Author Topic: Bass is very poorly  (Read 6587 times)

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
Re: Bass is very poorly
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
Hope she is well this morning and continues that way xxx

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2018, 14:25:07 PM »
Thanks. It's just amazing how more like her old self she is. At the moment she's lying on the sofa stretched out and relaxing - she's even having tummy rubs!

I'm cautiously optimistic that she's going to be one of those cases which confound the prognosis and hang around for another year.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
Popping by to send gentle chin rubs to Bass xxx  :cat rub:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »
Ah.  Truly a beautiful thing  ;)  Bless her paws.  Glad the Gourmet and a cuddle were her prize.  :Luv: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »
Thanks Gill and Sue.

Bass is doing well - although we had another night of little sleep due to her singing the song of her people. It's trial and error working out what she wants (I'm not sure she knows herself) but last night half a tin of Gourmet and sitting with her on the sofa for 10 minutes seemed to do it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 22:21:40 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 07:03:31 AM »
Popping by to send gentle snoozles to Bass this morning, and also to give you a  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 17:47:53 PM »
SENDING LOADS OF  :hug: :hug: :hug: FOR YOU BOTH

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 15:16:37 PM »
I am glad that there is a small positive and that you have her for a long time to come.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee we have, I'm just hoping.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 13:37:07 PM »
I am glad that there is a small positive and that you have her for a long time to come. :crossed: :care: :care: :care: :blow kiss:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
She's still doing well, thanks, the steroids make a huge difference. She's more like her old self, eating well, and no howling till about 5am this morning (usually it's every hour).

The vet called me a couple of days ago with the results of the scan (they always get sent off for assessing, even when the vet can see something obvious on them). The lab said the growths (there are three) are probably meningiomas, which grow in the membrane surrounding the brain and not in the brain itself. They're usually slow growing which, given their size, probably means she's had them a long time.

On the positive side - such as it is - they're usually benign so they won't have travelled to other parts of her body. It's still impossible to say how long she has but given that the tumours are slow growing, it could be we have her for a while yet.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
How is Bass today? :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
Sending gentle snoozles for Bass. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
Thanks everyone.
Bass is doing quite well - had a bit of an upset tummy in the middle of the night (I won't go into details  :sick: ) but she's bright again this morning and seems to have stopped walking in circles.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 18:24:47 PM »
So sorry to read this while catching up on Purrs.

Just sending gentle snuggles to Bass, and lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you. :Luv2:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 18:12:07 PM »
Heather, Bass is on steroids - which have certainly perked her up - but she has more than one growth and they're not operable (given her advanced years, I doubt she's survive surgery anyway).
The vet also said the tumours are quite advanced. Bass has either had them for a long time or they're the fast-growing type.  :censored:

yes my friends horse has 2 tumours but it wasnt surgery they just wanted to inject direct into the tumours (sounds a bit scarey) but said it had been done on cats and dogs before. Hopefully the steroids will perk her up and she can enjoy a bit of time with you :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
Heather, Bass is on steroids - which have certainly perked her up - but she has more than one growth and they're not operable (given her advanced years, I doubt she's survive surgery anyway).

The vet also said the tumours are quite advanced. Bass has either had them for a long time or they're the fast-growing type.  :censored:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:47:28 AM by jezebel »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 08:59:17 AM »
Topping up the positive thoughts and warmest of hugs for you and Bass today  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 20:41:25 PM »
Very sad news. I'm so sorry  :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 20:18:32 PM »
Thats very sad news. Is there nothing they can do? A horse at the yard where I keep my horse was diagnosed with 2 brain tumours last year, he has been on steroids and steroid injections but as its so deep in brain they can't operate. They did suggest injecting into the tumour itself to try and shrink them, but the vet had only ever done it on dogs and cats, not on a horse and decided not to in the end. But the horse is still fine, isnt ridden but seems happy enough, the steroids are keeping it at bay as far as we can tell. :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 17:48:02 PM »
Last night Bass spent the whole night on the sofa, and seemed to sleep soundly because she didn't howl once.

She's a little brighter today, more like her old self and still not howling much. Good appetite on her too.

Although she somehow managed to slide off the sofa earlier. I've no idea how - I heard a thump and suddenly she was lying on the rug. Her face was a picture (I know I shouldn't laugh but she's got such a serious little face!).

