Author Topic: Don't fence me in - In memory of Chi Bear  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Don't fence me in - In memory of Chi Bear
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 18:45:26 PM »

No.  You never forget.   :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 18:08:06 PM »
One month today, Bear. One month coincides with the winter solstice.

There was a beautiful rainbow yesterday. And the moon is almost full and has that wonderful smudged effect.

I miss you. I love you. Always.

(It's important to mention the other Posse and Mob members I'm missing at this time of year. I love you all. And the little critters too, I don't forget them.)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 01:23:10 AM »
SORRY I THOUGHT I HAD POSTED ON THIS THREAD

SO PLEASED CHI IS BACK WITH YOU, IT MAKES SUCH A DIFFERENCE AND SASA IS BY MY SIDE

I AM SURE THEY WILL MEET ON THE BRIDGE AND EXCHANGE TALES OF NOMADIC WANDERINGS

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 23:21:34 PM »
Thanks Lyn.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 21:02:02 PM »
  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 15:01:15 PM »
Sheila, you've no idea how much that post made me smile. I adored that boy. Every jaunt terrified me, every return instilled the belief that he wanted to be here. I miss him so much. Yesterday it was two weeks to the day and I coped especially badly.

I'm trying to remember that when he could see I was unhappy, he used to talk to me to try and calm me. He wouldn't want me to be as raw as I'm feeling. But that takes time. Because the absence is so...there.

Thank you. For honouring my boy. He'd have liked that, I think.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 22:01:22 PM »
Sending hugs for you. I named one of our rescue kittens after him last year, so impressed was I by his stoic independence and fortitude. Her new owner loved it so she embellished and calls her baby Chi Spirit. I know Chi Bear had everything his heart desired with you, Shonagh. His bolshy cavalier attitude to love and security are reflected in my 14 year old Theo Wallcat who will not be contained, even at this stage of maturity. We respect everything and expect nothing. That’s just the way it is with some cats. I’ve been with you in each and every “missing” post, willing him home and puffing with relief when he, inevitBiy, sauntered Back home with That Swagger. I’ll miss him, but will celebrate his style. Go find your. Ew adventure, Chi Bear. We’ll be along presently xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 16:39:14 PM »
Today we got to go and get Bear's ashes and bring them home. It makes things feel more real to some degree. I always talked about wanting him home when he went for his jaunts, but I so want to feel that hope and the relief when he'd reappear.

It's so painful to know he'll never drive me mad and make me worry that way again. It's an odd feeling.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
I read this yesterday, and it made me cry. Chi was a type of cat I'd never encountered before and every time he went on his walkabouts it terrified me. But the idea of letting my fear decide an aspect of his life that he clearly enjoyed was bigger.

The other cats are definitely missing him too, we all are. Thank you all for your words of support, they are appreciated.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:37:41 AM »

You honoured the very essence of who Chi was - he loved his outdoor access, and his desire to explore.  You saw that in him, and didn't seek to change it.  You took him on his terms, and you showered him with affection.  The most telling thing about your relationship with Chi, is that eh kept coming home.  Because that's what you were - home.   :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 07:22:07 AM »
I AGREE, YOU  LET CHI HAVE THE NOMADIC LIFE HE WANTED :hug: :hug: :hug:

THINKING OF YOU ALL :hug:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 15:21:58 PM »
I am so very sorry for your loss.
Play well at the bridge Chi Bear x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 13:38:36 PM »
I'm so sorry you are back under such sad circumstances Shonagh, it's so much harder to accept when it is unexpected. We all know what you are going through, and are here for you.  :hug: :hug:RIP Chi
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
I'm struggling. Quite a lot.

I was often asked if I was going to keep Chi as an indoor cat after yet another of his jaunts sent me into increasingly more intense panic. The consideration was fleeting; he loved to be outside in summer. It would have solely been for me to feel reassured, not for him. And he mattered more.

There's a space in our family. The other cats are clingier and subdued. He was such an absolute star of a cat, and I can't say how odd it feels without him here.

Thank you for the beautiful words.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:43:53 AM »
Oh Shonagh.  I'm so terribly sad to hear this news  :'(  What an awful shock it must have been to receive that call.

Chi Bear was such a very special boy  :catluv: You allowed him his frequent wanderings despite the enormous worry this caused you over the years but he really valued his freedom did that boy  :hug: :hug:

RIP sweet darling angel Chi  :blow kiss:

Both me and Noni send our love Shonagh xxx

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 22:47:05 PM »
I am so sorry that your beloved boy must now continue his journey without you - and you without him. I know that your heart is breaking and nothing I can say will help that - but, in time, the memories will bring smiles rather than tears.

Goodbye Chi Bear, run free at the Bridge sweet boy.

I am so sorry for your loss Shonagh, I couldn't put it better than Lyn and Sue, be good to yourself Honey, you did everything you could for Chi. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 20:57:23 PM »
I am so sorry that your beloved boy must now continue his journey without you - and you without him. I know that your heart is breaking and nothing I can say will help that - but, in time, the memories will bring smiles rather than tears.

Goodbye Chi Bear, run free at the Bridge sweet boy.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 19:34:59 PM »
OH SHONAGH , I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR YOU LOST BEAUTIFUL CHI :hug:

CAN IMAGINE IT HAS BEEN A TOTAL SHOCK AND AM VERY MUCH THINKING OF YOU :hug:

I THINK CHI WAS BORN UNDER A WANDERING STAR BUT HE LOVED TO COME HOME :hug:

YOUR BOY WILL CONTINUE HIS WANDERS ON THE OTHER SIDE NOW AND AM SURE WILL DROP IN FROM TIME TO TIME :hug:

SENDING BIG HUGS :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 18:08:17 PM »
I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR OF CHIS LOSS AND SEND YOU MY CONDOLENCES IN THIS HARD TIME RIP CHI MUCH LOVED

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 15:30:55 PM »

Shonagh, am so sorry to learn of Chi's loss.  I know how very very special he was to you, and what a gaping hole this will leave in your lives.

"Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please
Don't fence me in......"

So apt for your little wandering minstrel.  Hey Chi - remember to look in on your Mum from time to time.  She loves you, and will miss you more than words can say.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Don't fence me in - In memory of Chi Bear
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 14:09:05 PM »
I haven't posted on Purrs in some time, but it felt wrong not to acknowledge the passing of my Little Romany on here. He had a rough year, stress cystitis, a dental and then hyperthyroidism that he received radiotherapy for. But he was recovering and making good progress, so this is still a huge shock.

On 23rd November Chi Bear was taken to the vets first thing in the morning with a suspected infection or possible blockage. The vets called and updated regarding procedures that would be needed and treatment administered to ensure he had a little comfort.

At 12:55 that day, I received the call that despite seeming to improve after five minutes checks which had progressed to ten minutes, the veterinary nurse had gone in to find Chi had passed away. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

I can’t begin to put in to words how I’m feeling right now. Because honestly, I’m feeling numb and overwhelming sadness simultaneously. I’m not entirely sure how that’s possible.

Chi has taught me so much. He has given me infinitely more than I gave him. And my life was better for him being a part of it.

I already miss him, and knowing I’ll never hear him chirruping his updates when he comes in from the garden again is tremendously painful.

Chi, the love will always be there. As will the lessons. Thank you for choosing me to be your family. I think it’s possibly one of the biggest honours I’ve ever had. You truly were a gent among cats.<3

Link to CatChat