Author Topic: Oooh I just had a panic!  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Oooh I just had a panic!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 04:41:20 AM »
I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if it had been something serious and I'd waited to see if he'd calmed down on his own, only to discover that if I'd taken him sooner, they might have been able to help him.

I know what you are saying on literature given to all new cats owners I quote 'one of the biggest killers of cats is people who do not take them to the vets on time'.

I receive so many phone calls asking me what they think is wrong with a cat, very often I do have an idea however, I always say I am not a vet and you need to consult your vet. As we all know there are so many ailments with very similar symptoms, I could not forgive myself if I had guessed wrong. Of course in these situations usually the caller says they cannot afford to take the cat to a vet, as I cannot have a cats life on my conscience, I often offer to lend the money, very rarely do we get it back although a form is always signed promising to repay.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 19:48:53 PM »
Indeedy!  Better to be at the vets with a well cat, than at home with a very sick one!  I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if it had been something serious and I'd waited to see if he'd calmed down on his own, only to discover that if I'd taken him sooner, they might have been able to help him.

:car: :poke:  These are here for no reason other than I liked them  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 17:39:34 PM »
Always best be safe than sorry Fluffy  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 13:45:14 PM »
It is embarrassing isn’t it. A while ago I told the story of the night before our Badger was going into the kennels, I noticed pink spots on his tummy, we immediately took him to the vets and as my husband placed him on the table I shouted stop I know what it is, under the vets  light I could see it was load of pink marker pen dots, the grand kids mush have left on open on the floor under the table where Badger often goes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 13:47:36 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Oooh I just had a panic!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 13:39:26 PM »
But everything turned out alright!  My old boy Sooty was having a mooch round the garden then when he came back to the house he was wildly salivating and trying to clear his mouth.  I grabbed him and stuffed him straight into the pet carrier and rushed him up to the vets (in my car with a flat tyre but hey ho, needs must!)  When I got there I opened the carrier and he was a lot better already, then I looked at the greasy patch on his neck and realised I had frontlined him not long previously that morning  :rofl:  The vet gave him a good checkover while he was there (for which I wasn't charged  ;D) and agrees that was probably the cause, and now he is back home and seems absolutely fine.  Well, fine apart from a bit grouchy that he has just had a thermometer shoved where the sun doesn't shine  :Crazy:

So after a mad half hour, I can settle down with a cup of tea and relax again before I venture back up to the vets later with the rabbits!

Link to CatChat