Author Topic: Wet FIP  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Wet FIP
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 18:25:49 PM »
Thinking of you both xxx. Grieving for my own beautiful girl too who we lost last week.  My heart aches for you xxx

Offline Captain America

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Cappy
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »
Thank you very much all

Joanna and Tom

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »
 :welcome:  Captain America.  I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  What an awful situation for you.  We know your heart will be broken. 

If you wanted to, you could post a tribute to your gorgeous Cappy in our Rainbow Bridge section.  He was clearly your much loved boy.    Please know that we're all here to support you.  :hug:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »
:welcome: to Purrs Captain America, although I am terribly sorry that it was heartbreak that brought you here  :hug:

Offline Captain America

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Cappy
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 21:46:26 PM »
Hi
Last week we have lost our little Cappy.
Our radgoll was only 10 months old.
He must to had FIP wet (99% sure although no PM have been done) before we took him home as he never been outside or had contact to any other animal.
Virus attacked him very quickly. 
Over the last couple of weeks we have noticed that he was not really bothered about food or play. When we started peeing on the carpet I rang vet to book visit.  He was very fluffy but I could notice that his belly got bigger although he wasn't eating.
Upon visit on Thursday vet told us that he got anemia, temperature and high antibodies level.  His belly contained fluid. 
He gave him antibiotics and said that Cappy have few months left.
He got better on Friday we had hope.
Then on Saturday night he was really off. While having his meal he was grinding his teeth so badly that we have called an emergency vet. His belly got massive in the matter of hours.
Vet told us that due to his young age and the fact that his condition is so advance she recommended that the only thing left to do is to put CAPPY to sleep.   
Heartbroken we put him to sleep that night.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 06:03:40 AM »
I feel for you both. Nothing else to say. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 09:51:35 AM »
Poor Sarah, this is a terrible situation for her.  :(

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 00:20:05 AM »
There is a very information Facebook page re FIP: Poor Fleur  :(

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FIPcare/

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 14:06:54 PM »
I know Sarah is having such a heartbreaking time at the mo due also to only loosing Darlin Murphy she saved off the streets but sadly he was too week with malnutrition.

I know she would sooo appreciate your wonderful emotional support.  :grouphug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 13:53:55 PM »
Thanks  :hug:  It doesn’t sound too good for little Fleur :(

This is Sarah’s latest post (Sarah is a sole rescue with her partner Ray at their home in Bulgaria where there is awful cruelty for cats and a lot of street cats. She moved there from UK and started helping the cats there with TNR with her rescue called Tails of hope.)

I know in Rescue there are as many ups as there are downs but these last few days inputicularly I've been so worried and so constantly stressed over what we should do and about making the right decision for little Fleur..I feel sick to the stomach that whatever I decide to do either way I don't feel good or right about it 😢💔

Yesterday I spent most of the day talking with contacts about getting her the new treatment and I was so close to ordering some last night, even if it was just a couple of vials just to see how she responds..But many say their cats got worse before they got better with the treatment so this isn't really anything to go on..I think you either decide this is the route we will go down or not..And as far as I'm aware because of the fluids wet FIP seems to be more aggressive and much harder to treat than dry..I could be wrong but this is what I'm seeing..
I've read all your wonderful and supportive comments regarding what I should do and more importantly what is in Fleurs best interest and I appreciate them all so very very much 💗

Last November when we were told by Dottie's surgeon that she either has both her back legs amputated or she has to be PTS of course we were devastated and shocked at this outcome but we considered the fact that she was still only a kitten and we were told all her organs were healthy and their was a chance she would adapt well and live a normal and happy life..
Even though I know a few good people couldn't think of how she could live her life like this and thought to have her PTS would be a kinder option for her we decided to go ahead and give her a chance and thank goodness we did because look how well she is doing now ❤️
You wouldn't even know she has a disability..She just goes about her day doing exactly what she wants without any fear or worries..

The point is I'm not one for giving up Ever..
Ray will tell you how strong and stubborn I am and especially when it comes to the cats, I will fight him or anyone that tells me otherwise and I always give my all for them but unfortunately in this case with Fleur we do feel like we are almost certainly plunging into the unknown 😢

Even if she has the 84 days of treatment there is no guarantee she will survive it..
Until last night I started to feel positive to at least try for her but I've read some cases where many cats have died during treatment and some after 84 days of treatment the cat has relapsed..This means the treatment has to continue indefinitely until they could be well or not and could be anything upto another 84 days again 😭
I want to believe it will work, I want with all my heart to save her..She is such a sweetheart and I know she would fit in with the gang without any problems but at which point if she did relapse how can we or when do we give up?

As horrible as it sounds and I hate this word but unfortunately we also have to think about the money 😢
If we were guaranteed that after 84 days of treatment Fleur would be cured without a question of doubt or hesitation we would find the money somehow and absolutely do this..
But what if the treatment has to continue indefinitely?
How many other cats could I possibly find with the same mutated virus and then what do I do?

I have a good friend here who in two separate incidents last year lost two kittens to FIP and now she's treating a third one who has dry FIP but even though he has responded well to treatment she still doesn't know if he will survive 😢

It's not even what if another poorly cat comes along that needs my help, I know this will happen and if there is possible treatment for their injuries or illness then I need to be in a position to help and save it..

For now I will wait for the titer test to come back from Germany which should be very soon..
Fleur is on prednisolone to help with the fever and the fluids will need to be drained..
She is eating good and toileting good and loves me to stroke her and play with her..
FIP is not contagious but Coronavirus is..The Dr told me she will be shedding Coronavirus and although I imagine all of our other cats here will have been exposed to this even before I took them off the streets I don't want them to be overexposed to it as this I believe can cause a flare up of the virus and I can't risk all the others getting ill too..
Until Fleur starts to show any other signs of illness, being uncomfortable, depressed, not eating etc I promise i will continue to love and support her until the time comes with a heavy heart we will have to do what is right for her..

Please...I am so upset and losing sleep over all this and I am still very open to suggestions if there is something else I could possibly do but please also understand that I have a HUGE responsibility not only to little Fleur but to all our other Rescue boys and girls here at home and all the cats that are still out there on the streets needing my daily support and care too..

I hope and pray that one day very soon this new experimental treatment will be tested and proven enough to be recognised as a complete cure for FIP then treatments will become more readily available through our own vet practices and prices will come down to help so many many cats in the future  🙏🙏🙏🙏🐈🐾

Facebook link to her rescue page https://m.facebook.com/TailsofHopeVelikoTarnovo/

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »
Wet FIP is awful, when I lost a cat to it, we tried treating with steroids to slow it down, but I would never do that again, when the diagnosis looks positive, I would PTS immediately
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 16:36:59 PM »
I lost a 5 month old kitten to this horrible disease - he was treated by the Veterinary College in Bristol, but the end is inevitable

it can only be diagnosed for certain by pm though, so other possibilities can sometimes be worth exploring
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 16:24:11 PM »
Sadly, incurable :(.  A friend of mine had two cats from the same litter who both developed this, went downhill rapidly and had to be pts.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Wet FIP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 15:35:16 PM »
Hi everyone  :hug:
Has anyone had any experience with wet fip?

Not for Marley but for a wonderful lady Sarah in Bulgaria who helps as many poor street babes as she can.

:hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat