Author Topic: Osteoarthritis: winter care?  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Osteoarthritis: winter care?
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 13:35:26 PM »
I’m glad giving you advice has helped the situation a bit, but please don’t feel like this is your only option – I had two options with Lucy, ironically the reason I went for acupuncture first is that I didn’t think she would tolerate it, so wanted to get it out of the way, I honestly expected to have to go down the Cartrophen route. If she has a bony lump, I would go down the x-ray route, in case it is something other than standard arthritis. I did a home visit last year, they had laser therapy done on their dog, but it was too far to contemplate for Lucy. They raved about it though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »

Definitely better to be comfortable than sharply dressed.   :)  :hug:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 20:17:13 PM »
And her fur is messy near her tail today.  :'(
Once she is in less pain and more relaxed ask your various vets if they/their vet nurses can clip out any matts.  Tell Lulu it's better to be comfortable than pretty ;).

I have a long-haired wriggly tripod who cannot reach part of her back end and needs two pairs of hands to unknit her knots plus I'm looking after a long-haired arthritic older boy who also can't reach his back end and hides in a box at the sight of grooming implements :hairrasin:.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 19:14:26 PM »
Have you thought of laser therapy?

http://www.northernlasertherapy.com/about-us and on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/northernlasertherapy/

I know it's not ideal as they are more Lancashire than Bradford but maybe there is a similar one near you?

Edited - a Bradford vet - https://www.towerwoodvets.co.uk/complementary-treatments/k-laser-therapy/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 19:19:35 PM by Sootyca »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 17:13:00 PM »
Thanks both of you.  :hug: My brain is a muddle of positive and negative thoughts about the entire situation. You are helping me keep some of them in proportion. And a less stressy, less scared Fire Fox is better for Lulu.  :shy: So good to read that your two furbabies are proving there is life after meloxicam!

She hissed at me again, this time when I stroked her other hip/ thigh area. As she did a couple of weeks ago. That is the side with a little bony lump on the back of her pelvis (present since she was a limping stray). Three areas of damaged painful joints and/ or three areas of tense painful muscles. And her fur is messy near her tail today.  :'(

The acupuncture HAS to help her. It just has to. We need options ON the table not OFF. We will go to both acupuncturists and a hypnotist so Lulu feels the placebo effect if needs be!  :evillaugh: We are registered at the new practice now, but the needle lady is off until Monday. Lulu has a follow-up appointment with the regular vets next Wednesday IF I don't take her before.

See I was a bit tearful when I started this post but I am not now. Thanks so much Frances and Desley.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 13:49:11 PM »
That price seems around right – mine charge £45 per session, initially you have to book a block of 4, as it can take that to get the full effect – I sometimes get longer than the 20 mins, vet sometimes gets distracted doing something else! Lucy is one of her worse acupuncture patients, but I figure that while she does nothing more than growl and swear, we can live with that. She’s having a session next Tue, try and get 6 weeks between, but sometimes I can tell by her walking that she needs it earlier, this will be the last of the year, which means I have to pay for the next lot.
Please spay your cat

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 17:46:10 PM »
One of my cats has acupuncture as he completely refused to take Metacam :-:.  He has arthritis mainly in his front legs after being hit by a car before he went into rescue.  He wasn’t showing any obvious symptoms such as limping or unwillingness to jump up/down but I did have his legs x-rayed while his was under having a dental and they are quite bad. 

He has taken to the treatment really well and just sits and purrs until it’s over.  I hope that Lulu takes to it too and she gets some benefit from it.

I pay £52.80 for 20 minutes and he currently goes every six weeks.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 17:29:12 PM »
 Forgot that I intended to post the cost I have been quoted, in case it helps someone else in future!   :doh:

Practice one is £48 per twenty minutes acupuncture.

Practice two is £53 for the initial assessment, then £26 per ten minute acupuncture session. Website says treatments are usually twenty minutes, so £52.

Having read a little online about each practice and each named veterinarian, I have approached practice one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:51:59 AM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 16:23:01 PM »
Lulu is having her third 'off day' within a week.   :'(  The meloxicam is helping somewhat, just not enough on it's own. She is skidding about and jumping up and down to the window much as usual, but yelped when jumping onto the sofa arm earlier and has hissed at me on each 'off day'. My poor baby must be having some nasty twinges. :(

Does not help that the planned environmental changes are two steps forward and three steps back. Much of Lulu's world (concrete floor/ big metal windows) is as cold and hard as ever.  :-[ Heated furry blanket is in the wash - has to drip dry from sodden! - and I have ordered all sorts of substitutes in desperation. Lulu has retired to the laundry basket in disgust.

