Author Topic: What are thoughts on neutering cats?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
Re: What are thoughts on neutering cats?
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 08:29:46 AM »
to be honest I think it improves the lot of male cats, they are much more relaxed and chilled out without sex on their mind!  and yes they will pee on everything to prove they are the boss as well

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 21:12:36 PM »
Sometimes it takes a few months for the testosterone levels to drop, but the Rascal, good name for a cat, by the way, should become more sociable to other felines and humans alike. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline catcafe

• Kitten
    • Cat Cafe
  • Slave to: Lillim
Re: What are thoughts on neutering cats?dogs neith
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 16:02:09 PM »
I absolutely agree, you're right about everything guys, I get it, if you don't plan for your male or female cat to breed then best is to take precautions to avoid all the problems that you mentioned. Regarding Rascal, I'm not sure how to explain it, maybe it's just my weird point of view so nevermind that. So cats still can be affectionate to cat counterparts and people after operation? If so then it's allright ;)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Absolutely not lecturing, just passionate about the subject, for the reasons that've been outlined. 

I don't think that cats are particularly enamoured of their equipment in the same way that men might be.  :shify:  They just have the overriding urge to procreate, which leads them into dangerous territory.  As Paula has indicated, a man who went round sexually targeting every woman that he came across, willing or otherwise, to satisfy his testosterone would  find himself in serious trouble very quickly.

I wouldn't advocate unprotected sex either, but not because I want to emasculate my male friends who might like their equipment to function unsheathed and in all its primal glory.  :nawty:   I just don't think it's great for the health of a sexually active individual if they're enjoying multiples of partners, which is what all unneutered cats do.  They generally have a much shorter lifespan than their neutered counterparts, as a result. 

When you say Rascal wasn't the same afterwards, what were the main differences in his behaviour?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 21:40:02 PM »
I am so sorry, I didn't and I am sure the others didn't mean to lecture either. We have just dealt with the fallout from un-neutered cats. It has honestly nothing to do with us being female and you male. The only thing we are concerned about is the general welfare of the cats.

It's true, a neutered male cat will quite often have a change of temperament, becoming more of a homebody, more affectionate, less prone to wander etc. It also means that they are a lot less likely to spray to mark their territory, and it does pong, and is hard to get shot of.

They are far more likely to have a longer life span as well.

I am assuming that you don't feel the urge to spray to mark your territory, mate with any available female who happens to be in season, spread disease through fighting or sexual contact etc.? We differ to cats or most other  animals in many ways. These are just a few.

I don't think myself superior to any other animal, we're just mammals after all, but we do know about and think through consequences, (sometimes)  :naughty:

You are very welcome here. It sometimes helps for us to talk to other people who aren't singing from the same hymn sheet.

Take care Honey,

Paula xxx

Offline catcafe

• Kitten
    • Cat Cafe
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 21:23:02 PM »
Wow wow, so many replies and all from...females :o Yes, I'm a man and I love my penis and balls and am very proud of them, which is also why my approach to this matter is emotional. Thank you for welcoming and lecturing me ;) My girlfriend's parents sent off "Rascal" for castration, because he was peeing on furniture, he's never been the same since then :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 15:21:30 PM by catcafe »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 01:43:31 AM »
My great grandmother had thirteen pregnancies to her abusive, alcoholic husband before she died, aged thirty seven. Seven of her children survived, as did a a single, beautiful glass negative photographic image.

Decades later, I chose both celibacy and prescribed medication to remain child free by choice (CFBC), as is my favourite aunt.

My little neice was the happiest of results of a lengthy,  loving relationship/ marriage and of  IVF. She could not have been more wanted or adored by three generations above her. I am crying just typing that paragraph!

I struggle to draw parallels with domestic pets.

:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 00:41:59 AM »
My approach is to TRY to learn from those who have way more experience and, arguably, way more loving going on! :Luv2:  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

IMO the Purrs regulars LOVE, laugh, cry, cringe, swear, suggest, give a #*&*, LIVE the rescue life 24/7.. So when THEY, in unison, say straight something needs to be done ....... that is rare indeed.

I invite any reader to simply read back on this forum for a few hours. You will see the support, passion, graft, knowledge, LOVE, s%$t and giggles for yourself. Then maybe join the madness? :welcome::

Switched-on people research, ask their veterinarian, choose wisely without silly trolls.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 00:49:57 AM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Loups

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 01:25:06 AM »
I've been on many forums over the years and my first thought was "troll alert!"

But on the offchance it's a real person, I have to agree with all of the above. I rescued my two girls from a house where they were not looked after. They and their Mum were part of about 10 cats that had been left to get on with it whilst their "owner" ignored them. They were left outside as little kittens at this time of year! They're both inbred; they've got the tell-tale kink in the end of their tails. I love them with all of my heart and did not want them to go through what their Mum did so as soon as they started showing signs of sexual maturity I had them down the vet. I did the same with my boys.

