Author Topic: How did we choose their names?  (Read 14264 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: How did we choose their names?
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 20:46:55 PM »
The Proot picked his own name, 'cos he always said "Prrroot" as his early morning greeting  :)

Dinah arrived with her name, but is named after Alice's cat in Alice in Wonderland.

She is also known as The Plume as her tail is very wispy....

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 19:55:18 PM »
now whos cats have middle names ?????? :-[ :Crazy: :doh: :-[ :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

yes mine all have middle names :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :rofl: :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 17:41:22 PM »
Riley's a wonderful name for a cat Helen - because most of them live the life of him! :evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 17:00:22 PM »
Tiggy - Mainly because she was ginger. I was 10 and wanted to call her Tiger, my Mum said No and that Tigger was a better name so we settled on Tiggy.

Lucas - I was told he was a girl so chose the name Kali which really suited 'her'.  When I found out he was a boy I had some reserve names for Riley but most were really masculine and Lucas/Kali is very delicate looking so chose Lucas, I really like the name and was saving it for my first human child but decide to give it to Kali.  He's called Lukey (looks funny spelt 'lucey') the majority of the time.

Riley - Just thought it was a cute name.  I was looking for boys names ending with the'ee' sound which apparently is easier for them to learn.

Great thread CC  ;D

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 16:53:25 PM »
Originally when I decided to give a home to a kittie I had decided on the name Bailey, that was until Biscuit came along and because she was a female I didn't think Bailey would suit hence she became Biscuit my very own Ginger Biscuit  :rofl:

Offline catzluva71

• Adult Cat
  • Bo
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 16:34:43 PM »
When I first had Tommy, I was told he was a girl, so called him Maisie, then I found out he wasn't   :-[  :Crazy:
I couldn't think of what to call him so settled on Tommy, (as in tom cat)

George was already named  :Luv:

And Bo because I had already decided on the name Beau before I got him but wanted to spell it differently.
Apparently the name means precious and commanding, which he deffinately is :Luv:  :)
Home is where your cat is :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 16:17:01 PM »
Milly & Lola were called Pippa & Doodles, Lola loves ner name and goes crazy when you say oh la la  :Crazy: shes my french tart  :evillaugh:  Milly was a teeny 2.5kg when we got her so my sister thought she was suited to that.

Simon, was named by the rescue vets (they have done worse!) i hated the name but as he was a foster i didnt change it. He never left but had learnt his name so he kept it.

Taz was originally named Satan as he would always scratch/bite my friend and before he had teeth he would gum her fingers instead  :evillaugh: i changed it to Taz, short for tazmania devil and he's now the complete opposite of his name  :Luv:

Tabitha, originally named because of being a tabby, very sweet as a baby and it suited her, shes also now the opposite - a tom boy!

Spike, all claws as a baby and still is, spikey by name spikey by nature!  :sneaky:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 15:41:38 PM »
Max was called Brutus by CP when I adopted him.

It was around the time Gladiator came out, and we decided to give him a good Roman name lol, as he's a big cat he became Brutus Maxipuss, which became Max for short  :rofl:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Lexy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 15:39:17 PM »
My first name was Jessie.  :Dont know:

When Mummy got me at the rescue she said Jessie just didn't suit me. And since I didn't have that great a start in life, Mummy didn't want me to have a name that gave me bad memories.  :wish:

Mummy called me Alexandra because apparently I looked so much like my nanna's kitty cat Sasha (who was also called Alexandra - well before she went to the bridge at a ripe old age of 100.. that's cat years to you lot  :tongue 2: ) that Mummy wanted me to have the same name in honour of her memory. So I got called Lexy for short.

I don't know... would have preferred my own name (humans  :Crazy: ) but you know Mum is keen on me having a human name.. whatever tickles her fancy I say.. just give me some food!  :gimme:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 15:32:32 PM »
Jaffa is Jaffa because he's orange  ;D  Took me a while to think up a name for him that I liked but I read about a cat called Jaffa and at the same time a friend of my sister's named her puppy Jaffa.  I decided I liked the name and it fitted, so Jaffa he was!

Mosi was so called because he's a somali cat and I decided a somali name would suit.  I couldn't find one that sounded right so I broadened my search to african names.  Mosi is swahili name meaning first born and Mosi was the first of his litter to be born and his mum's first litter so it seemed appropriate.  I later found out it's also an american indian word meaning cat.

Magpie (bridge baby) was called because he was black and white and had markings like a magpie. 

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 15:13:51 PM »
Penguin – he came with the name and he answered to it. As he’s black & white I didn’t mind too much.

Smoke – her original name was Megan but she didn’t answer to it. She is grey and white so my husband thought of Smoke – I had the song Smoke on the Water stuck in my head for weeks after we named her.

Lirael – we sat in our living room for an hour after bring her home, we never asked the breeder what her name was (found out later by her vaccination card that it was Kay) so we started running off names and none fitted her. We then started looking to our bookshelves (as both OH and I are comic book readers….) anyway we had some Garth Nix books on the shelf and one was called Sabriel but my OH thought it was too close to my name so we went for the next book, Lirael. And thus she was named ;)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 15:05:45 PM »
molly was already called molly when we got her ,

Bailey and bridie , i choose the names b4 i got them
they r names that id of called my kids if i had any

now flossy and pickles were oringanlly gonna be called katie and keeley but it just didnt suit them and i then called them flossy and pickles
pickles coz she is a little pickle  :evillaugh:

makosi : i didnt know what i was gonna call her  till i went and got her that night and as soon as i saw her i knew she was gonna be called makosi but shes always been called kose or kosyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy by us

and max
i was gonna call him harley coz he was found in a road called harley walk lol

but then i called him max after max in eastenders who is also a ginger lol  :P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 15:07:18 PM by forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa) »
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 15:01:17 PM »
Hi CC,

Great idea for a thread btw!  ;D

Nina was originally called Maisey (she never looked like a Maisey!) when we picked her up, and in the car on the way home she looked at me from the carrier and i just thought her name was Nina! (I also love Nina Simone so i think that had something to do with it!)

Kiki was originally Kiwi and my OH said she looks like more of Kiki than a Kiwi! She is so pretty and slight like a dancer i suppose!

ccmacey

How did we choose their names?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 14:55:29 PM »
Hi peeps, just wanted to know why people chose the names that they have for their little furbabes. Obviously because we liked the name but did anything else come into the decision and was it first choice? Did you already have a name in mind before you got the cat?

My first 2 kittens were already named and I liked them so stuck with them. I have named my other cats on looks alone but find that their names also show a part of their personality.

My cats names are

Ted, he's turned out to be a real teddy bear.

Renie, she was named after wolverine because she had big claws.

Oliver, he is the origanal "starving" cat.

Macey, cute name for a cute girl, she has turned out to be a real cutie.

Harry, he was called that because his dad looked like Prof Dumbledoor from Harry Potter.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 10:51:36 AM by ccmacey »

Link to CatChat