Author Topic: Stray cat  (Read 5647 times)

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
Re: Stray cat
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 17:42:43 PM »
Hi

I'm in a similar situation to you... I have been feeding a stray cat for over 2 years.  We see him rarely when the weather is decent and in the summer he comes quite late for food. 
He turns up in the morning for food too..sometimes

He has started to come in home late at night and sleep indoors if its quite and very cold.  After all this time I cant go near him, and he occasionally has spells of spraying indoors (GROSS!).
I am debating contacting cat protection to see if they can trap him and neuter him.  We have tried to catch him without success, he ripped off the cat flap!  He is  a BIG cat!

I make sure he has food..lots! and shelter, but thats as good as it gets for me, I remain hopefull he will let me stroke him one day

Good luck with your stray
Lynne

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 15:54:45 PM »
:shify: i had a friend who had a wee stray come into her gaden for months, she fed and watered him every day, looked out for him in the winter making sure he was not soaked through, he would sleep in the shed (she got a door put on it for him) but he would run like the wind if she ever went near him, so she just admired him from a distance then one day got a trap from the CPL checked him over he was tip top she decided to keep him, after a week he did a runner he eventully came back but decided he liked the shed rather than the house, then one day a friend was in visiting her when she mentioned about the wee cat who came to dinner, she looked out the window and saw him disappearing into his shed so they watched out the window waiting for him to reapper.  when he did her friend started shouting and jumping up and down, turned out her cat had took to wandering and guess who he was visiting.  so now this greedy boy has two mums and two houses well three if you count the shed

we think he must have been following his mum one day and that was how he ended up there in the first place.

thought i would share that with you as it was funny at the time.

Good Luck with Claws let us no how he is

Have you read a children's book called Six Dinner Sid?

Worth a read....  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 15:01:04 PM »
 :shify: i had a friend who had a wee stray come into her gaden for months, she fed and watered him every day, looked out for him in the winter making sure he was not soaked through, he would sleep in the shed (she got a door put on it for him) but he would run like the wind if she ever went near him, so she just admired him from a distance then one day got a trap from the CPL checked him over he was tip top she decided to keep him, after a week he did a runner he eventully came back but decided he liked the shed rather than the house, then one day a friend was in visiting her when she mentioned about the wee cat who came to dinner, she looked out the window and saw him disappearing into his shed so they watched out the window waiting for him to reapper.  when he did her friend started shouting and jumping up and down, turned out her cat had took to wandering and guess who he was visiting.  so now this greedy boy has two mums and two houses well three if you count the shed

we think he must have been following his mum one day and that was how he ended up there in the first place.

thought i would share that with you as it was funny at the time.

Good Luck with Claws let us no how he is
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 05:44:01 AM »
From his body language (his stance, the way his ears are pointed forward in curiosity and the interested look in his eyes) I think it will be possible to tame him, but it could take a long time. The wide eyes and 'pulled back' body, suggest that he's very frightened. For this reason I suggest that you don't trap him, but continue to feed him and provide him with shelter.

When you feed him, talk softly to him. Try to spend just a little time with him during the feeding routine, to get him used to your presence. Don't try to touch him.

If you have to put the food down and walk away, and he comes for it in his own time, continue doing this. Maybe try to feed smaller meals more often, so that he needs to visit your garden frequently.

Very slowly, he'll realise that you are the source of good things, and will allow closer contact. Always let it be on his terms. Don't push him too fast.

Eventually, he'll be a great, loving cat.  ;D
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 16:05:55 PM »
He looks a real character cat, and has hopefully fell on his feet with you.  Cats know when they are wanted.

I had a stray cat, he was FAB "shadow" he was with us nearly 3 years until he wa in a RTA, I miss him so much.

I really hope you can win him round, sounds as if you are!!  well done

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 19:39:47 PM »
I'm not too worried about how much he costs us in neutering or whatever else he might need, I just want to get him better and homed (hopefully with me). All I need to do now is to convince my OH that Claus would be best with us. I'll keep you all informed.

ren
A cat can purr its way out of anything!

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 18:54:42 PM »
I think your Claus is gorgeous.  :Luv:  He looks like he has loads of character  :wow:

I agree with Dawn that you should definitely carry on feeding him.

