Author Topic: Hyperthyroid heat intolerance help?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Hyperthyroid heat intolerance help?
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 13:04:52 PM »
a couple of posters on CatChat have had their cats treated at Wetherby within the past year - see http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6789&p=49429&hilit=wetherby&sid=79848605adf2cfdaf5975affccfd921c#p49429  and http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6300&p=49850&hilit=wetherby&sid=79848605adf2cfdaf5975affccfd921c#p49850

I'm sure either owner would be glad to pass on any info you need to know
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 22:07:41 PM »
Thanks guys, we're happy that radioactive iodine treatment is the best option for him. our vet has reccommended the wetherby centre and had suggested  RI before stabilising him as he was losing weight so quickly. It would be a risk as its preferred to stabilise them before treatment to check the kidney function. Louey doesnt have anything wrong with him that would exclude him from RI treatment (like a heart condition) so it would be our call...However...

when we took louey into the vets last wednesday he was  enough of a concern that we decided to admit him on a drip and ranatadine for a few days in a climate controlled cattery to try to get him eating again, which has fortunately worked   :yayyy: and he is now eating again and has stopped losing weight...his cough is still a mystery as he didnt cough at all while at the vets  :-: so it may be hayfever  or asthma...or nausea from the hyperthyroid But while it isnt getting worse we (Vet and us) are currently thinking to park investigating that until he is stable and concentrate on getting his weight up and thyroid levels right so he can have the RI treatment.

The weather has been cooler this week but weve got some max/min thermometers to keep an eye on the temperature in the house and and we found a personal cooler on amazon which does actually work quite well to cool down a small space so fingers crossed!

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 22:07:12 PM »
Thanks guys, we're happy that radioactive iodine treatment is the best option for him. our vet has reccommended the wetherby centre and had suggested  RI before stabilising him as he was losing weight so quickly. It would be a risk as its preferred to stabilise them before treatment to check the kidney function. Louey doesnt have anything wrong with him that would exclude him from RI treatment (like a heart condition) so it would be our call...However...

when we took louey into the vets last wednesday he was  enough of a concern that we decided to admit him on a drip and ranatadine for a few days in a climate controlled cattery to try to get him eating again, which has fortunately worked   :yayyy: and he is now eating again and has stopped losing weight...his cough is still a mystery as he didnt cough at all while at the vets  :-: so it may be hayfever  or asthma...or nausea from the hyperthyroid But while it isnt getting worse we (Vet and us) are currently thinking to park investigating that until he is stable and concentrate on getting his weight up and thyroid levels right so he can have the RI treatment.

The weather has been cooler this week but weve got some max/min thermometers to keep an eye on the temperature in the house and and we found a personal cooler on amazon which does actually work quite well to cool down a small space so fingers crossed!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 23:43:33 PM »
Gill (sneakiefeline) had her Misa treated at Langford with RI and he is brilliant now. ;D It worked perfectly. I am sure she will be full of praise for the Radio Iodine Therapy treatment if she sees this. Her sight is a bit bad so it is best if you post in large or capital text.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 13:33:32 PM »
Fingers crossed for him
Please spay your cat

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 16:55:47 PM »
If he is insured and you can go for the RI treatment I would def go for it. Which centre would you go to? When Silvie was diagnosed I don't remember her suffering from the heat, although she used to curl up in the garden under the bushes. See what your vet recommends when you see them. Silvie had her treatment 2 years ago this month and her thyroid levels ever since have been normal and she is fine. Only downside was staying away for 4 weeks but it soon went ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 14:52:15 PM »
the centre you are going to use for the I131 treatment will have the last word on whether he is ready, so hopefully your own vet will consult with them

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 14:45:27 PM »
Am so sorry to hear Louey is suffering this way with the hot weather.  I haven't come across it before, but I'm wondering if a cool pad would work if you could pop it in one of his favourite spots for resting? 

Your Vet's suggestion may not be a bad option in the circumstances.  Sending a gentle rub for your little man.  x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
Hyperthyroid heat intolerance help?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 21:51:05 PM »
Louey was diagnosed Hyperthyroid a few weeks ago, we thought he was hyperthyroid last summer but his blood tests came back in the high end of normal. He seemed fine over winter and then has become unwell again this year and his blood tests now agree!
Hes used to be 4kg but this year has gone from 3.85kg to 3.6kg. Hes not eating well- hes never been food motivated and has only ever grazed. Hes now very fussy and unwilling to eat old favourites like chicken. This is a-typical for Hyperthyroid but hes also doing alot of coughing (Heart rate is normal, vet doesnt think his heart is concerning) and lip licking- in particular after sniffing food so i think hes nauseous. Weve been tracking his moods and he seems to be much worse on warmer days and i understand heat intolerance can be a symptom of Hyperthyroid.
We dont have a cat flap and we have 2 other ganets cats that eat all his tempting food before he can if not separated so its difficult to find a cool place to put him for the day.We are thinking of hiring air con for a few weeks? has anyone else experienced this? Im worried about dehydration so i may just start wiping him with wet tea towels but that doesnt help while we are at work and i dont want to stress him.
We are back in the vets tomorrow to ask for something for the sickness and the vet has suggested that we go straight to the radioactive iodine treatment rather than waiting for him to stabilise.... its not ideal but if he keeps losing weight it would be better to get on it early.

Link to CatChat