Author Topic: How did we choose their names?  (Read 14265 times)

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
Re: How did we choose their names?
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2017, 15:37:56 PM »

Astrophe was called Papoose in the rescue, stupid name so I changed it  to Astrophe, before I signed the forms for his adoption and chip registration. Poor lad wasn't being saddled with that name.

Zoonie, Zoonie the Lazoon to give him his full name was called Zuni at the rescue. The Zuni are a tribe of North American Indians. Not a bad name but Zoonie the Lazoon suited him better. The name is from a puppet character in Fireball XL5.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2017, 21:30:23 PM »
Popeye it seems started life as Poppy  :-[ until he was properly sexed.  OH was keen to rename him until he remembered Popeye Doyle was played by a favourite actor Gene Hackman. 

Elsa was Ella but I've always loved the name Elsa since Born Free.  By coincidence, Sheila of WFC Cats Protection brought them to us today which it so happens would have been her granny Elsa's 105th birthday.  So twas meant to be I feel  :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 16:53:04 PM »
Denzel & Dexter - we planned on getting 2 toms as kittens and chose the names beforehand, but I ended up choosing a tom & a queen...!

Dexter I named after the serial killer on the TV program - his full name is Dexter Morgan. Denzel OH chose after goodness knows what  :shocked:

Evie was brought into the rescue on new years eve, so they called her Eve which got slightly tweaked.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2017, 22:31:20 PM »
There's been a change in management here too since this thread's last outing. Jaffa, sadly, is kicking back his heels at rainbow bridge now. Little Kito has taken up residence here to keep Mosi company. He has a Swahili name like Mosi, with a similar sound, to keep the theme going. Kito means precious child and he's certainly that.

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 13:18:36 PM »
Butter's is from the CPL where we got him from.  Not sure he was called that before he went in or if the CPL  named him!

He was an abandoned cat apparently found by a young girl who took him home but her parents wouldn't let her keep him  :shify:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »
KOCKA WHO WALKED INTO MY GARDEN AND TURNED ME FROM A CAT HATER TO A CAT LOVER WELL OVER 20NYRS AGO NOW WAS CZECH FOR CAT AND I THOUGHT IT A BIT RUDE TO CALL HER CAT, THOUGHT SHE BELONGED TO SOMEONE SO DIDNTWANT TO NAME HER.

MISA AND SASA ARE BOTH CZECH NAMES AGAIN COS WANTED TO KEEP UP THE THEME.

NAPOLEON AND WELLINGTON CAME WITH THEIR NAMES THATBTHEYHAD FOR 12 YEARS SO DIDNT WANT TO CHANGE THEM BUT ADDED CZECH NAMES INFRONT SO FRANTA AND DUCHA.............FRANTA WENT BACK TO NAPOLEON AFTER HE DECIDED HE WASNT DEAF AND DUCH ALWAYS ANSWER TO THAT.

LUPIN IS THE FIRST ONE WITHOUT A CZRCH NAME AND HAD TO THINK QUICK AT VETS ON HIS FIRST DAY FOR A NAME. LUPINBUDWAS HIS PEDIGREE NAME SO LUPIN HE BECAME  ;D ;D

WHY CZECH NAMES , WELL LOVED CZECHOSLOVAKIA AND WAS TRYING TO LEARN CZECH WHEN KOCKA ARRIVED AND KNEW THE WORD FOR CAT  :evillaugh:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:50 AM »
Emo was my Daughters cat, and she was a Goth and Emo is black.........Emo doesn't like babies so when my Daughter got pregnant again she asked me to take Emo. Pippa and Pirate came with their names from Sheila, Pirate has birth deformities so only one fully functioning eye. Bob came from a Black Adder fans home, hence a girl called Bob and Merlin had a silly name when he came so I ran a few names past him and he ignored them all except Merlin, so he chose his own name. :evillaugh:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 20:02:51 PM »
My cat is called Billy because the previous one was Bully who had gone three weeks before at nearly 18. I might rename him referendum as it looks like we are due another one here in next couple of years. What fun :rofl:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 19:32:59 PM »
Many of our cats have been named for places we've loved in Scotland and hence Ross, and of course Moray.    :Luv2: :Luv2:

Malt and Barley kind of reflect our love of whisky and the fact the gurlies coats are two-toned.  :)

Paddy was named because he was a ginger and white tabby, Flynn because he was also ginger and white (though a very pale apricot colour) and then Tinks was already named.   :Luv:

MacBeenz MacSquee was named because he had a very pitched cry, and of course carrying on the Scots theme, bless his paws.   :Luv2:

