Author Topic: Fur loss at vaccination site  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
Re: Fur loss at vaccination site
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 23:46:13 PM »
Thanks everyone

Rosella: It's not bothering him as far as I can tell.  He's been a bit low key this week (again, I suspect the FeLV booster) but he's just scoffed his supper so seems on the up again.  Feeling for a lump was the first thing I did.  I found one on Eleanor after her second "initial" vaccination but it turned out it was her chip :phew: - she was a lot skinnier then.

Liz & Kay: so far no sign of abscess or scabs but I am keeping a close eye on him.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 22:17:26 PM »
Sorry Frances, I can't help as I have never had the problem, I hope that the loss of fur doesn't increase and does grow back. They inject Pirate further up his neck than the others because he has a bald patch there from an abscess there from when he was a stray/feral.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 00:52:21 AM by Judecat (Paula), Reason: spelling »
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 22:09:53 PM »

Noni developed a lump following felv jab so I stopped it years ago.  Everyone else have been fine with it.

Our Bob developed similar bald patch from Stronghold flea treatment.  Took up to a month to clear up but obviously not same forr James.  Poor lad.  Is it bothering him Frances?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 21:47:20 PM »
Tiffany had this with the triple vaccine. Each year the bald area got bigger and scabbier, though it didn't seem to bother her. After 4 years my vet declined to continue vaccinating her.
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 20:07:53 PM »
OH DEAR THAT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD.

MINE NEVER HAD THAT VAC

I HOPE IT IMPROVES

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 19:52:30 PM »
We have Onyx Mau who has this problem with injections we have to move them round his body so to speak, his bald spot abscessed badly so do watch out for it x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
Fur loss at vaccination site
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 17:45:14 PM »
I took my three for their boosters and check-up on Monday.  They normally only have the Tri-cat but James was also given FeLV in error.  He’s has had FeLV before without problems; I stopped it once he got to 8 years old (ish).

On Tuesday I notice a small (2mm) “dot” of hair loss but by Wednesday this had increased.  It’s not sore/inflamed and there is no lump.  He hasn’t had any spot-on treatment in the area for at least three months.

I sent photos to the vet who checked with Noah for adverse reactions and this wasn’t included.  She has reported it to the manufacturers and I am doing watchful waiting.

Today, Friday, the area of hair loss has increased and a second patch has appeared.

Christopher and Eleanor had Tri-cat only at the same time and do not have same problem.  I suspect this may be a reaction to something in the FeLV injection.

Has anyone else seen a similar reaction to a booster injection, either Tri-cat only and/or FeLV?

Link to CatChat