious objections at the time, just the usual stuff like how much would insurance cost etc.

Looking on the bright side, if we did ever split up for any reason, he'd obviously be ok about leaving them all with me. 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 14:08:53 PM »
Oh no, I really hope that what he said was in jest  :doh:

How long have you guys been together, and did you already have the cats when you met? 

I'm sure he does like the pusscats really, probably just being a bloke :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Just found out my OH doesn't want another cat - ever!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 13:56:12 PM »
About half an hour ago I was reading an interesting CP article [from the newspaper] to my OH.

I casually said that in the future [when I lose mine  :'(], I wouldn't get a kitten again, I'd like to get an older cat who'd perhaps been in the shelter for a while or was difficult to rehome for whatever reason.

Anyway, out of the blue, he said that when we lose these ones, he definitely didn't want another cat...he'd rather have a dog. I said [in the spirit of compromise] that we could have one of each but he was quite adamant. No cat.

It's bothering me now, because I do love dogs but I can't imagine not having a cat and I can see it becomming an issue. I'm feeling all protective about the pusscats - he may as well have said that he doesn't like them.

Link to CatChat