Author Topic: Fortekor And Persian Cats  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Fortekor And Persian Cats
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 16:55:07 PM »
I'm glad that Oscar is much better  ;D

I don't think I would want to start him back on the Fortekor before your holiday. I always worry about mine being ill when someone else is looking after them.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 13:43:26 PM »

That's such good news, Elizabeth.  I think I would be inclined to leave it too, rather than try again, unless there was any sudden marked deterioration in Oscar's general health (and it doesnt sound like that's the case.)

It's always worrying when you go away, however much you're looking forward to the holiday, and that's magnified when you have oldies to care for.   :shy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 13:31:54 PM »
What are his urea and creatnine levels? It might be that the PKD isn't affecting his kidney function that much and he doesn't need it - one of my old cats was put on it when he had to have his kidney removed as a precaution to help his remaining kidney, but when I changed vets they stopped it and his kidney function actually improved.
Please spay your cat

Offline Elizabeth

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Oscar, Harry, Harvey and Arnie
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 13:09:29 PM »
Hi everyone

Update on Oscar

Well the Fortekor tablets have been out of Oscars system for a week now and he is like a different cat I know he will always have PKD plus the liver cysts
We had an appointment last Saturday with our vet Seamus ( for another of our Persians Arnie who had been limping ) who is the owner of all six surgeries
in Kent I spoke to him about the Fortekor and I said I have read that side effects are rare but he has all these symptoms the same symptoms that are
mentioned in rare side effects Seamus said he had been prescribing them for over 30 yrs yrs with no problems and that it might be Oscars kidneys that
have been the cause of him not being well he told me to leave it about a week and try again At the moment I do not feel at all inclined to try again and
also we are on holiday for a week in just over 3 wks time and my son will be looking after our 4 Persians I always worry about them when we go away
more so than ever now as three of them are "oldies" 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
Thanks for the update Elizabeth, it's good that you have a vet who will take your concerns seriously.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 07:57:10 AM »
Glad the vet didn't dismiss you, I'm really surprised that the other vet put him on Fortekor without doing a blood or a urine test, his kidneys might be functioning fine and not need it yet. What were his kidney values? Good luck with the oralade
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 06:46:18 AM »

So glad the vet took your concerns seriously, Elizabeth.  I hope the Oralade does the trick and Oscar can regain some lost pounds.  Let us know how you get on.   :hug:

Offline Elizabeth

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 22:03:34 PM »
Update on Oscar

Took him to the vet this morning and told our lady vet Corrina I was pretty sure the Fortekor was making Oscar unwell she checked him over and I asked if they had done a blood test when Oscar had his ultrasound last week she checked and said that no he did not have one and he had not had one for a while so she thought it would be a good idea to do one we had to wait for quite a while for the results which came back ok
and negative for Pancreatitis A Facebook friend recommended Oralade which is a rehydrating chicken flavoured liquid with lots of good ingredients so I bought a bottle online and Oscar has had two lots of it today he had his last Fortekor on Tuesday so I expect it will take a while to get him to eat properly again instead of just picking at his food

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 11:45:06 AM »
Thinking about you and Oscar, Elizabeth  :hug:

Offline Elizabeth

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 21:08:51 PM »
Hi Sue

Thank you yes I will let you know tomorrow

Oscar came downstairs about an hour ago like he does when he wants food as he would not touch his normal food I opened a tin of Tuna in spring water I put a little Tuna
with quite a bit of spring water he will normally drink all of the water and have a small amount of tuna this time he just drunk a little of the water I am hoping this is all caused
by the side effects of the Fortekor that I stopped giving him he had the last one Tuesday evening

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 19:52:38 PM »

Let us know how you get on.  I think you're right to raise your concerns with your vet.  It's much better to discuss all possibilities in order to make an I formed decision.  Fingers crossed here.

Offline Elizabeth

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 18:58:49 PM »
Thank you Sue !  I have decided to take Oscar back to the vet tomorrow morning have appt 9am  I stopped giving him Fortekor he had his last 1/2 tablet Tuesday evening I have read
about the so called rare side effects Lethargy no appetite goes to eat and only has about a mouthful Persian cats have a more delicate system that a lot of other cats so we will see
what the vet has to say

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 18:42:31 PM »
Don't worry about the font size, Elizabeth.  It's more important to get your thoughts down on the post,  then those with the necessary  experience can offer it.  Welcome to the forum.  :welcome:  Hello Oscar.   ;D

Offline Elizabeth

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 14:53:37 PM »
Sorry I have tried to change the font size but nothing happened I think I must be doing something wrong

Hi Delsey

My cat had a scan last September as he was having constant dirrohea it showed 50% cysts in his liver I tried to manage without steroids but it got too much and I had to give in to a low dose steroid
but it still was not good as I was giving him Canigest paste as well to control it so the vet put the steroid up to 2mg it was a bit better but another scan was recommended which showed PKD Oscar was
already on Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal food our vet did not want me to try and change his food but because of the kidney problem now she gave me Fortekor I do not have any blood result tests they
are all at the vets
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 11:43:59 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 13:12:31 PM »
I'm sorry to hear your cat has been diagnosed with PKD, unfortunately it is more common in Persian cats. Every drug can have some kind of side effects, but I'm surprised by him initially being put on prednisolone, I've just done a quick google that says treatment isn't normally needed. Did this years ultrasound show a reduction in his liver ones? I'm not sure I'd go down the Fortekor route without blood and urinalysis being done, it generally isn't effective until they are losing protein in the urine. Have they recommended a diet change? Sorry for all the questions!
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 09:48:20 AM »
Hi Elizabeth and  :welcome: to Purrs. What a worry this must be for you! I'm afraid I an't answer your specific question but I'm sure someone more useful will be along at some stage.

Just for your information, one of our members is visually impaired that is why we post in larger font.

Offline Elizabeth

• Kitten
Fortekor And Persian Cats
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:23:51 AM »
Hi

I have just joined the group and would like any opinions on Fortekor My 12 yr old Persian was diagnosed last September with cysts in 50% of his liver he is on a low dose of Prednisolone
and recently the dosage was changed from 2mg to 1mg as he had an ultrasound scan last week and has been found to have PKD ( Polycystic Kidney Disease ) he has 2 cysts in one kidney and 3 in the other
and the vet showed me there are one or 2 shadowy areas which could be more forming Anyway apart from loose bowels he has been ok but the vet wanted to start him on Fortekor 1/2 tablet daily this was
started last Wednesday evening by Sunday evening he didnt seem his usual self and Monday he was a bit lethargic by Tues/Wed he wasnt eating much Tuesday evening he had a bowel movement which was constipated He is still picking at his food although he is brighter in himself and has been going out into the garden I will see how he is today and decide about taking him back to the vet

What I would really like to know is does anyone have a Persian on Fortekor ? If so can you tell me if there was any reaction to it just seems strange to me that he was fine before he had it my vet said there were no side effects but Persians react differently with some things and do have extremely delicate stomachs

Thank you for any help

Link to CatChat