Author Topic: Getting used to doggo  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
Re: Getting used to doggo
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 08:39:17 AM »
No more progress to report really.

Trixie does keep hissing and swiping at her if she goes anywhere near her. Eddie only seems interested in Trixie if she tries to go in the living room and on the few times we've let her go and investigate, Trixie has stood her ground.

Frankenstein is worrying me though. Unlike Trixie, if Eddie get's too close, he just runs off. Since Eddie isn't seeing him as much she is still excited by him. What he needs to do is give her a smack and stand his ground but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Wondering if I should try and engineer some occasions where Eddie can watch him moving around more so he isn't as exciting. If I can get her to not be that interested in him he may come downstairs more which would be great as I really miss him.

Eddie has her first afternoon at 'doggy daycare' today which I'm excited about. Will do her good to meet some other dogs.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:   It's lovely though, isn't it?   :)

When Tess was alive, she loved cats.  She adored Paddy, and the couple of cats we ended up looking after temporarily.  And what was even lovelier was that Paddy loved her too.   :)

And the dog we had before, Kindee, when she went blind, Paddy and Flynn used to act as her eyes, and ears, and would accompany her in the garden, and stay close to her side.  It was a very touching relationship.  Animals are just the best.   ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
I swear I have a habit of only having daft animals. The cats are getting a little more comfortable with Eddie and she is trying to encourage them to play with her. At one point this meant I have all three animals squirming around on their backs in different parts of the living room...

Could hear Frankie and Trixie playing downstairs in the night which was nice as they have been understandably quiet. I could also hear Eddie whining a little as she wanted to join in but was separated by the baby gate. Silly bunch of sillys.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 13:06:22 PM »
:evillaugh:

Then no wonder!   :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
It's Trixie in the pictures :) Aside from the furball incident Frankie is dealing with Eddie by staying out her way. They've both reacted how I would expect. Trixie can be very grumpy at times where as Frankenstein doesn't have a mean bone in his body. 

Eddie really tries with everyone. She is a dog that just wants everyone to love her, it's such a shame that it comes out negatively when we walk her.

It's been three weeks since Eddie joined the family and I'm mostly happy with the progress. They don't all have to be best friends (although I expect Frankie and Eddie will eventually curl up together) however I am missing the cats being downstairs in the evening. They both have tried but Eddie gets too excited and frightens them. Hopefully the more they try and the more Eddie learns to obey me the calmer things will be :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »

Slow blinks are good.   :)

I suspect Frankie has cottoned on to the fact Eddie's a permanent fixture and has decided to deal with it by sheer superiority.  Always seems to work for cats.  certainly Frankie doesn't look too put out in those photos, whereas Eddie looks like she's trying very hard......   :evillaugh:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »
He really has Ly  :rofl:

I noticed Trixie doing some really slow blinks to Eddie last night. My understanding of that body language was a relaxed, content state but I would have thought she still dislikes Ed given how she spends most of her time hissing at her :p

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 16:38:39 PM »
Frankie made his opinion of Eddie very clear!  :rofl:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
News just in. Frankenstein went into the living room whilst Eddie was there...then did a big furball.

On the plus side neither doggo or kitty seemed bothered by the presence of the other.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
She's certainly not happy that Eddie is around but, like you said, she is standing her ground.

Our other cat is OK watching but if Eddie approaches he runs. What he needs to do is give her a slap but he doesn't have a mean bone in his body so it will take them longer to get used to eachother.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 14:43:10 PM »

I think if she wasn't happy about Eddie - or at least determined to stand her ground - no way you'd have got photos like that.

When my stepdaughter's JR comes to stay (and he was a little sod, bless his paws) you wouldn't see hide or hair of our gurlies until he was long gone.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
I'm so glad someone else thinks that. My OH is still worried as sometimes Eddie does get very excited to see them however Trixie feeling confident enough to get close and have a good sniff is a real positive sign in my eyes.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 20:10:36 PM »
:wow:

That's looking like definite progress from where I'm sitting.  ;D

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 19:36:57 PM »
Well Eddie has been with us just over three weeks now and things are still a little tense but settling down.

