Author Topic: Cats and wills  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Cats and wills
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 13:51:39 PM »

Nothing is foolproof  but having something in place is better than nothing.  We all shy away from thinking of our own mortality but even young, fit and healthy people can be wiped out unintentionally  or unexpectedly.

The best we can do is plan and hope, and make a note of our wishes.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »
There's also the cinnamon trust who take pets in if they are registered with them. They also help with fostering short or long term if you're ill but I don't know if there's an age limit or if it's just for older people

Don't know if it has changed, but when I volunteered for them, it was for older or terminally ill people.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
I can't see any way of guaranteeing a good new home for a cat or cats if their owner dies or cannot look after them any more - surely all the rescues, such as CP and Cinnamon Trust, can only rehome if they can find someone to take them or at the very least a fosterer - I know in my neck of the woods that would be a tall order, as CP only  have three pens in two very large counties

If a decent sum of money is left for a new owner I can't see either who could police the arrangement - my family executors live too far away to be able to keep in contact with anyone who did come forward

I think personally the only realistic way  forward as I get older is to limit myself to only  one cat, and when she is gone to only take on another oldie, so at least if I'm no longer around there would only be one cat to  try to rehome, and if the worst came to the worst only one oldie to pts

another possibility is to have one pedigree cat, which would be easier to rehome, and many breeeds have rescue arrangements themselves
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 12:26:32 PM »
There's also the cinnamon trust who take pets in if they are registered with them. They also help with fostering short or long term if you're ill but I don't know if there's an age limit or if it's just for older people

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 19:29:01 PM »
I really should put some thought into this, with 3 'awkward' cats. I do have a card on the fridge, my vets were giving them away, they have a section for next of kin, and a section for your pets, one line for name and one for medications/conditions - there is space for 3, I should update it now. And as it is from the vets, their contact details are also on. Might ask for another one and have that in my purse.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 15:13:48 PM »
Hi Rob

Yes, I can understand your reticence about CP, as I felt similarly disposed towards the RSPCA, but there is no immediate family that we would trust the care of our three to, so we had to look further afield, and we hadn't many options.

These links may help.

https://www.cats.org.uk/get-involved/support-us/cat-guardians/faq-cat-guardians

https://www.funeralzone.co.uk/blog/who-will-look-after-my-pet-when-i-die

Offline thomas2006

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Thomas & Harry
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 15:00:03 PM »
Good afternoon all
I'm not a techy forum person so forgive my slow response to your advice, which is very welcome.
I was hoping to avoid CP as i have worked for the charity in the past and found them most wasteful. If they have changed in recent years then i will reconsider.
There is noone to answer these type of calls at the weekend and i cannot find info on their website. What i would like is assurance that all treatment and prescription diets are continued.
I basically want to set up a trust where they are looked after like i do until ...
I have spoken to the insurance company and they have confirmed this can be transferred.
As it stands with presciption food, insurance, etc. they cost about £190 per month.
I don't want these overheads to put off a loving owner.
Does anyone have a link to the CP website re matching.
Again thank you xx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
I carry in my handbag a laminated card giving my address, details of next of kin, where I keep a doorkey in the shed, and who to contact in regard to my cat in case of an accident out of the home

So, if someone steals your handbag they could get into your house?

true - I must admit I don't think much about any sort of crime where I live, in very rural West Wales - I really don't think there is any chance of someone grabbing my bag during the day in the places I go to, as long as I don't leave it out of immediate sight
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 11:16:26 AM »
I carry a card in my wallet saying that I have cats at home and giving the number of a 'cat sitting' service we have used. They would step in to cover in an emergency.

I will admit that I haven't really thought about securing the cats' future  :-[ OH has promised that he will let them live out their natural lives with him if I should go first. However, we need plans in case we both go together. Our only offspring is highly allergic and couldn't take them on, even if he wanted to  :(

I think my first step will be to discuss with BFF. She has 3 of her own, so I wouldn't be asking her to take mine too, but might well have already thought about this.

Leaving a letter saying that no-one gets anything until cat futures are secured is a really good idea!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 00:28:08 AM »
I carry in my handbag a laminated card giving my address, details of next of kin, where I keep a doorkey in the shed, and who to contact in regard to my cat in case of an accident out of the home

That is a very good point. I keep my detail via my driving license in my wallet, but that is on a chain, not the keys, they are in a separate pocket obviously, we don't have hidden keys. But a key fob detailing My Cats Are At Home, and the window stickers are brilliant. I did have to alter them slightly from My Cat Is At Home to My 5 Cats are At Home with a permanent marker.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 23:40:15 PM »

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 21:43:04 PM »

We have set aside a certain amount for each animal in our care at our death.  The total is referred to as "the animal fund" purely for our pets and our executors are allowed to distribute this amongst animal charities and others at their discretion. 

The letter refers to a list in our letter rack that gives details of current animals ages, health issues etc and originating rescues.

We have then each drawn up a letter of wishes that is kept with our Wills advising executors who we suggest they contact and how we would wish the animal fund to be used. 

They are also advised it is our wish that no one benefits from a penny until our pets have been found properly checked forever homes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 21:46:43 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:01:48 AM »
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »

It's so good that you're thinking about this, and wanting to get something in place to cover all eventualities.  Like Paula, I registered our three with Cats Protection, but I also inserted a clause in our Wills which refers to the arrangements we wish to have made for any cats which survive us.  That way anyone who is administering your Will, will be aware of your arrangements.

And, welcome to Purrs.   :welcome:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 06:42:38 AM »
We have a clause in our will covering any cats in our care at the time but a letter of intent kept with it giving instructions for the cats we have now paulas way sounds more straightforward!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 23:38:43 PM »
Cats Protection have a scheme where if you predecease your cats they will be taken in, you also get a key fob for in the event of an accident and a sticker for the door that tell emergency services that they are in your home, my five are registered with them, just in case.

I hope that helps.

And a very warm  :welcome: to Purrs.

Paula.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline thomas2006

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Thomas & Harry
Cats and wills
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 21:28:19 PM »
Not sure if I'm posting or looking in the correct section, but I need some advice to sort this out. There is noone I can leave the two lovelies to and want to make sure their futures are taken care of should they outlive me. I can provide more information, but want to be sure I'm not repeating a topic that's covered elsewhere.
Thank you x

Link to CatChat