On a much more positive note I heard back from both of the veterinary practices that offer acupuncture, and the referral e-mail has been sent to one of them today. 8) I have been reading SkeptVet's Acupuncture Adventure to get prepared.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 16:25:53 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 21:45:04 PM »
We are in Bradford, West Yorkshire, Desley. The city vet practices focus on core, conventional veterinary care. Practices in suburbia and the outlying commuter villages are much more likely to offer complementary or holistic veterinary treatments or services.

The interwebz suggests we have two options for veterinary acupuncture a taxi ride away. One looks more promising than the other.  Lulu has been on YuMove Advance 360 since July, which supplies a fairly low dose of fish oils and green-lipped mussel. Thinking of going rogue to get more for less!  :sneaky: Much more reading required first tho.

Thanks Paula and Sue. Appreciate having so many looking out for my little monkey! :Luv2:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 21:49:20 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 13:48:15 PM »
Glad the vet visit wasn’t as bad! I have to say, I’ve had quite a few arthritic cats over the years, and have never been offered a steroid injection before, they have all started with Metacam, and then used supplements. I’m not a fan of long term Metacam use, which is part of the reason Lucy has acupuncture, the other being she refuses to eat food with Metacam, and she isn’t the best at medicating orally. Personally, I would be tempted to do x-rays as she is young, just in case it shows it isn’t just arthritis. Whereabouts do you live?
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »

Poor Lulu.  But am glad that on the whole she's been bouncier and in less pain.  I agree with your thoughts on the corticosteroids.  That's a "keep it on the back burner" option. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 20:54:01 PM »
Everything crossed that a workable solution can be found for Lulu. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 18:31:57 PM »
Thanks Desley.  :)

I am on the library computer so my phone does not eat my post (again!)

Lulu has had no further bad days, in fact she has been bouncing around and generally demonstrating how happy and healthy she is. :shify:

However this afternoon, much to her surprise as I bundled her swiftly from bed to box, we had an appointment with the vet she has seen before. He had her down on the floor and watched her slink low around the edges of the room and 'hide' in open corners. When examined she was tense and didn't want anything touched (eg. ears/ mouth), but hissed at the vet when pressing her lumbar spine and one hip. Thankfully it wasn't the same awful howl as on her first visit back in the Spring!

The vet noted how few medications are suitable for cats, and wants to try oral meloxicam again before considering a corticosteroid injection. I know the corticosteroid can increase breakdown of the cartilage, and she seems so young to take that risk. I asked about Lulu's suitability for veterinary acupuncture and he said would be happy to do a referral. Apparently not all request x-rays so he suggested waiting and potentially avoid the anaesthetic. A follow up appointment has been booked for three weeks time.

Overall somewhat stressful on both sides, but the best that could be expected! 8) My next task is finding a veterinary practice that offers acupuncture, that is fairly quiet and a straightforward journey away (ideally in a taxi). There is a decent chunk of money set aside for whatever Lulu needs: that still leaves enough money for the more pressing repairs/ replacements at home.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 18:33:49 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 08:21:29 AM »
The downside of acupuncture is that not all vets can do it, as the course is rather expensive, so you will need to check yours can do it and you won't be sent to a different place - although to be fair, Lucy ended up going to a referral practice one month as the vet had injured herself, and they have a separate section, forget it's name now, but it has hydrotherapy and stuff in it, so the lighting is different, and as the consultation room is only used for acupuncture, it isn't set up like a normal one, even the lighting was dimmed. It did cost nearly twice as much as acupuncture at my normal vet though! If she is insured, you may find it will be covered, Lucy's is. They start off with a 4 week course, then it depends on the cat, when she was eating her supplements, we could get 6-7 weeks between appointments. Cartrophen is the same, once a week for 4 weeks, then depends on the cat. Yes, Lucy would much rather not go to the vet that often, but you can tell when she needs it by the way she walks, so a bit of stress once a month is worth it, having arthritis myself, I know how painful it can be, and hers is in both hips
Please spay your cat

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 20:50:12 PM »
Thanks again Sue and Desley.  :hug:

I am open minded to acupuncture with the 'right' vet or the 'right' practice. Although Lulu is nervous, she can slowly build relationships with gentle professionals (cattery, one of the vets). Anything that is effective and safe for long term use ... It is encouraging to read that a session once a month is beneficial to Lucy.  ;D Did she have a more intensive course of acupuncture initially?