Eddie can come in the bedroom (still firm cat territory) without getting too excited. The most she does is a little yap and then hides under the bed. Unfortunately Trixie seems to be causing most of the issues. Whenever Eddie is nearby she slaps her which makes Eddie yap. I know she is just asserting herself but Eddie is only curious and sometimes not even focusing on her. Saturday morning I was blow drying my hair and Ed hates the noise so she was hiding under the bed. Whenever she tried to brave sticking her nose out Trixie, who was sitting on top of the bed, would smack her!

This afternoon we had some good progress though. Whilst I was clearing out some clothes, Eddie jumped on the bed next to Trixie. Trixie started hissing but Eddie just rolled over. This calmed Trixie down a bit and she even got close enough to give her butt a sniff.

Eddie is still a little naughty when the cats try to come down stairs as she gets very excited and they don't like it, but...progress!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
Stuart you never stood a chance with the two lovely ladies Carol and Marissa in your life and Robbie has advised who is in charge :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
Stuart you never stood a chance with the two lovely ladies Carol and Marissa in your life and Robbie has advised who is in charge :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
you are a man with a daughter, you don't stand a chance!!

A very Persistent Daughter  :Crazy:  :evillaugh:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
you are a man with a daughter, you don't stand a chance!!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 09:34:27 AM »
He is a Lhasa apso Dawn, it took over 3 months of constant head nipping from both girls in the household before I caved  :tired:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
that is a cute little critter!  what sort is it stuart

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
Thanks Paula  :) yeah, Robbie knows who the Boss is  :evillaugh:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 05:39:26 AM »
Robbie isn't bothered at all, is he :rofl: Lovely to see you back Stuart. ;D
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 21:07:07 PM »
No Problem Sue  :evillaugh: Just Glad I eventually managed to Log into Purrs  :shocked: it's feels like it's been months  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 18:38:31 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Nice One, Stuart.  Thanks for sharing.    :)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 18:17:43 PM »
Robbie chilling as Rocky tries to get on the bed LOL

https://www.facebook.com/stuart.k.burnett/videos/10156767231098464/

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 19:52:39 PM »
Fingers crossed that this is the start of a beautiful friendship!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 17:59:49 PM »

Sounds promising.   :)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
Early days yet, but it sounds as if you're getting there. ;D

Eddie and Trixie seem to be forming some sort of connection. My partner sent me a video of them this morning where they were watching each other but not getting upset or excited. Trixie started rolling on the floor and Eddie pretty much copied her. If Eddie gets too close she still gets a slap or a hiss and if Trixie shows up unexpectedly Eddie gets excited, but progress.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
Early days yet, but it sounds as if you're getting there. ;D
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
We're slowly getting there.

Both cats will happily go downstairs when Eddie is behind the baby gate and we've had no more accidents. Our eldest cat, Frankenstein has even crept into the living room but ran off when Eddie noticed her.

last night I did Eddie's training in the bedroom with both cats on the windowsill. They were a little scared but eventually fell asleep when they saw Eddie was too busy with me. Ed did look at them a few times but she watched me when I'd call her. She still gets excited and goes close to them but the cats give her a slap or a hiss and put her back in place. Hopefully with more careful and slow introductions we'll be a calmer house in a few weeks.

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 13:36:34 PM »
Thanks for the advise all.  I'd rather not crate her as she was kept in a space pretty much 24/7 at her old home and she is a bit nervous of smaller spaces. I've moved the baby gate so it is on the kitchen and she sleeps and plays in there when we are not around - she seems happy enough. We also cover the baby gate in a blanket so she cant see them but they can all sniff and hear each other. Seems to be working so tonight I might leave the blanket off.