Our Suki was the cat who started it all for us - a little slinky tuxedo cat, who was quite exotic.   :Luv:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 19:22:27 PM »
I've already answered this, but there's been a change in purrsonnel. I've still got Bramble, named for her prickly naure (now mellowed quite a lot), but now  I have Clio, who arrived with her name, though it was found later that she'd originally been called Lady.
Then there's Lily. I didn't give her that name, that was a friend who volunteered her husband to ferry me and Lily to and from the vets. Apparently, Lily just "looks like a Lily", whatever that means.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 18:24:31 PM »
Tiggie is really called Tigger because she is stripy like a tiger, although she is a silver tabby and therefore not orange like a tiger. I do not know why Kizzie is called Kizzie or Kizzy, but it is a good name and it suits her. It may have come from the Roots TV series.   
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2007, 20:53:51 PM »
I chose Jasmine just cos I liked the name, and thought she looked like a Jasmine. Then we picked Disney names for her kittens, and went with Daisy (Duck) Belle and Meeko. Mark from here won the sweepstake and chose Lucas' name :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 17:29:24 PM »
Our vet, however, remarked that she was lucky not to have been called Snot.

:rofl: ;D

Jaffa is Jaffa because he's orange  ;D  And it suits him.
Mosi is Mosi because I wanted an african name, him being a somali and all that.  It's a swahili name meaning first born (he was the first of his litter to be born and it was his mum's first litter) and is also a native american word meaning cat, apparently.
Magpie was Magpie because he had markings like a Magpie and he was a Newcastle United fan (The Magpies)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 13:49:38 PM »
Our vet, however, remarked that she was lucky not to have been called Snot

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 13:31:46 PM »
Blip came with her name because she has a little patch of white fur under her nose.  I have a thing about not changing names so we didn't, but in fact the unusual name suits her very well somehow.  I have remarked before that she is in the newspapers most days, being blamed for sales drops, economic downturns etc ('just a blip, explains retail boss'...) which tickles us.

Our vet, however, remarked that she was lucky not to have been called Snot.

TabbyFur was so named because she had...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 10:28:11 AM »
Queen P - my trusty diccie says it means tiny (and, er, a menu :) ) but I can't say I've ever heard it used in the 2+ yrs I lived there. It would probably be a term of affection anyhow??

Aww thanks!! She was tiny when I got her! But she's found her appetite a bit and is filling out (possibly due to the spaying?). I call her Mini Moo most of the time. Poor cats going to start thinking she's a cow!!
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 10:08:47 AM »
Queen P - my trusty diccie says it means tiny (and, er, a menu :) ) but I can't say I've ever heard it used in the 2+ yrs I lived there. It would probably be a term of affection anyhow??

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2007, 21:17:12 PM »
Moomin -   moomins childrens program from when i was little
Mango -     She is the colorred of the inside of a mango
Luna -       she is the colour blue like the moon

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2007, 19:10:42 PM »
I didn't choose Menue's name but I didn't want to change it! Apparently it means "cat" in either Thai or something else (I'm not too sure which, but all suggestions greatfully appreciated!)

However... apparently it means "small" or "peewee" in French? Is this true? (I typed menue into a french to english translator online and "small" is what was returned, although I thought petit was small in french! Oh well! It may remain a mystery for ever more!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 19:12:52 PM by Queen_Penguin »
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2007, 18:38:56 PM »
Kocka...........pronounced Koch-ka         is czech for cat and she wandered into my garden one day and it seemed rude to say hello cat! Kocka sounded better.

When she went to the Bridge I wanted to keep the czech names going so now have:

Misa.............meesha........................micky in czech
Sasa.............Sasha ........................czech short form of Alexandra......Alex
Franta.............................................frankie in czech
Ducha...........Doo-ka.........................wells its a czech word but not a name and its cos the birmans came to me as Wellington and Napolean, Franta was Napoleon and Franta was as close to french as I could get but my little punk man Ducha is now of course

Ducha Wellington  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 18:34:32 PM »
fraser..my pal suggested Frazer (when the sitcom was popular) and i didnt like that but my grans maiden name was fraser so went for that.

sebastian..dunno he just looked like a sebastian.

Cody...i liked this name for a boy but hubby didnt (had a girl anyway lol) but used it when i got my codster.