The guys above have given all the info on what happens if you don't neuter and they know way more than I do! I'm just giving you info from the point of view of a person owned by cats.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 14:54:52 PM »
its always men!  still as cat sex involves a barbed penis and a bite on the back of the neck I'm sure most females of any species would have the same opinion!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 14:41:40 PM »
The only reason I didn't assume the OP was a troll was that a taxi driver who took me to the vet on friday said much the same thing. He thought it was cruel to neuter/spay and that they should be allowed to have sex. Naturally, I gave him a mini-lecture!  :innocent:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
 :rofl: rosells, gotta say I assumed a troll but if it was hats off to them for getting the phrase sexual being in, got to be a first  :naughty:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 20:47:31 PM »
It's always nice to welcome new male members  :welcome:

:innocent:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:18:11 AM »

I have to agree with all of the pros for neutering.  It doesn't diminish the lives of cats.  Far from it.  As Paula has already mentioned, this isn't in any way "having a go" but this forum knows from the very sharpest of sharp ends the consequences of not neutering, ranging from sick and abandoned cats and kittens to feline leukemia and flv infections from cat bites through fighting.  It's heart breaking.

It might be an idea to ask to help out at a shelter for a while, so you can get a feel for this at the "busy" end.  They would be very grateful for the help and you'd get a good idea of what goes wrong when people choose not to neuter.

I hope we can persuade you to look into this further. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 23:43:20 PM »
Looking at it from a health perspective, if females are spayed young they are no longer at risk of uterine/womb cancers or of mammary cancers as the hormones aren't there, as well as the risks to life span from constant breeding leaching calcium from bones etc, added UTI's, and as mating often involved biting hard enough to pierce skin, FIV, FELV also transmitted to unborn kittens.

Unneutered Toms fight over Queens in season, spreading both aforementioned viruses.

We are not attacking you, but you have come onto a forum where most of us have rescues/strays/ferals and we are dealing with the ongoing health problems from unregulated breeding.

My Merlin was an unneutered Tom before he was rescued, his immune system is compromised. He is FIV, he is only 5 but he has had to have most of his teeth removed, gingivitis due to FIV,  he has to have eye drops due to FIV. Because he is now in a loving home that will provide all vet treatment as necessary, he has a good chance at a long and happy, comfortable life free from pain as opposed to a short life with a miserable ending as a disabled stray. He fought his way out of a snare, now there is a cause you could get behind! He is missing the pads of his left forefoot and limps.

There is also the inbreeding within colonies, my Pirate is an example of that, he is called Pirate as one eye orbit is too small, his third eyelid is permanently across one eye, so he is partially sighted, he is missing one ear flap and his tail is curled.

If you are truly interested in the welfare of the cats, it would be in your interest to research the effects on those unneutered ones before postulating their rights as sexual beings.

I am not trying to be aggressive, although this is a subject I feel strongly about, I just ask that you do some research first. Please. :hug: :hug: :hug:

You are probably quite young and passionate, and I applaud that, but please, just choose your battles carefully, with the good of the cats at the forefront, that is all I ask. Please.

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 21:37:41 PM »
ALL CATS SHOULD BE NEUTERED AS SOON AS OLD ENOUGH

IF NOT ARE YOU GOING TO LOOK AFTER ALL THE KITTENS, DONT EXPECT RESCUES TO THE JOB FOR YOU

CATS CAN BREED FROM SIX MONTHS OR YOUNGER SO THINK OF THE EXPLOSION, MOTHER HAS SIX KITTENS WHO ALL BREED AT SIX MONTHS HAVING SIX KITTENS AND ON AND ON

EXTREMELY BAD FOR THE CATS AND THE HUMANS

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 21:25:18 PM »
Picking up the pieces from un-neutered kittens having kittens at 6 months the constant calling, dripping blood, the dangers of FIV from any un-neutered boy getting near them you obviously have no idea of the damage that can be caused

I have picked up so many litters during my time in rescue, loved and lost kittens from inbreeding boys don't care if it is a litter mate or their mother

Seriously they need spayed and neutered - my rescue work is across Pedigree, domestic and feral and some of the pictures in my mins eye will haunt me to the end of my own life
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 21:06:08 PM »
I'm afraid I disagree with you. I don't think it is in a female cat's best interest to be permanently pregnant, not for a male cat to be wandering and fighting.

Offline catcafe

• Kitten
    • Cat Cafe
What are thoughts on neutering cats?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 22:53:39 PM »
Personally I think it's cruel and cats should be able to live to their fullest because its a sexual being like all of us. What is your approach?

Link to CatChat