It doesn’t sound too good for little Fleur
This is Sarah’s latest post (Sarah is a sole rescue with her partner Ray at their home in Bulgaria where there is awful cruelty for cats and a lot of street cats. She moved there from UK and started helping the cats there with TNR with her rescue called Tails of hope.)
I know in Rescue there are as many ups as there are downs but these last few days inputicularly I've been so worried and so constantly stressed over what we should do and about making the right decision for little Fleur..I feel sick to the stomach that whatever I decide to do either way I don't feel good or right about it 😢💔
Yesterday I spent most of the day talking with contacts about getting her the new treatment and I was so close to ordering some last night, even if it was just a couple of vials just to see how she responds..But many say their cats got worse before they got better with the treatment so this isn't really anything to go on..I think you either decide this is the route we will go down or not..And as far as I'm aware because of the fluids wet FIP seems to be more aggressive and much harder to treat than dry..I could be wrong but this is what I'm seeing..
I've read all your wonderful and supportive comments regarding what I should do and more importantly what is in Fleurs best interest and I appreciate them all so very very much 💗
Last November when we were told by Dottie's surgeon that she either has both her back legs amputated or she has to be PTS of course we were devastated and shocked at this outcome but we considered the fact that she was still only a kitten and we were told all her organs were healthy and their was a chance she would adapt well and live a normal and happy life..
Even though I know a few good people couldn't think of how she could live her life like this and thought to have her PTS would be a kinder option for her we decided to go ahead and give her a chance and thank goodness we did because look how well she is doing now ❤️
You wouldn't even know she has a disability..She just goes about her day doing exactly what she wants without any fear or worries..
The point is I'm not one for giving up Ever..
Ray will tell you how strong and stubborn I am and especially when it comes to the cats, I will fight him or anyone that tells me otherwise and I always give my all for them but unfortunately in this case with Fleur we do feel like we are almost certainly plunging into the unknown 😢
Even if she has the 84 days of treatment there is no guarantee she will survive it..
Until last night I started to feel positive to at least try for her but I've read some cases where many cats have died during treatment and some after 84 days of treatment the cat has relapsed..This means the treatment has to continue indefinitely until they could be well or not and could be anything upto another 84 days again 😭
I want to believe it will work, I want with all my heart to save her..She is such a sweetheart and I know she would fit in with the gang without any problems but at which point if she did relapse how can we or when do we give up?
As horrible as it sounds and I hate this word but unfortunately we also have to think about the money 😢
If we were guaranteed that after 84 days of treatment Fleur would be cured without a question of doubt or hesitation we would find the money somehow and absolutely do this..
But what if the treatment has to continue indefinitely?
How many other cats could I possibly find with the same mutated virus and then what do I do?
I have a good friend here who in two separate incidents last year lost two kittens to FIP and now she's treating a third one who has dry FIP but even though he has responded well to treatment she still doesn't know if he will survive 😢
It's not even what if another poorly cat comes along that needs my help, I know this will happen and if there is possible treatment for their injuries or illness then I need to be in a position to help and save it..
For now I will wait for the titer test to come back from Germany which should be very soon..
Fleur is on prednisolone to help with the fever and the fluids will need to be drained..
She is eating good and toileting good and loves me to stroke her and play with her..
FIP is not contagious but Coronavirus is..The Dr told me she will be shedding Coronavirus and although I imagine all of our other cats here will have been exposed to this even before I took them off the streets I don't want them to be overexposed to it as this I believe can cause a flare up of the virus and I can't risk all the others getting ill too..
Until Fleur starts to show any other signs of illness, being uncomfortable, depressed, not eating etc I promise i will continue to love and support her until the time comes with a heavy heart we will have to do what is right for her..
Please...I am so upset and losing sleep over all this and I am still very open to suggestions if there is something else I could possibly do but please also understand that I have a HUGE responsibility not only to little Fleur but to all our other Rescue boys and girls here at home and all the cats that are still out there on the streets needing my daily support and care too..
I hope and pray that one day very soon this new experimental treatment will be tested and proven enough to be recognised as a complete cure for FIP then treatments will become more readily available through our own vet practices and prices will come down to help so many many cats in the future 🙏🙏🙏🙏🐈🐾
Facebook link to her rescue page https://m.facebook.com/TailsofHopeVelikoTarnovo/