Author Topic: spare cash ? sorting coins  (Read 9103 times)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
Re: spare cash ? sorting coins
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 12:52:42 PM »
i thought the asda was also 7% but can't remember correctly but at least you can take the money home with you :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 07:34:02 AM »
Sainsburys give   a voucher to use in the shop !... Grrr typical superstore

Although it says something like that at our Sainsburys. If you take the receipt to the information desk you get the money.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 07:27:04 AM »
At Sainsburys the machine takes about 7p  in the £.

Oops Sorry Mark only just read all the posts.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:35:06 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 19:52:16 PM »
we save up our change and usually once per year we take it to the coin sorting machine at asda..we're always suprised when we get nearly £200 after having estimated we'd have between 80 - 90 quid.  THe machine doesnt take that much commision either so not sure if marks sainsburys has a higher commision rate ?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 18:18:08 PM »
[quote author=Nick (Peanut & Boo) link=topic=4857.msg75134#msg75134 date=1180976450

Sainsburys give   a voucher to use in the shop !... Grrr typical superstore  :censored:
[/quote]

And you have to use it the same day or its worthless  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 18:00:50 PM »
oooooh we don't have anything like that down here in the country lol :innocent:

My house is bigger than our local Co-op  which is why I have eaten sausages and beans every night for the last 3 nights lol.

I just checked and the coin sorter I bought was actually only £15 but it was £12  to ship because its heavy. It has jammed a couple of times due to`foreigners'  it is surprising how many dimes and dinas etc there are in our change .

Sainsburys give   a voucher to use in the shop !... Grrr typical superstore  :censored:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 17:27:56 PM »
I sometimes use the Coinstar machine in Sainsbury's and its amazing how much is there sometimes (even though they charge about 7% commission). There is an option to give to charity (no cat ones   >:( ) or get a voucher to use in the shop.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 17:27:24 PM »
I suppose it is the result of 5 or 6 years of coins but its surprising how soon they build up. I hate carrying coins in my trousers pockets so anything under 50p piece goes in a bowl every day .i don't smoke or eat sweets so  find I aways seem to have lots of change in my pockets. :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 17:23:27 PM »
Wonderful thing to do, I give my coins to the local rescues, but I struggle to get £5 together for them, so wont waste money on one of those gadgets - I saw them in Woolworths though and thought they looked fab.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 15:37:06 PM »
Wow what a great little gadget and what a wonderful thing to do Nick.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Distinguished Cat
spare cash ? sorting coins
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 14:37:47 PM »
thought this might be useful to someone. I have bowls and buckets full of coins around the house . My aim has always been to give it to local cat rehomers or protection  but it just takes soooooooooo long to sort them and then drive 6 miles to change them up . I keep putting it off.

This week I saw a coin sorter on ebay and bought it. I was surprised at how cheap it was £25.00 might seem a lot but when you think this sorts all coins from 1p up to £2.00 all at the same time in seconds it will soon pay for itself. Its really mesmorizing watching it and I found myself doing this instead of watching the TV lol

In about 2 hours I had sorted and bagged all the coins in the picture which surprisingly came to £171.00 !

I have stacks more about the house in various drawers and containers and it is amazing how it adds up . Now I will be able to bag up say £20 of coin every month or so and send some regulary to my local cat charities . :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat