Author Topic: Morning all  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Re: Morning all
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 20:43:08 PM »
Hi :)

Sky is my 15 yr old diabetic girl - there is a really good forum which is generally quite american based but they know their stuff! It's FDMB .  People manage their cats differently - I test Sky for her blood sugars before her insulin.  Liz who is on here doesn't I don't think.  Not to scare you in any way but I have almost lost Sky twice through her having too much insulin - once as a newly diagnosed diabetic when she was prescribed way too much and the other time when I thought she was well regulated so stopped testing.  Sky is very responsive to small changes in dosage so for me the safest way to manage her is to test.

the vet recently has tried to persuade me to go on special diabetic food but I'm not prepared to do it - there is plenty of good food available that are suitable for her. Part of Sky's management is in the food she eats.

Sky is also really laid back and takes all the blood stealing and injections in her stride - they don't bother her at all. 

:need pics:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 19:30:19 PM »
Hi, and  :welcome: to you and Kelso.

Liz has, or has had several diabetic cats, does insulin jabs etc. She will no doubt pick up on this, she really does know the score. :)

Not in my experience, but I'd just like to say a lovely warm welcome to Purrs. ;D

BTW. We need photos of Kelso. :Luv: He sounds very sweet. My five are good at the vets, to the extent that I have had the vet complain that they can't hear the heart over the purr, but I can honestly say I have never, in 50 years of being owned by cats, had one fall asleep on the scales. :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs.

Please forgive the large font. One of our members is visually impaired and this makes it easier for her to read.

I don't have any personal experience with feline diabetes but one of our members, Liz, has a veritable host of cats and has dealt with pretty much every condition thinkable. I will send her in this direction if I ''see' her. Meanwhile, please make yourself at home and enjoy the forum.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »

Morning Kelso Boy - a big warm Purrs Welcome to you and to Kelso (great name by the way).   :welcome:

I don't have any direct experience of diabetes in cats, though my stepdaughter's cat had diabetes from the age of 7, and lived a good many years beyond that with his condition being managed with injections.

Am smiling, because if he's laid back at the Vets, then that's just wonderful.  He sounds gorgeous if he can even convert the "non-cat-people" (of whom I was one, many many years ago now.   :evillaugh:)  Thats the thing about cats.  Once they get under your skin, and into your heart - you're lost.   :Luv2:

Me and hubby are slaves to 3 rescue cats.  Moray - a Norwegian Forest Lookeelikey who is 5 (soon to be 6) and two semi feral gurlies who are soon to be 4 - Barley, a dark tabby with a creampot chin, and malt - a dainty little white and tabby with a pink nose.

Hope you enjoy being a member of the forum, and feel free to post lots more about Kelso, and the other cats you've shared your life with.     

Offline Kelso boy

• Kitten
  • The vet says I’m very laid back 😎
  • Slave to: Kelso
Morning all
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
This is my first post, I joined up coz my Kelso has been diagnosed as diabetic. He is a rescue cat, we were told he was 3 years old when we got him in 2011, making him about 11. I’ve had cats all my life, Kelso is the most laid back, affectionate cat I have ever known. My mum is not a cat person and she adores him, everyone at the vets adores him too. He fell asleep on the vets scales yesterday! I came on here for advice and tips on his condition.

Link to CatChat