Logan (the dog)  we went through lots of names and liked logan the best (x men wolverine LOL)

my rip sooty -- he was black and i was young LOL
my other dogs have all been named when i got them.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 18:29:25 PM »
Mouse - a small bundle of grey fur with a ratty tail
Bob Cat - a girly looking cat with a squeaky voice called deena when rehomed and re-named Bob as required a more masculine sounding name
Pavarotti = a tiny bundle of angles with big bat ears (siamese) rescued from the pet shop covered in fleas but named for his lung capacity which was awesome
Sofia Maria - named Gertrude at the RSPCA - need I say more
Claudius maximus because he had a roman nose and was quite insane (in the nicest possible way) so had to be named for a roman emperor
Serendipity - because I had not intended to come home with a cat...........
Tabitha Jane - a torty and white moggie who became house mother to several generations of incomers but had a sadistic turn
Hecate - an ebony oriental because her colour and green eyes made her look like a witches cat
Cinders - a black and white moggie with neat white sox but black toes so looked as if he had been walking in the ashes of the fire.
Shadow (my dog) who is black and follows me everywhere

Offline goatboy

• Adult Cat
  • Ozzy Sparked out
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Over the years I have had a cat called Socks cos he was black with white socks.
Another cat called Clawdius as he loved to pad my legs to get comfortable and his claws would dig in.
Another cat called Spike (spot the trend here lol) cos she liked to dig her claws in as well.

My current cat is called Ozzy, she is just 3 months old. I decided to call her after the legend that is Ozzy Osbourne also sort of after Ossie Ardiles, my hero as a child (Can you guess what team I support)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »
My first cat ^Nicadeamus^ was named after the cat in Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, known as Nikki for short.

Molly was the next one, named by OH so not very original.

KayCee was found be a man called by Mr Curry so I was going to call her Korma, but no one was keen on this so she became KC, (Korma Curry)

^Red^ - everyone things he was called Red because he was a ginger tom but he was actually called Red because when he was brought into the Vets as a stray he was ridden with fleas and his back was red raw.

Baz is named after Barry Sheene, as Barry Sheene had recently died and I was a great fan.  It became a bit prophetic as Baz had a bad kneecap and ended up with as much metal in his leg as Barry Sheene.

Elvis is Elvis the Pelvis because he was born was his back legs facing the wrong way.  The vets said to put him to sleep but me and one of the Veterinary Nurses hand reared him together and with physio his legs came right and he is now able to do all the normal things though he does not climb that much.

Forest Gump Hillbilly Munchkin was named by everybody, lol.  He has deformed front legs like one of thoseamerican Munchkin cats.  When we used to let him have a roam aroung in the Cat ward he would try and run and hence "Run, Forest, run" and one of the Nurses thought he looked like a Hillbilly when he arrived as he was so scruffy and dirty.

George is named after ^Georgie^ the mascot of Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue.  She was tabby and so is he, and she had to be put to sleep at the tender age of 8 weeks due to horrendous eye trauma and he came to me with cowpox and an extremely bad eye, so he was named after her and Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue was born.

DD - named after Diddy Dawn who rescued her.

Aerial - DD's sister, rescued from the scrapyard, so named after the only female car part I could think of!

Gin and Tonic - two black beauties who you cannot tell apart to look at, but who are completely different, like their namesakes.

Smudge - a bit unoriginal but he has a smudge on his nose.

Felix - just because he is the spitting image of the Felix cat and I've always wanted a black and white Felix, having about six black and whites who don't look anything like a Felix cat.   As it turns out his personality is just like the Felix cat as well, lol.

Smartie - she was the first to leqarn everything from her litter when I was handrearing her and she became known as a Smartie pants, and it stuck.

Oilivia - a stray Colourpoint persian who needed a posh name, and I thought Olivia was quite posh.

Jenny - who I wanted to call Priscilla, as she was Elvis's girlfriend when they were growing up, but OH did not like that so she became Jenny, the girlfriend of Forest Gump.

Jerry Maquire and Dorothy - because the day I got the call to rescue them I was watching that film.

Lucy - I really don't know why, lol - but she looks like a Lucy.

Weeble - because when she first came to us she had some episodes when she yawned or shook she would almost fall over - "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"

Shyla - she was called Blackie when she arrived but she was quite shy and I was watching Animal Planet and there was a shy Beagle on there they called Shyla, and I liked it so she became Shyla.  Now she has come out of her shell she is not shy at all but the name stuck and she comes running when you call her which she never did when you called Blackie.

Stella was already called Stella when she arrived (after Stella Artois apparently) but it suits her and it stuck.

