Author Topic: smelly cat toys  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: smelly cat toys
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 15:41:37 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 07:51:29 AM »
If you are going to put catnip outside, I would always recommend leaving it in a pot - not only does it not take over, but if the cats strip it to bare sticks, you can bring it back in to recover!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 23:06:43 PM »
I've got my catnip growing in my greenhouse.

I've found that they like really warm and humid conditions, so if you're trying to germinate the seeds, pop a sheet of glass or perspex over the pot. I sowed a pack of seed in february, and because only three came up, mum bunged another packet of seed in the tray. Consequence I am now overwhelmed and they're still fuffy sprouting!  :rofl:

Since I've far more than I could ever need (kept a dozen for my own use) I've passed some on to some friends living locally and potted the rest up two plants to a pot and donated them to my local branch of CP for their stall. I'm keeping custody of them until they're needed though!  :rofl:

One of my friends is the branch coordinator, and I took some down the other week as they were having a stall on the market. As soon as I walked through the door there were cats coming out of the fuffy woodwork. Just the smell of the stuff was driving them looney, so it's got to be good...  :evillaugh:

I really love the smell of catnip - put some in a herb pillow and it's been great for a good night's zzzzzzzz!  :nite:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 22:14:25 PM »
Better to grow them on a sunny window ledge, out of reach of all felines!  :evillaugh:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 22:10:50 PM »
About the catnip.....amazingly easy to grow. Put all the seeds, as spread out as poss, into a large plant pot. Use multipurpose compost and water well. Make sure the seeds are sprinkled on the top and have just a light covering of compost.

Leave in a warm place for a week or more. They will germinate. Leave them to grow.

They grow quickly, like mint, and are very easy to take cuttings from. Separate them into separate pots if they grow very large, though it is my experience that they like being crammed together, even though gardening books suggest otherwise.

If you want more plants, take cuttings from the ones you have, cut them just underneath a 'knob' on the branch, and plant in its own pot, it'll soon start growing.

Soon you'll be overwhelmed with the stuff.

Put the strongest plants in the garden, but beware, they can take over like mint does.

Dry some leaves, branches, and flowers in PAPER bags and use these for cat toys, or just sprinkling around for your cats to get 'high'  8)

Be warned .... DO NOT let your kitties know where the baby seedlings are though .... otherwise they will eat them  :rofl:

I recently planted two plants in a tub outside and when I went to check on them 5 days later they had completely vanised ... nibbled right down to the soil!!!!!! Zephyr had watch me plant them and between him and the cat next door they managed to polish them off  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 22:09:40 PM »
I am really wary of buying off ebay.

I bought some incense once and in the photo they showed regular boxes that have about 16 sticks in- when it arrived, they were tiny boxes with 6 sticks in. >:(

I bought an incence box, came broken

I bought a hurrican lamp supposedly Sia. Advertised as glass.. plastic with stick on coloured mosaic...and I got cheek back from the woman who sold it to me.

I bought an ankle chain which never arrived... paypal dispute was never resolved.

HOWEVER

I bought my car on ebay. Condition perfect and exactly as advertised and parted with no money until i saw it and test drove it.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 22:09:27 PM »
ok ill give it a try but from 9 seeds cant see it growing much  :evillaugh:

i have just hada email from the seller as i gave nutral feedbak and she said that she didnt smoke so it must have been the post office

well by the smell of them they ought to close that post office down  :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 22:05:29 PM »
About the catnip.....amazingly easy to grow. Put all the seeds, as spread out as poss, into a large plant pot. Use multipurpose compost and water well. Make sure the seeds are sprinkled on the top and have just a light covering of compost.

Leave in a warm place for a week or more. They will germinate. Leave them to grow.

They grow quickly, like mint, and are very easy to take cuttings from. Separate them into separate pots if they grow very large, though it is my experience that they like being crammed together, even though gardening books suggest otherwise.

If you want more plants, take cuttings from the ones you have, cut them just underneath a 'knob' on the branch, and plant in its own pot, it'll soon start growing.

Soon you'll be overwhelmed with the stuff.

Put the strongest plants in the garden, but beware, they can take over like mint does.

Dry some leaves, branches, and flowers in PAPER bags and use these for cat toys, or just sprinkling around for your cats to get 'high'  8)
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 20:20:14 PM »
sorry you have all have a bad time with ebay ... I'm a regular ebayer and up til now I have not had any problems (touch wood).

Cosmic PM me your address .... I have a big bag of toys that my lot have no interest in (they are all brand new ... unopened.  One of my friends dad worked for a pet supplies company and she gave me loads.  They aren't super quality but they are free and i'm sure your furries will enjoy them (for a short time! LOL)

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 20:17:11 PM »
That's crap... Some people, eh!?  >:(

Menue came smelling of smoke, but I was unable to wash her  :Crazy:

:rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 20:05:09 PM »
I am really wary of buying off ebay.

I bought some incense once and in the photo they showed regular boxes that have about 16 sticks in- when it arrived, they were tiny boxes with 6 sticks in. >:(

I bought a mattress protector that was supposed to be 100% cotton - it was 100% polyester  >:(

I bought a phone that was supposed to be "ex demo" - it had loads of peoples numbers programmed in  >:(

I bought a Jaeger jumper that was supposed to be medium - it was xxxs (it must have shrunk in the wash)

I bought a music video from russia - it arrived wrapped in brown paper tied with string and was obviously broken  >:(

I'm sure there are other things that have been like that.

I check people's feedback before ordering always. Even then you have to be careful. I have also found you can buy a lot of things cheaper elsewhere.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 20:03:51 PM »
Have you told the seller that you are unhappy with what you have been sent? Thats awful! Menue came smelling of smoke, but I was unable to wash her  :Crazy:

I have never had catnip seeds, but yeah I think you put one in a pot and grow them into plants like the one I have??
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
smelly cat toys
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 19:52:33 PM »
i ordered some cat toys from ebay to cheer mango up untill our new kitten arrives and when they came today they STUNK of smoke i was able to wash the plastic ones but had to do it 3 times and the furry mice and pull string mouse i had to throw away cause i washed em but they still stunk  :sick:

im mad and i wont buy anything off there again

i was supposed to get a packet of catnip seeds and i actually got 8 seeds  what am i supposed to do wi em ? do they grow into grass like stuff ? do i just plant em ?

Link to CatChat