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 13:45:56 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear the scan showed a brain tumour - my Molly had a suspected brain tumour, she had two seizures and then one evening she just couldn't settle and kept going round in circles, and I knew it was time. You really will know, but until then, spend as much time with her as you can, and make sure you get plenty of pics. They can pick up on things, Molly had been misdiagnosed with cancer when she was 17, and I had to stop crying myself to sleep when she got huffy at that and refused to come to bed!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 12:55:59 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this and am sending lots of love your way  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 08:51:24 AM »
Just popping by to top up the vibes for you and the love and hugs for Bass xxx :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that Oscar had an inoperable tumour in his stomach and kay was very helpful to me too he loved his food and when that stopped we knew it was time we had about two months as kay said you know but bass doesn't check regarding the pain they told us Oscar wasn't in pain

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 20:18:42 PM »
That's really helpful, thanks Kay.

I'm not sure if Bass is in pain, but I'll ask the vet about metacam when I speak to her next week.

TBH, if she needs to be as high as a kite to enjoy what time she's got left, that's fine by me!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 18:52:00 PM »
Trigger's tumour was at the very top of his leg, and as it grew he struggled to move - he lived for two months after diagnosis, and on warm days (it was September) I used to carry him into the garden, where he basked very happily in the sun

in October the weather turned colder, and he took up residence in the top bed of the cat tree, where I used to bring him his food - he never lost his appetite, and it was a good place to make lots of fuss of him

part of keeping him comfortable was daily Metacam, and no vet visits once it was clear nothing could be done for him - he hated being put in a carrier so that was an important part of managing his last days

it sounds as if keeping Bass from moving around as much as you can might be helpful, and if she enjoys being outside finding a special place for her would be good

a brain tumour will not affect her digestive tract, I assume, so you should be able to feed her whatever she likes best - Trigger loved liver, and even ate a bit whilst the vet was here to euthanize him

I do think too it's important that you know her days are numbered, but she doesn't - she  only knows how she feels on a day to day basis, so I wouldn't for a moment feel you need to do anything she doesn't like even if it buys her (and you) more time
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 18:08:20 PM »
Thanks Kay. Are there any tips you can give me for keeping Bass comfortable and managing her? I have a heated pad but she's never been too bothered about it, and she's never taken to any of the cat beds I've bought. She loves sleeping in the cat tree during the day, and on the sofa with us in the evening. At night she sleeps on our bed. She's never really liked pampering or being spoilt (unlike her sister!) so I don't know what else I can do for her.

I just got her back from the vet and she was starving - watching her wolf down a load of roast chicken and half a bowl of Felix, it's hard to believe how ill she is.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 17:34:36 PM »
 It's a huge thing to absorb but I believe Kay when she says you'll know.  You know Bass as well as you know yourself.  Take each day as it comes and enjoy each special, precious hour with her.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 17:02:51 PM »
I do so feel for you - if it helps at all, I felt devasted at first when I found out my Trigger had an inoperable tumour, but that first week of absorbing the news was the worst - once I'd got over the shock it was possible to concentrate on making him comfortable and keeping him pain free, and when the time came - and you will know - letting him go was just the final act in the process of managing his death

I hope you have long enough with Bass to say goodbye properly, and to feel at peace when the time comes to send her on her way
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 15:41:14 PM »
Thank you Sue.

Vet said she would be surprised if Bass lasted a month. All they can do is give her palliative care (steriods seem to help her a little) until we decide she's had enough.

People say you'll know when the time is right but I really can't imagine how that feels. Right now I just feel a bit sick.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 15:31:37 PM »
Oh sweetheart.  I am so sorry.  I don't think any of us would've suspected this.  I can understand how devastating the diagnosis is for you.  Were they able to give any indication of the prognosis?

I am sending the largest of hugs for you.  They won't ease the pain of finding this out, but they're sincerely meant.   :hug: :hug:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Bass is very poorly
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 14:57:26 PM »
Just go the results of Bass' CT scan and she has a brain tumour.

I was trying to stay positive and hope it had something to do with her thyroid, or even dementia. Even though the vet had warned me it might be this, I still wasn't prepared.

I feel stupidly helpless.

Link to CatChat