I now have a book to help me name the kittens when they come as I can sometimes run out of ideas.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 14:33:14 PM by lesleytiggersmum (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 09:38:48 AM »
Great thread  ;)

Muppet - He was called Zinc  :tired: however, as he is not the sharpest tool in the box, Hubby called him a Muppet and the name stuck  :evillaugh:

Rascal - Because she is one  :evillaugh:

Widget - Auntie Gill named him as I wanted a name to go with the other two  :sneaky:

Guinness - My daughter decided on this name as he is B&W and it goes with Widget  :evillaugh:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 13:34:08 PM »
Pimpernel: He was very good at hiding, and he's red (sort of!), so I named him after the Scarlet Pimpernel. (They seek him here, they seek him there.....)
Neit: She's black and very slender, and looks like one of those Egyptian cat statues, so I wanted to give her a name to reflect that. The most apt name was obviously Bastet, but luckily I realised how that might sound when calling her in, so I opted for another Egyptian goddes. It's pronounced "night", and that goes with her colour.
Bramble: She already had her name before she came to me, but she got the name because she's always been a bit prickly!

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 13:21:39 PM »
Dylan had his name when I got him but I liked it cos it was a bit different and it really suits him because he is very laid back and always asleep like Dylan the rabbit in the Magic Roundabout  :Luv:

Hobbes is named after the tiger in the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons - it's my fave cartoon strip and I always wanted to call a cat Hobbes cos I thought it was an ace name and as my Hobbes is a stripey ginger boy he looks a bit like a tiger so it seemed to fit. He's just as mad as the cartoon Hobbes too  :rofl:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »
In age order....

Tigger: She was very bouncy as a kitten and you could just see the outline of little stripes on her legs and tail (we later discovered if you shave her she's spotty -this was discovered when she was spayed btw we weren't randomly shaving her!)

Bilbo Baggins: We knew he'd grow to the size of an actual hobbit and he has exceptionally hairy feet. His pedigree name is Bold Leader and he certainly lives up to it at times boldly leading the way into places he knows he shouldn't be going!)

Miss Boopy: Boopy is her pedigree name, after Betty Boop, and therefore that's what she got called by her breeder and in a few emails she called her Miss Boopy and the Miss stuck and I grew to like the name so I didn't ask her breeder to call her anything else. To start with I really wasn't sure about Boopy as a name (She nearly ended up being called Etoile by me!)  but it suits her and she's the only one the vets have ever heard of lol. 

All three have songs I can sing to them as well with their names in - The Tigger Song, The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins and various songs from Betty Boop  ;D
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Catz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 18:57:06 PM »
Toffee because he's ginger and white and the shade of toffee.My mum doesn't like cats and I had to have a name that my sisters kids could say without mum getting suspicious. In the end I told her about him.

Magnum because he had a very pronouced M on his forehead

Sebastian because he's got a very big personality and he needed a big name to go with it.

Harvey because it's Gaelic for eager for battle and when he arrived he was always starting on the others when they came too close to him even though they were about 5 times the size of him  :rofl:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 17:19:54 PM »
Meesha is named after Meesha the Bear from a kids' story book because when I got her, her coat was very thick and bear-like!  And it suited her!  She's since malted a lot of it for the summer and has turned out to be a dinky little thing, bless her  :Luv:

Shanti is named for the Hindi/Bengali word meaning 'peace' as she was the most gentle and loving of the three when I rescued them.  Unfortunately, she was mis-named, as she is now the most aggressive of the three, although she still loves to lay her little head on my shoulder.   :Luv:  She IS very gentle when taking food from my fingers tho :)

Sabby is actually 'Sabu', named after the wrestler ... nuff said!  I liked the name because it sounds exotic too!  Oh, better give Sabby a  :Luv:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 15:25:09 PM »
When I got Mogs she was called Enid! She didnt answer to it and I couldnt live with it so I spent the first few days saying things like 'so Mogs what are we going to cal you?' By then of course she was answering to Mogs  :evillaugh: Anyway Amber got her name as shes a pretty tortie and I took one look at her and said' look at the Amber eyes' and that was that.

Of course when we go to the vets I do get

Miss Mellor you can bring Tabitha in now!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
love
Tab

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 15:11:39 PM »
Great thread!  Reminds me of all the cats I've known and loved.

