Author Topic: Scared cat?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Scared cat?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »
Hi Dean Welcome to Purrs :welcome:

This link may help:  https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=14319.0

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:02:01 AM »
Hi Dean and  :welcome: to Purrs.

Being very fond of animals, I am always slightly upset if a cat, or dog, appears scared of me  :( However, in reality, it is rarely about me per se. Like people, some cats are bold and friendly, others take a while to accept new people. It's great that you want to make friends but it sounds as if Happy is one of the latter kind. You have been given some great ideas here so I thi nk it will just be a matter of time and patience.

Meanwhile, please stay and have a look around the site and join in if you wish.

Please forgive the larger font. We have a member who is visually impaired and this makes it easier for her to read.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 20:18:18 PM by Lyn (Slugsta), Reason: \'cats\' not \'cars\'! »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 07:39:36 AM »

Hello Dean.  Welcome to Purrs.  :welcome:

It can feel really hurtful when any animal appears afraid of us, or reluctant to engage.  Cats are particularly aware of potential change and so may appear more wary.  Although it feels counterintuitive, it's worth just ignoring her altogether.  This may reduce any perceived threat she feels, and allow her to be curious a nd approach you instead.  If Happy seems more willing to approach, you could use Dreamies or Thrive treats which most cats seem to love - just putting one on your knee or an open hand may tempt her to take it.

With some cats, this can be a very slow process.  We have three cats, of which two were semi feral.  Whilst they're now very affectionate with us, we still can't pick them up, so be aware that a touch or stroke may be all that will ever be on offer.  Something many of us have found too is t h at shy cats often feel safer approaching us if we're lying down, so worth trying that too.

Well done for wanting to try, and to be open to winning her friendship.  Too many people jump to wrong conclusions and think "cat doesn't like me/hates me wants to kill me/is jealous" and usually only the last one may hold any grain of truth.

I hope Happy will relax around you and you can enjoy her company too.   :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 06:55:35 AM »

:welcome: to Purrs.

You could always try bribery as well Dean.  Cheese flavoured Dreamies work great with our lot but am sure your girlfriend will know what treats her cat prefers.   

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 00:31:48 AM »
Hi, and welcome Dean, :welcome:

Have you tried using pheromone diffusers such as Feliway or Pet Remedy? There are also Beaphar Calming Spot On, and Zylkene which is added to food, not sure how it works, it's essentially a milk protein, but it does. It stopped inappropriate behaviour between my five.

You can get Pet Remedy as a spray too, put it on your hands and then rub over the cat. It does help.

I hope that's of assistance. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Paula.

Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline dean_1101

• Kitten
  • Slave to: happy
Scared cat?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 00:08:25 AM »
I'm visiting my girlfriend and her cat happy is acting weird like she's afraid and wants to hide and stay away from me

I've tried to stay low keep calm approaching her she has let me pet her but 90% of time it's like she's afraid

What tips have you got to make her less afraid

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Link to CatChat