Well done you for helping him  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 18:07:30 PM »
He looks an absolute darling  :Luv:  I would definitely carry on feeding him, he sounds as if he's looking for a home and in his eyes he's found it  ;)  If you manage to obtain a trap, you should be able to get a voucher for neutering either off the CP or the RSPCA.  I wouldn't be too sure about him being feral.....there's a good chance but there's also a chance he could be frightened.  I've trapped quite a few so called "ferals" and anyone would think they were with the hissing and spitting, but when I've got them, they've been teddy bears but just frightened.  Good luck and I look forward to hearing updates on him, and well done  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 20:42:17 PM »
What a bruiser.....he's gorgeous  :Luv:

Ditto....cant tell if the right ear is cut or crumpled if cut then it looks the same as my feral "Blackie" :)

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 20:09:01 PM »
Is that ear crumpled or straight like its been cut? Rescues who trap ferals and neuter them will ear tip to show they have been done. I get more than that taken off tho so i could be wrong.

Hes got a lovely face  :Luv:

Both his ears look a bit ragged. I've not been able to get close enough to him to see properly. He's looking good and that face is as cute as pie.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 19:56:08 PM »
Is that ear crumpled or straight like its been cut? Rescues who trap ferals and neuter them will ear tip to show they have been done. I get more than that taken off tho so i could be wrong.

Hes got a lovely face  :Luv:

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 19:41:58 PM »
Finally got a decent photo of Claus. He's started to come during the day, so I think he's getting a bit more comfortable visiting for food.

Claus!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 09:40:03 AM »
That reminds me of one of those dodgy sighting's of the moors black panther lol!

Yep main thing is keep feeding.....depending if he's a stray or feral he may/may not come round but atleast he knows that there's a food supply he can rely on ;)

Good on you for helping him out  :Luv:

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 03:54:21 AM »
Here is a (very bad) photo of Claus. He got so freaked by my taking a photo that he went off :( but he's been back since. He's going to take a LONG time to come round:

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 00:45:15 AM »
This is my latest stray cat TRAMP

Now Tramp is gorgeous! What a lovely photo with a lovely cat!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 23:43:06 PM »
This is my latest stray cat TRAMP

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 23:39:30 PM »
Well we are waiting to see a nice picture of him  ;D

I am working on this! He moves quickly so I have to grab my camera in a hurry!

skaggy cat sounds a lovely fella. I hope I can befriend Claus and give him some trust in people. I'll keep you all posted.  :thanks:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 23:27:49 PM »
Hi there,

Dont give up !!!
It has taken me 6mths to win round my latest stray.
He was excatly the same, as soon as he saw me he legged it but now he comes indoors and sleeps on the sofa ! (and is going to vets tomorrow to be done!!)

My last stray cat, ^Skaggy cat^ never let me touch him in 10yrs !
He lived in a little house i had made for him by the front door, he was warm and feed well.
He was 100% feral and never became tame but he knew me and trusted me.
The day he became ill he put all his trust in me, he cried outside the front door for me and then he let me pick him up -
sadly this was the only cuddle we ever got as i had to take him to the vet to be helped over the Rainbow Bridge.

I say keep feeding this cat - win him round !
But even if he never allows you to tame him at least he has a safe place to live and food

Good luck, it will prob be slow work but well worth it

Michelle xxxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 23:21:30 PM »
Well we are waiting to see a nice picture of him  ;D

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 23:12:58 PM »
I'm a bit worried as we found a bees hive in our (admittedly underused) lawnmower! The weirdest thing that's ever happened to me, I think. We've had to remove the mower and the shed is now a bit different. I'm worried it might upset him that things have been moved about, but hopefully the food still being there will keep him coming back. I've put an old duvet cover in there that should smell a bit of me and my other half, in the hope it might get him used to our smell. It doesn't seem to have put him off. My Freya (2 year old tabby) spends most of the day sitting on our window ledge waiting for him to appear! Bless her, it's her version of big brother!