But...I wonder if anyone has a name they are too embarrassed to call out  :rofl: 

My two substitute children are Swampy - after a cricketer and also (this gets a bit complicated) cos he was a brown coloured little swamprat when he arrived and sang the blues all the way home from Essex, so Muddy Waters came to mind....and Max because of Mad Max because he was really utterly nuts as a kitten. He used to 'kill' socks in the laundry basket and hide them behind the sofa, making growling noises if anyone came near  :Crazy:

I had another burmese until the mid 90s who was called Louis, after Earl (wassit? or wassit Lord? sorry) Louis Mountbatten of Burma. So called because he arrived aged 12 weeks, surveyed the house with his head on one side and went uh-oo in each room like "I suppose this will do".  The Mountbatten TV series was the only thing on SATV at the time and we thought Lord Louis or Earl M (I'm not too clued up on peerages etc) was a teeny bit arrogant like our Louis.  He turned out to be very regal and a terrific hunter, so maybe it suited him!
My beloved Moggy was a pavement rescue special and the word 'moggy' isn't used in SA.
Probably my favourite name was for an enormous fluffbag that my Aunt in Scotland had who was a big softie and was called Skittles. I loved him so much and his name too. Skittles wasn't renowned for his courage though. A wee old lady came to the door one day and told my aunt that her "great big pussycat was atop a pole". He was. No idea what he'd scooted up to avoid, but he was wailing with fear as he was being divebombed by crows! I used to play tennis with Skittles; he had paws like oven mitts.

She had another cat called Bod because he walked lifting his feet up, like the kids' TV character.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 15:13:00 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 08:19:48 AM »
All bar one of my permanents have had names - and I didn't even get the name I wanted for htat - I wanted Tig to be called Tiger, but my neighbour kept calling her Tigger!! The majority of fosters have come in with names fortunately, I am rubbish at naming - the last two nameless ones haven't been named by me!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 06:40:21 AM »
With my cats  and our boy (badger) they have either had their names when they came in, any that are nameless I usually  name them with  the names I would have called children had I more than one. Mind you I would not have named a child  Peewee or  Sweetpea. I also find it harder to name   male cats as I had no intentions of having any boys.

It never ceases to amaze me when we have to take a black or white cat in how many people say to me  (if its black) you will never guess its name I will say Snowy and they say 'how did you know that, or if it is white I will say Sooty. They all think they are the only people to have thought of it.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 23:03:52 PM »
Ok,

Stitch - already had her name when she came - she was part of a duo called Lilo and Stich  :rofl:
Lubo - Kevin named him after a very good celtic football player
Lenny - To continue the L theme and after John Lennon
Loki - Further continuance of L theme and cos he is a v naughty boy LOL
Nova - She was the start of my music theme cos was getting tongue tied with the L's - Full name is Champagne Supernova after one of my fave Oasis songs
Kaiser - Kasier Chiefs of course!  And he needed something a bit regal
Miss Dynamite - Lynn chose this one - further continuing my music theme

Maybe have all names in the Uk top 40 before soon  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 23:03:19 PM »
Ok here goes

Baby - Named sugar by rescue place but i didnt like it !

Bear - started off as Teddy for Teddy Sherinham but he left Spurs so name got changed to Bear

^Pooh^ - My son chose it

^Star^ - My son chose it again

^Marmite^ - As she was a marmite colour

^Storm^ - dont know just liked the name

Willow - again just liked name

Issey - As in the purfum Issey Makie

Rocky - coz he has huge hands (paws lol)

Lilly - dont know just liked name

Missy - had about 4 different names before becoming missy

Fleur - heard someone at the vets say the name and liked it

Lulu - couldnt tell you !!

Lala - started running out of names lol

Freddy - Hubby chose it, named after Freddy Flintoff

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 22:58:09 PM »
To name my cats I had to think LONG AND HARD as you will now find out:

Ging (Ginger) was named because he is GINGER.

Grwndi (in english means to purr) but its a good welsh name for a cat. 

I know,I know I am such a genius when it comes to naming my babies :sneaky:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 22:19:50 PM »
Right Baz was named after Barry Manilow But i call him Bazzy Bazil.....
Lola....yep she's a show girl........
Jack after uncle who died......but call him yagga yak yak....
maisey......she's just  :Crazy:
Blackie already named but wanted to call him "Mr Hanky" lol!
Mitzi already named &
RIP Gnarla x...such a sweet cat but hated the other cats "ROAR"

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 22:16:00 PM »
She is also known as The Plume as her tail is very wispy....

I just love your names Baggy, 'The Plume' is fantastic  :)

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 21:13:35 PM »
anything would have been better than the names they were saddled with at the rescue i.e. "tinsey" and "wincey"  :-[ I ask you  :Crazy: :Crazy:

anything goes with my surname (Jones) so thought Cosmo Cat and Jessie Jones would sound good down at the vet's.  (I also think that when you name cats as an adult you owe it to feline kind to be a bit more original... :evillaugh:)

Link to CatChat