Both cats are becoming more curious of her, however she does tend to get excited and ruin the moment. For example she was asleep next to my partner and I on Sunday night and Frankenstein came to cuddle me like normal. He watched her but wasn't bothered. She woke up and spotted him, sniffed for a good few minutes but then yapped and he ran.

However, today she has hopefully learnt her lesson. She crept upstairs following my partner and encountered Trixie. Trixie has been the more frightened of the two cats so my partner kept a close eye on them but didn't interfere. Both Eddie and Trixie watched each other for a minute but then Eddie lost her cool and yapped. Trixie flew at her and smacked her nose! Eddie started crying and ran over to my partner who ignored her. She then followed my partner around looking sorry for herself...whilst Trixie stalked her. Trixie waited for the right moment then ran up and smacked Eddie's butt  :rofl:

We're still a long way off. Eddie does have to learn some manners, not just about being around cats. However in less than a week we are already seeing improvements. I'd like to think one day I'll have a cute picture of them all cuddled up but I will be happy with them all being in the same room without any drama!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 14:04:43 PM »

Am firmly with Liz in recommending crate training especially where you have a dog which has excitable breed traits.  The cats need to know that they have the ability to check out the "dog experience" safely, and they can do that when Eddie is having time out in her own safe place.

The way I would compare their view of Eddie's appearance is Similarar to how we'd feel if our partner moved in a complete stranger.  However "enthusiastic" and sweet that stranger was, you'd feel put out, baffled and wary.  How do you know they're not going to be a major PITA??  (You don't).  Until 2012 we always had a dog and cat household, and I know it works very well, but I really would counsel against "letting them fight it out".  Introductions and home sharing needs to respect the. Needs of all of the family members.

Got any piccies?   ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
I'd use either your last or Liz's idea, you need them to feel be comfortable with the litter tray or you could be creating issues for life. You may need to temporarily out it up there though
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 15:16:07 PM »
I would recommend crate training making it her safe place, we have 3 Border Collies who all came is as puppies to the Clan, bearing in mind they live with 50 cats of varying sorts, bengals, NFC - terrifies the dogs, Mau's a Ragdoll and lots of moggies and ferals

Mine all sleep in their crates at night, we feed them in their crates as well, it means you can close the door should the dog become a tad excited, I have 3 extra large dog crates in my lounge and all have cat beds on top of them and are their safe place in fact my youngest won't eat a treat unless we close his door so the cats can't steal it :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 15:06:28 PM »
SORRY NO NOTHING ABOUT DOGS BUT YOUR LAST IDEA SOUNDS GOOD

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
Getting used to doggo
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 13:47:26 PM »
I'm after a bit of advice. Has anyone had any experience introducing dogs and cats?

We have two cats, Frankenstein (5) and Trixie (4). On Wednesday we brought home a dog. Eddie is a five year old jack russell corgi cross and she is very sweet with my partner and I. She hasn't had the best upbringing and is very anxious. She is super sweet but she is very excitable and struggles to keep her cool when experiencing something new. She has also lived with cats before without issue.

Before Eddie came home I put a baby gate on the stairs so if the cats needed space, they had all of upstairs. At first, they were quite curious and would sit at the top of the stairs and watch the dog. Unfortunately, when Eddie noticed them she got excited and tried to get to them which scared the cats. Both cats are now ensconced upstairs and aren't even coming down to use the litter tray (ewwww). I'm worried if I move the litter tray upstairs I'm telling the cats that they essentially live up there now and they wont try and come downstairs and get used to the dog.

I know it's early days but I want to make sure I'm doing this right so not to stress the cats out.

My mother, who is my normal source for animal help, seems to think I should just let Eddie go upstairs and get beat up by the cats but I'm worried that this would be quite traumatic for both the cats and dog.

I could always move the baby gate to the kitchen and put Eddie in there when we are out or at night. That way the cats could access their litter tray without her fussing at them. Maybe then it would encourage them to come down more and get used to her scent and silly face.

Any advise would be really welcome.

Link to CatChat