I am not working at the moment, so I have my days free. I'll try and befriend him (if he lets me!) but he likes to come early and late (5am and 11pm) but I guess with the weather being nice he's not going to stay. I've got one of those pet pad things you can heat up in the microwave. My two aren't interested, but if he's still "in the wild" by winter I'll pop it in and heat it up once a day.

I hope I can help him. My Otto (RIP) was a stray for at least 2 years before the CP got him, so I've got a huge soft spot for Claus.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 22:32:01 PM »
keep up the good work and take it slowly slowly.................if he has been around that long it doesnt sound like he has a home. Once he gets to trust you more then you will be able to teach him that humans wont hurt him.

It would be great if he would come round by the end of the summer and then you could get him neutered.

Sounds like he has made your shed his and he is starting to think of it as his home. Dont tell the cats but we slaves know that a way to their hearts is regular meals and a nice warm, dry place to stay  ;D ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 17:44:41 PM »
Hi, yes you are doing the right thing (in my book anyways) I was too in the same position as you and thank God and a little bit of luck, we managed to trap him  ;D He's now living with my mum.

His story is in OOHS AND AHHS, topic Sucsess story, maybe you could get some tips/ advice from there?

Good luck and keep up the good work, every cat deserves a chance  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 17:46:12 PM by ccmacey »

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 17:18:00 PM »
I can't even be seen moving inside my house with him not running away, so putting a collar on him is a long way off. When Otto (RIP) went AWOL last year he "hooked up" with this cat and the CP lady said she thought he was very likely a stray. He still seems to be straying around the bins in the local area. He could be owned by someone, but it's hard to get a proper look at him (like I say, you have to be indoors and not moving for him to be ok) so apart from knowing that he's a dark grey with raggy ears (been in a few fights I think) there's not much else I can tell, except I think he's not been neutered as he sprays a lot. I think I'll keep putting the food out and take things slowly. He's definitely been about for well over a year, but he might not be truly stray I guess. It's hard to know. If I could get him to trust me then I'd be happy to take him in, but I think it's going to take a LONG time to get him to be ok with me. I've got plenty of time on my hands, so I'm not worried about how long it takes, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by him.

ren

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 17:13:52 PM »
I think it's great that you are offering him food and shelter ... cats (even ferals) need regular food and water and somewhere warm and dry to sleep.  Personally if I was you I would consider borrowing a trap from your local rescue / vets and getting him to be neutered ASAP ... not only for the sake of your shed but also for his own welfare and that of all the other local cats :)  As has been written about on numerous other posts an unneutered tom is at risk of getting inured in fights, more likely to be involved in an RTA, and of course can father hundreds of unwanted kittens.

Good luck and fingers crossed you will win Claus round and soon have a new addition to your family.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 17:15:15 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 17:09:55 PM »
Its better you feed him whilst you try to find out if hes owned than leave him to starve!
Can you touch him? If you can put a paper collar on him or buy a safety type one with message barrel on saying "is this cat owned call ***** " or similar.
Or you could put some notes through the doors in your area asking the same.
Also phone your local rescues and report him as found.

If nobody replies and you want to keep him then you need to get him a MOT and neutered  ;D this is very likely to make him much more friendly!
If you cant keep him then apply straight away to get on the waiting lists of your local rescues, they are unfortunately very long  :(

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 16:52:50 PM »
It could be a long term prospect, but the only problem I can forsee, and that is if the cat is "owned" by someone else. A feral, or any other, cat will practice hunting regardless of how well it is fed.

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
Stray cat
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 16:40:50 PM »
My OH and I had noticed the local stray (who we are calling "Claus") wandering about in our garden. We've started putting food out for him and we've put an old duvet cover and a couple of padded garden chair cushions in the shed for him, but my friend says we shouldn't encourage him with food as he's probably feral and needs to keep hunting and not become dependant on people (I think she's bonkers tbh). It's good quality James Wellbeloved stuff and he gets through a dish of it every day. He's taken to spraying the shed, which makes for an interesting smell. Oh I should mention that we leave the shed door open (we don't have a lot of choice as we can't shut it!). I'm not sure whether we should be feeding him or not. I'd love to befriend him and take him in, but I think that's probably pie in the sky thinking. Just wondered if people thought it was ok for us to feed him and provide somewhere out of the rain for him?

Link to CatChat