Today Lulu has been playful and purr-ful! But I now realise the time has come to take the next steps with the vet. You lovely lot are helping me to focus more on the potential benefits than the potential upsets.  :thanks:
Lulu's Catbook

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 08:20:21 AM »
Bless Lulu! My Lucy has arthritis and dodgy hips, she hates Metacam, and is hit and miss on supplements, so she has monthly acupuncture - I honestly didn't think she'd tolerate it, but apart from telling the vet she isn't happy, she accepts it. If that hadn't worked, I was going to go down the Cartrophen route, which is a glucosamine based injection, we used that for my last cat as he was prone to bladder infections, so it helped both. There are also foods you can get with glucosamine/chondroitin in, my vet uses that for her arthritic cat
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »

Cats.   :innocent:  who'd have 'em?

The good thing Is, it sounds like you're doing all the correct things for Lulu.  Growing older is no fun.  Having arthritic joints myself I know how grumpy I can get.   >:(

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 20:30:16 PM »
 :thanks: very much for your support Sue and Misa and Heather. I will ask if we can add another supplement.

Some negative and some positive developments.

Lulu has been on and off the heated throw and my legs/ lap since I posted. Her coat is not well groomed above and around her tail, and she is not purring, and hissed at me. So she has been in pain today my poor baby. ;(

Her carrier was the largest one I could find for 6kg Bridge-baby Noah, top opening which the vets have used as you suggest, Sue. :hug: I have not got the knack, so I was training Lulu to eat in it with the top open, but that went to pot when I hurt her.

Anyway, I got the carrier out and lined it with the sheepskin she slept on all summer, but not since.

You can guess what happened next .. :rofl: An hour later Lulu is sitting in the carrier padding away. :rofl: The worst part is that my on-off-ex said to make a bed so now I will have to eat humble pie! :censored:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 21:08:23 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 19:55:21 PM »
I used to use Cosequin for my old arthritic cat, its capsules for joint supplements for cats/dogs/horses. You can buy it online. Might be worth a try?
https://www.animeddirect.co.uk//cosequin-cat-sprinkle-capsules-pack-of-150.html

You can get a months supply for trial on places like Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cosequin-Cat-Sprinkle-Capsules-15-Capsules-One-Month/163340847246?hash=item2607df888e:g:rQcAAOSwC6xbR1sV:rk:3:pf:0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 19:55:49 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 18:28:11 PM »
CANT ADD ANYTHING TO WHAT SUE HAS SAID BUT SEND YOU BOTH BEST WISHES AND HOPE HER PAIN GETS BETTER

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 17:22:04 PM »

Hi Firefox.  Having two cats I struggle to get to the Vet (for different reasons) I can empathise with your feelings of anxiety.

I wonder if Lulu is just feeling a bit of discomfort with her back.  I dont think there's any harm in seeing how she is overnight if she's not showing signs of being desperately uncomfortable, but the drawback is that it often costs double to have anything done at a weekend, and veterinary cover can be hit and miss, depending on how your vet functions and runs their practice.

If she's not looking any better tomorrow you could call the vet and she what they think.

As for getting her inside a cat carrier, what sort do you have?  Generally a larger carrier, with a top opening is easier for an older cat with arthritic joints or other limb issues, and for us, it's often much easier getting them in and out of those kinds of carriers too.    I can understand having hurt her once, it would make you nervous, but you need to handle her with confidence and know that it was probably an unfortunate one-off.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 16:37:45 PM »
I wondered if you lovely lot would answer some of my many questions ... starting with how do I know when to head to the vet?? Do you call the emergency vet if it is a Sunday say?

The vet staff are lovely but the whole thing is really traumatic (both anxiety/ nervous, neither get out much!). Earlier this year I really hurt her getting her in the carrier, I ended up crying in public, and she was freaked out the whole day and whole night.  :( but I don't want her in pain. It is not a financial thing I have money for whatever she needs.

Also is the corticosteroid injection in the joint (spine)? If yes will they x-ray her?Anything else I should know or expect? I am less stressy if prepared.  :thanks:

Lulu has been 'off colour' this afternoon. I will ring the vet tomorrow if she is the same. Or should I have already??

Last week (Monday) she was the same but perked up and bounced around when I let her have the tub of cat grass (it was only half a cm tall and still white!).  She has not been off her food or sick either time.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 16:48:45 PM by Fire Fox »
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
Osteoarthritis: winter care?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 16:05:19 PM »
 :scared:

Earlier this year Lulu (then ~8) was back and forth to the vet with back pain. We suspect arthritis, stemming from a suspected bump from a car whilst still a young cat (<1). Two buprenorphine (strong painkiller) injections were temporary miracles. Meloxicam (anti inflammatory) has been helpful before, but the last course was aborted because she got very sick. :sick:

Lulu was 'signed off' for the summer on Yumove Advance 360 (green lipped mussel/ omega-3s). Vet said they could try a corticosteroid injection this winter. She is getting the Yumove two thirds of the time.

[Gonna post cos this phone eats messages!]
Lulu's Catbook

Link to CatChat