Author Topic: He doesn't love us anymore!  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: He doesn't love us anymore!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 18:31:45 PM »
Its a very common preservative so good luck checking for it! Its like trying to eat food without MSG in it  :Crazy:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 17:50:40 PM »
Millys Mum, thanks for the info about sodium nitrate and epilepsy. As you may know from previous postings, I'm epileptic, so will be checking everything for this additive now, along with a host of other things like sweeteners!  :um:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 17:05:00 PM »
Just a thought. Is your neighbour a keen gardener? Ours was and our Gandolf RIP was completely devoted to him as he loved company while he was in the garden.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 16:31:58 PM »
Just checked and I think it's benzoic acid which is used as a preservative in ham. This is a form of phenol. I think ham also contains sodium benzoate (my bulb's just popped and trying to see notes using monitor as light source! Good job I can touch type.)

They also have phosphates which are definately not good for kitties with kidney problems. Also pork molecules are too large for cats cappilaries. I grudgingly give clapton a tiny piece to get his tablets taken but don't give him slices like I used to.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 15:37:01 PM »
Sainsburys taste the difference ham uses sodium nitrate, google says this is linked to epilepsy when consumed regularly, its also in pet foods!  :shify:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 07:37:38 AM »
I personally prefer making them want to be at home with love, not food, as the latter can have some nasty side effects!! Do you know if he ever gets in your neighbours house? There is obviously something that makes him want to be out more, and at the moment, it could just be the weather, mine are all out a lot more at this time of year, and come winter, they are happy to be back in the house.
Thanks for that Hippy - I just thought it was the salt content that meant ham wasn't a good thing for cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 07:15:45 AM »
When I used to let my cats out Lucy always went to a house a couple of doors away, I knew if she was not in our garden she was there, usually curled up in his lounge. There was just no reason for her to go there as she had everything luxury here. I then found out that he was always giving her salmon and that was the attraction. He just adored Lucy and even asked my mum who lived a couple of doors away (they other way) if she thought I would let him have Lucy. Of course you know the answer.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:18:08 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 17:57:10 PM »
Just checked and I think it's benzoic acid which is used as a preservative in ham. This is a form of phenol. I think ham also contains sodium benzoate (my bulb's just popped and trying to see notes using monitor as light source! Good job I can touch type.)
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 17:06:45 PM »
Ham has a high salt content but some of the better quality deli meats are ok in small amounts.

Nick, i think your spot on with the making of his home turf more appealing, neighbour doesnt appear to feed/fuss him so its obviously just more comfy over there!
In regards to chemicals in pet food i agree, although dry has more of them in it than wet.
Check out Applaws & Almo Nature, 70% chicken with no added yuck  ;D

Im sure Henry will be back when winter returns!  :innocent:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 14:35:35 PM »
I don't think you can force a cat to stay at home by  shutting him in because he is likely to revert back to his old behaviour the moment you let him out. I think it might be more effective to look at why he would rather be in next doors garden . After all he has a choice and its not from any lack of attention food and cuddles for sure .
I'll look into the preservative toxins in ham  but I am not aware of any.They only get a little bit now and again  Probably far worse in the cat food sachets and tubs to be honest which is why I rarely give my cats soft sachet type cat food .

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 12:46:53 PM »
Littlebobo, I thought ham had preservatives in it which are poisonous to cats? A vague memory of reading this.

I'd be inclined to lock Henry in for a week with a litter tray. Spoil him with lots of fuss and occasional fresh chicken (boneless) or the gourmet cat foods. Play with him lots too, with bits of string and paper. (I roll up little pieces of paper and toss them round a room for the cats to 'kill', I end up with a cluttered floor and have to pick up all the paper!)

Are you out at work for hours, could he be lonely?

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 09:23:35 AM »
perhaps it might be an idea to look at what is differant about your garden and your neighbours and why he may be more attracted to your neigbours.
Do your N feed birds ? are there a lot of birds next door ? is there more interest like rough grass shrubs etc where he can hunt and hide ? is the more or less sun/shade.
Do you leave a chair out for him to sleep on in your garden. Is it cat friendly in other words. You need to attract him back by offering him what he gets next door but not at home. You need to look at this from a cat's perspective though. What is it that your cats seeks during the day ? Its obviously not constant cuddles and attention. I suspect its the wildlife next door
Both of my cats spend most of the day in next doors garden but they come back periodically for some tucker . They are happy and contented and therefore o am I

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 21:34:34 PM »
If i were you i would get the special treats out ham and cheese always seems to work  :wow:
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 20:53:01 PM »
Not being rude, but is there something you now have in the house that he might hate the smell of?  :Crazy:

Apart from the wife's feet I don't think so. (Se's tracking this topic, now I'm in trouble) :)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 20:52:10 PM »
Not being rude, but is there something you now have in the house that he might hate the smell of?  :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 20:50:07 PM »
Oh I do hope Henry decides he loves you again.

You havent changed his food or litter type have you?

When did this start happening, did you have a visitor?

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 15:53:42 PM »
Yup, he's had the snip :) and we don't have any pets or kids in the house, just us two. I'm sure hell come back when he's bored of whatever it is he's doing.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 15:50:59 PM »
Sorry to hear Henry has shunned you  :(
Is he neutered?
Do you have dogs or young kids that he doesnt really like? It doesnt sound like the neighbour encourages him if hes popping back for food.

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
He doesn't love us anymore!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 14:03:47 PM »
Our little cat Henry gets all the love in the world. We love him to bits and have spent weeks with the vet because he keeps eating things he shouldn't and jumping off things he ought not to. But he has decided he prefers the neighbour's garden to ours and spends as little time with us as is possible :) He just isn't interested, he ignores us all the time, just comes in for food and then that's the last we see of him. The only time he ever comes in is when it's raining and even then it seems like he'd prefer to stay out. He's never been fond of being held, but he's become less interested in us over the past few weeks. He''s about 18 months old and we've had him since January. He's like a little kid that's decided he no longer likes his parents :)

Right now it's cold outside and he's sleeping on the neighbour's chair rather than coming inside and snuggling up where it's warm. Maybe he's just being tempestuous :)

Link to CatChat