Author Topic: Cat constipation  (Read 11939 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Cat constipation
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 08:11:03 AM »
That's good news, less stress for both of you
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 00:18:07 AM »
That's really good. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Turnbulll

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Angus & Dougal
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 20:20:07 PM »
He's having 3 meals a day at the moment and he's just ate a full dose in food no problems so it looks like he's sorted, that's more than the last meal, hoping to reduce that per meal too but Yeh we could increase meals if it becomes a problem that would be doable   :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 18:25:44 PM »
Hi, just had a thought, how often do you feed him? If it's only a couple of times a day and he won't tolerate the proper dose over two or three meals, you could try the little and often approach so you could give the whole dose in several goes. Good luck. :crossed:

Of course, that only works if you aren't out at work all day, or, unlike me, you live a two minute walk down the road from work.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 14:43:05 PM »
Fingers firmly crossed this has the desired effect

Offline Turnbulll

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 14:10:43 PM »
He's just took it in food hooray! Honestly he's so fussy he won't even eat cat treats never mind adding anything in his food. Kicking myself for not just trying that first. However it was a tiny dose I gave him so will be trial and error till we figure what he needs and how much he'll take in food.  :thanks:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 13:16:48 PM »
When I had a cat on Lactulose, I put it in her food rather than syringe her, as she was skittish so that wasn't really an option, think she took it most of the time. I'd ask if the Fibre Response would be OK for him, I know it's dry but that is what it is formulated for, and maybe just a small amount a day rather than all the time.
Please spay your cat

Offline Turnbulll

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »
I so want to try the miralax it's always well reviewed for cats but with vet saying no I don't want to go against it, she'd rang up somewhere to investigate it first. He's to have wet only diet not allowed dry at all but I'm going to add sunflower or olive oil to it as that's said to help. Also a bit wary of adding fibre anyway as apparently it's fine for mild cases but can make chronic cases worse. So complicated! Thanks for the links though

Offline Turnbulll

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »
Can I ask what dose that is? My vet has said no to the miralax anyway, apparantly not great for kidneys at his age so still on lactulose. We are still working out doses but I hadn't thought to put it in his food at the dose he's had, it's quite alot I'm sure he'd taste it, I'll give it a try though, and hopefully we can reduce the dose soon anyway.
Thanks

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:16:27 AM by Kay and Penny »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 21:10:59 PM »

Sorry no haven't come across it.   One of our cats Dinah is currently on Lactulose following some kind of tail injury at the start of this year.   She tolerates it fine thankfully.  We just add it to her food.   Do hope you find something that will help your boy  :hug:

Offline Turnbulll

• Kitten
Cat constipation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 14:50:07 PM »
Hi all

Has anyone used miralax powder for constipation and if so did it work well? I can only order from US but have read good reviews, my vet hasn't heard of it but is going to look into it.
If not that then any other tasteless odourless laxative? My cat is on a 3x5ml daily dose of lactulose which he hates, it's a very sticky mess trying to get it down him and I just think there must be a kinder option? He has a damaged bowel which causes severe constipation and has already had 3 enemas in the past, 2 of which they almost gave up on him as it just wouldn't shift. So he needs to be on something reliable. Just wondered if anyone else has a similar problem.

Thanks

Link to CatChat